“Beware. Bring a dust mask and ear plugs if you plan on staying here.”

Trident Hotel Kinsale
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Reviewed 30 April 2011

I arrived at the Trident hotel, Kinsale on a beautiful sunny evening, Wednesday the 27th of April. I had booked a 2 night stay for my mother and myself as a birthday present for her. We met Charlotte with whom I had made trhe reservation 5 days earlier. She gave me the room key and advised us that there was some renovation work on the floor above us but it was unlikely to disturb us and in any case work was only carried out from 10am to 4.30 pm each day.
We made our way along the first corridor and came to a door leading us to the second corridor where our room was located. A sign on the door applogised for any inconvenience caused by the ongoing work. As soon as we opened the door we could hear the sounds of a kango hammer and as we turned the corner we were enveloped in a cloud of fine dust. To our horror and disbelief we discovered that our room was located at the end of a corridor along which at least 8 rooms were in the process of being completely gutted. Ours was the last room on the corridor and seemed to be the only one not currently undergoing work. In the room next to ours the kango hammer was busy dismanteling the walls in the bathroom. We stepped into the room to get out of the dust filled corridor for a few moments and catch our breath. My mother is athsmatic so we couldn't delay too long in the dust. I phoned Charlotte at reception but as neither of us could hear the other over the noise we quickly left the room and returned to reception.
I discribed the scene to Charlotte and explained that we could not possibly stay in this room. She insisted that the work would end at 4.30pm and the area would be left clean. I'm not sure what kind of miracle vaccume cleaner the hotel has but the kind of fine dust that is created by a kango hammer is is very difficult to eliminate. I tried several times to explain to Charlotte that this room was not suitable to offer to guests but she repeated the mantra that the works would only be carried out from 10 to 4.30 as if this should be perfectly acceptable to us. I asked her why she hadn't told me that there was major renovation work going on in the hotel when I made the booking the previous Saturday and she had made no mention of it in her confirmation e-mail. She told me that it was supposed to have finished earlier in the week. Nobody looking at these rooms could believe that. I told her that we could not stay there and her only reply was that she was sorry but there were no other rooms available.
She did not offer any further assistance to us. I had to ask her to book us a room in another hotel in the town. She found a hotel that could accomodate us and when I enquired about the price she told me that it was the same as they were charging. When I reminded her that the rate she had given me included dinner on one night she admitted that dinner was not included at the alternative hotel. At my insistence she agreed that we could have dinner at their tavern that night. I felt that at the very least she should have offered to find us another hotel and offered us dinner.
In light of the recent tradegy at this hotel I feel that they showed little regard for the safety of their guests and I'm apalled at their insensitivity in expecting guests to stay in a room on the corridor where the reminders of this tradgey are so evident. At the very least this area should be closed to the public while this work is going on. If you are offered a room numbered 111 to 127 or similar numbers on the second floor were work is also taking place then bring a dust mask and ear plugs.

• Stayed: April 2011
3  Thank shaycat
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2011

Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

I am sorry that your experience was not as it should be in the Trident Hotel. Unfortunately the refurbishment of some of our rooms went on longer that we had expected due to some unforseen delays. I hindsight we should have arranged alternative accommodation for you in another hotel in advance but we had hoped to have the area cleaned and prepare before the rooms were needed. I apologise for this. I hope that you did enjoy your dinner in our Wharf Tavern that evening.

I would be pleased if you would contact me directly to arrange an opportunity to come and stay with us again to see what was being done and how peaceful it normally is in the Trident.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Trident Hotel.

There are newer reviews for Trident Hotel Kinsale

Reviewed 18 April 2011

we have just returned from trident hotel today and we will most def be goin there again..
when we arrived which was early our room was ready and we got a free up grade to an excutive suite which we were so delighted with and we had a beautiful sea and harbour view to wake up to.....our car was just parked underneath our room...we stayed for 2 nights with breakfast included and there was a choice of everything....breakfast was lovely and the staff were very friendly...the rooms were spotless and any thing we wanted it was there...i would def recommend this hotel and we will definitly be back both in kinsale and staying in the trident hotel....

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us in the Trident. Your comments are very much appreciated and I'm pleased that you are looking forward to your next visit to the Trident and Kinsale. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 15 April 2011

Hotel looks slightly dated from the outside but good position on the harbour. It looks like the best hotel as you drive around the harbour and it's the very last one. Food was delightful. No issues. Lovely views from the restaurant. We fed the baby earlier in the attached bar which was great for €2.50 you could buy mashed veg and potatoes for babies. Great idea. Kids menu available also. Staff pleasant enough. It was a good experience.5'

• Stayed: April 2011

Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay at the Trident Hotel. We are very fortunate to be in such a lovely location with views from all our public rooms and the vast majority of our bedrooms.

I'm glad that you found our childrens food offerings satisfactory and that you enjoyed you own food also.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Trident soon.

Reviewed 13 March 2011

Stayed in the Trident again this year for 3 nights B&B cost us 198 euro...really good value,
check in fast and efficient
rooms modern clean, nice bathroom in the exec rooms
gorgeous view, really is breathtaking
breakfast...really nice, loved the fruit with yogurt..full Irish, delicious..lovely room with views over the port.
we have been to Kinsale a few times before and ate in various places in town, all of which was wonderful, but this time we just ate dinner in the hotel each night..seabass, delicious and fresh...the hake prawns and muscles in a champagne sauce, yummy...traditional fish and chips, .very filling..and of course the seafood chowder, the best you can eat.
It was a special birthday for me and the manager Hal and Amy, had a lovely bottle of white wine waiting for me when we checked in...was a lovely touch..and very much appreciated
Check out was again easy and fast
If i could sum up my stay ....friendly staff...relaxing easy going way with the hotel...good food...and stunning views

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple

Thank you for you very kind comment on your recent stay at the Trident Hotel.

I'ts always a pleasure to have you staying with us and I'm glad that Amy spotted that you had a 'special' birthday before you came to us the last time.

We look forward to siing you again soon.

Kind Regards,

Reviewed 1 March 2011

It just doesn't get better - Kinsale is a favourite, but the Trident is a big part of that. As for the food - very very good, the bar lunch is the best you can get - family are sick of me timing arrival and departures to ensure I get lunch on both days!
A big thanks to Hal and his team - they continue to surpass our expectations time and time again

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business

Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

We welcome your very positive comments on the Trident Hotel and we're delighted that you enjoy our lunchtime offerings as well. We are very fortunate that we have a very loyal lunchtime clientel coming to us on a regular basis and I'm pleased that you go to the effort of getting here for lunch!

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 26 February 2011

The minute we stepped inside the hotel we had nothing but a fantastic experience. Upgraded to an Executive room with the most amazing views over the harbour, friendly staff (Karen was lovely!!!), lovely food. The staff went out of their way to make our family weekend memorable.
We enjoyed it so much we are looking to book in our next weekend.
Would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

We much appreciate having your very welcome comments on your family stay at the Trident Hotel.

We are fortunate to be situated overlooking Kinsale Harbour and also to have excellent staff like Karen you mentioned.

We hope that we will be welcoming you back to the Trident before too long.

Reviewed 15 February 2011

Just had a great girls weekend in the Trident Hotel in Kinsale. There is nothing nicer than finding your big bedroom with a lovely big clean ensuite has a view looking straight over the bay. The lively bar does a great choice of food and wines and the staff are really friendly and helpful - nothing is too much and its all done with typical Irish sense of humour. The breakfast also was very good a lot of choice and freshly cooked to order, but remember portions are always BIG in Ireland, and you sit again over looking the water in the Pier restaurant. Also we got a very good deal for the weekend and would highly recommend this restaurant to all sorts.

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled with friends

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your review on the Trident Hotel.

What can I say - other than to thank you for your positive comments? It is so much easier to post a review if you have some negative comments, so we very much appreciate hearing how you enjoyed yourselves. I am delighted that you enjoyed your girls visit to the Trident and Kinsale and that you found the rooms and food to your liking.

I hope that you will return to the Trident Hotel again soon.

Managing Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinsale
Actons Hotel Kinsale
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
Perryville House
#6 of 53 in Kinsale

Been to Trident Hotel Kinsale? Share your experiences!