“Great Wedding Experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Letterkenny, Co. Donegal
“Great Wedding Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 January 2012

Spent one night in the Blue Haven in March 2011 for a friend's wedding.
The room rate was very reasonable and well worth it for the beautiful room I was given.
An extremely comfortable bed, flatscreen tv, trouser press, tea/coffee and a well stocked bathroom with excellent shower made the stay just perfect.
I only ate once in the bar, just before the serivce, but the seafood chowder was to die for.
This was washed down with two pints of smithwicks which were perfectly chilled.
Breakfast was nice the next morning, but I must confess that I was a little 'queasy' and a bit upset not to be able to finish the tasty looking eggs and bacon.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone wishing to visit a beautiful town liek Kinsale.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights last week with my mother. Travelled from Cork so there in no time! We had a really lovely Winter break there with a good room and excellent food. The staff couldn't have been more helpful. It was very good value costing 112 euro each for the room for the 2 days. Breakfast and evening meals were included in the rate and we each got a 10 euro voucher for the old bank gourmet shop. I would recommend this hotel for a short break in January.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
cork city
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

On first arriving we were very happy with the location of the Hotel, as is is right in the center of the town, with anything you would need in perfect reach. Then on entry into the hotel, it is beautifully decorated with simple design to suite every taste.We were also very happy with out rooms, as they were decorated beautifully and had all the facilities anyone would need for a few nights away. They also inclde breakfast each morning of the stay, which is freshly made as you order to your own preference, with a good variety on the menu to choose from and was lovely good quality food.
While there we ate in the Fish Market the first night, had a cookery class in Aparatife the second day and dinner in Hamlets that day also, and lunch in Hamlets the day we were leaving. All the resturants are two seconds walk from the hotel and all owned by the Blue haven. I could not fault the high quality food we recieved in any of the places we ate, however if I had to pick a favourite i would have to say Hamlets as it is an italian menu which is more my taste, and the chicken sandwhich with chill mayo was the nicest I have ever tasted and would recommend it to everyone!!
I would also highly recomend the coctail training in Hamlets for a groupof friends, it was a great experience.. Such a laugh to start off a good saturday night with the girls!
Also of the staff could not do enough to help us, and they were all genuinelly some of the nicest people I have ever met, and this is true for all the staff in all the other businesses owned by the blue haven group, and although this was my first visit to Kinsale, it will not be my last simply because of all the people working there I could not say enough good things about them.

Room Tip: We had rooms 18 and 12. They both had twin beds and were beautifully decorated. Room 12 is situated...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 January 2012

Stayed here only one night for a quick getaway from Dublin to show the area to o/s visiter. First impression was that location was very central - important for two ladies. We felt very safe walking around the town, had a drink at Ned Kelly's, chatted with one of the friendly locals there, then a two minute walk to the hotel. The receptionist, Madeleine, is one of the hotel's greatest assets. Every time we walked past reception, she was helping people with useful information, either on the phone or in person. Similarly with us. She went out of her way to find answers to questions we had with regard to other places we were visiting after we left Kinsale. Also gave us room upgrades which was appreciated. A large number of dining options around, but after checking them all out, we decided to eat at the hotel's bistro, a choice we were very happy with. Food and service were excellent, then we could move in to the bar next door and listen to some live music until time to retire. Parking is a 5 min walk but that didn't bother us. We were both very happy with our stay at Blue Haven, and will stay again when I return to the area with my husband.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2012

Stayed two nights in the Blue Haven in Kinsale. The location was perfect, right in the heart of kinsale town. On arrival we were met by a friendly receptionist who gave us all the information we required and more about kinsale and what was available. To make things easier she even made our reservations for dinner for both nights. Great start so far to the weekend. The room was really nice with a big comfy bed. On the first night we dined in the hotels restaurant and all i can say is the seafood chowder and pate were to die for. Fantastic. Throughout our stay from stepping into the hotel the service was five stars. Couldn't of asked for anymore. Can't wait to go back.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank casey c
Galway, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 January 2012

it has been quite a while since I wrote a review but I had such a positive experience in Kinsale and the Blue haven that I felt I had to.I recently stayed in the blue haven with my wife and 2 young children.When we checked in the receptionist straight away offered us a different room than the 1 they had us down for due toit being slightly bigger.(this was very thoughtful). The hotel does not have a lift but it is not a new hotel and has old world feel to it , if we needed a lift that badly we could have stayed in one of the new impersonal hotels, as it happens a barmanor waiter saw us bringing buggy etc upstairs and helped us. The room was spotless a little old but had all the facilities we needed and was overlooking the harbour..We popped down to the bar for some food , i do not eat fish but my wife does she said the meal she had was top class, i stuck with my steak and could not fault it in anyway, it was cooked as ordered and the waiting staff were busy but friendly and efficent.we had a very good nights sleep and breakfast was great cooked fresh and prompt. we were checked out by a friendly receptionist .overall i would recommend this hotel and will be back and kinsale itself is beautiful .

Room Tip: ask, if you do not ask at reception on check in they will upgrade. I always ask and very rarely am i...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank familyguy243
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for 2 nights over New Years weekend. We were both looking for somewhere cosy and quiet to spend the New Year and he picked the Blue Haven after staying here before. The offer was 360 euro for 2 nights bed and breakfast and New Years dinner. Our room was on the top floor (beware no lift if you have a big suitcase) and at the back on the hotel (not much of a view as you'd imagine). Our room was small but had all the facilities that you need (tea/coffee, TV, wardrobe, ironing board & iron). Bed was very comfortable and room was warm. The shower wasn't great though. My advice is to ask for one of the larger rooms when you book. There was a bit of noise from Hamlets (bar) on the Sunday night but it wrapped up early so was quiet after that. We ate in the restaurant on NYE and had a gorgeous meal - chowder was amazing. Breakfast was served in the bisrto and I was impressed with the selection on offer. The staff were all really nice and helpful where possible - especially to the chef from Belfast who jump started my car the day we were leaving!!!

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple