“Most Wonderful Experience Ever.”
Review of Blue Haven Hotel

Blue Haven Hotel
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Reviewed 13 January 2013

We recently held our small wedding reception at this beautiful, old, small hotel. I cannot possibly overstate how magnificent it was.
If it was possible to give 6 stars (out of 5) I would.
I have stayed in hundreds of hotels in Ireland, and worldwide ( including 5 star hotels), and none have compared with this level of service, charm, comfort, and food.
I know it was my wedding, and we may have received special treatment, but I truly have never experienced such wonderful service. And not just us, many of our guests stayed over for two nights, and were constantly looked after. Nothing was too much trouble.
And a BIG. Special thanks to Magda, who personally went out of her way to meet our every need.
On the afternoon after the wedding, some of us were having a quiet drink in this bar. Magda approached and said, "You haven't eaten anything since 11 o'clock - I'll get you something."
She returned a few minutes later with a platter of cheeses, relishes, and breads.

I strongly recommended the Blue Haven to anyone who wants to have a relaxing, charming, decadent, and really wonderful experience.

Room Tip: Rooms 15 and 11 are particularly good. You can also stay in the sister Old Bank House, which is jus...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 8 January 2013

I had the pleasure of staying in the Blue Haven/Old Bank in December '12 and cannot praise it enough! The rooms were excellent, staff were very friendly and helpful with very good food to choose from. To top it all, it is right in the hear of Kinsale a great location for seeing at the sights, browsing the quaint streets and taking in the wonderful atmosphere of the town. I will stay there again on my next visit and will always refer friends and business associates.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 31 December 2012

I recently attended a wedding in Kinsale and stayed in Room 20 (Single Room) of the Blue Haven Hotel Kinsale. On first impressions of the hotel and accommodation I was impressed. The service and the attitude of the staff was impressive as was all the facilities in the hotel, breakfast, comfort and hospitality. However, I don't know whether the worse rooms are reserved for single people (who have less of a voice than 2 people), as I discovered that in Room 20 the shower was luke warm at the most, the kettle didn't work and cold air came in through a window that wouldn't close. This made what should have been a comfortable stay uncomfortable and I was highly disappointed as it wasn't what I was expecting at all. It's fair to say that friends (couples) who were staying in other rooms in this hotel had a fabulous experience without any of the draw backs I experienced. To be honest my experience would make me think twice about staying here again as unfortunately it appeared to me that the worse rooms are being offered out to single people and to experience this being followed through into the quality of accommodation offered is very disappointing. I certainly wouldn't hesitate by saying it is worthwhile place to stay & visit but whatever you do, if you are a single person don't stay in Room 20 of this hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank ladyp69
Reviewed 18 December 2012

This was a December visit to Kinsale when the town was rather quiet. Relative to other places in town, the Blue Haven was nicely busy at night. On a cold night it was cosy and comfortable and the restaurant was reasonably busy, not like other restaurants in town. The evening meal was nice quality and the service was friendly and helpful. The bedroom was small and old fashioned but had the basic facilities. Floor board noise from above comes through, without it being a major problem. It is basically very dated upstairs. Breakfast was poor overall. The diningroom was cold, the layout of the cereals and other starters was quite poor. The cooked breakfast was unattractive in taste and presentation. Clonakilty black pudding was not served. We had got a special deal which made this hotel stay reasonably good value. However,it did not live up to our expectations, particularly breakfast.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2012 via mobile

Even though the Christmas party season was in full flow we lived this ace hotel. Exceptionally helpful friendly staff, good food, fab breakfasts and brilliant live music! The sons of Steve McQueen rock!
I'd love to go back to kinsale and would not think twice about staying here again(and again)

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed 14 December 2012

We had a long hard day on the road and ended up in Kinsale later than we wished we had. Too many evenings on small narrow winding roads in the dark where they drive 80mph finally got to us! At first my husband said "This town is a dump!" We were so tired! It was a little bit of an effort as there is no elevator. Our room was good sized and the bathroom was nice. We ended up staying in the room that night. We couldn't gather up enough energy to do down to the bar to hear the music! After a good night's sleep we awoke to a quaint and charming village! It had beautiful little shops. The breakfast was really good. It was the first relief from all of the same breakfasts we had while we were in Ireland. We had Eggs Benedict and wonderful raspberry pancakes. The staff were very friendly and helpful! What seemed to start out as something not so good turned into something very nice!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kahaluu
Reviewed 9 December 2012

. We stayed here last May and again in November and were not disappointed. The staff were brilliant, always helpful and friendly. Breakfast was great, fresh and cooked to order, plenty of choice. We also dined in the Bistro and the Bar and found the food excellent. The hotel collection also have lovely cafe and coffee shop, just the thing to have a mid morning of afternoon break and relax. We stayed 2 nights but relaxation wise felt as good as a week break. Entertainment in bar in evenings was good. Kinsale is great place to visit and to eat out, but really The Blue Haven Collection has it all, you would not need to go any place else. I'm planning my next visit already.
Liz

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinsale
Actons Hotel Kinsale
#2 of 5 in Kinsale
Centre
The River Lee
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
Old Bank House
#14 of 52 in Kinsale

Been to Blue Haven Hotel? Share your experiences!