“Bring slippers as the carpets in the bedrooms leave a lot to be desired”

Trident Hotel Kinsale
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
“Bring slippers as the carpets in the bedrooms leave a lot to be desired”
Reviewed 26 May 2011

I have just returned from three nights stay in the Trident Hotel and I will not be returning. How this hotel has a 4* rating is beyond me.
The first person I came across was the receptionist who was far from welcoming, but improved somewhat as the days was on. The rooms are in desperate need of a revamp, with the carpet in my room badly stained, the bed not terrible comfortable with one sheet and a rather awful blanket on top. The bathroom was tiny with the fear of ending up in the toilet when you climb out of the shower, which had a dirty shower curtain hung by a rusty shower rail. 3* maybe 4* most defiantly not!!!

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank Galwa
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 31 May 2011
Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

I am sorry that you were not happy with your stay with us and particularly that your welcome was not good. One comment that recurrs is that our staff are friendly and helpful and I apologise that this is not what you experienced.

We have just completed refurbishment in 20 of our standard rooms and unfortunately you may have been here when the work was ongoing, as it was delayed, and your visit may have been effected by that work.

I hope that you may take the opportunity to visit us again and if you wish to do so, please contact me directly to see if I can make your visit more comfortable.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Korean first
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed 24 May 2011

I have just taken a group of 45 Incentive qualifiers from South Africa to Kinsale where we stayed for 3 nights at the Trident Hotel. They have not stopped raving about their stay, and rightly so.
Everything went according to clockwork and the events the hotel ran for us were wonderful. Staff are really accomodating and kind, the food was lovely and you cant find a better location in Kinsale. Rooms are wonderfully appointed and very roomy, great beds and all you need on hand.
Hal and his team were so good to us and they will defiinitely see many of us back again - hopefully very soon. Thank you for having us to stay and being so welcoming and professional. Janet Aldworth, Sure Voyager Travel, Durban, South Africa.

• Stayed May 2011
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 26 May 2011
Dear Janet,

Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

It is unusual to be able to identify the reviewer so this is a welcome change to know who I am addressing.

We are delighted that your group enjoyed their stay in the Trident and Kinsale. Kinsale offers wonderful opportunities for incentive groups, as you found out, with all the great water based activities from our marina and the fine restaurants and bars throughout the town with an array of great shops and galleries. The access to Cork International Airport only 20 minutes drive away makes it easy for individuals and groups to get to Kinsale.

Having has such professional planning and organisation in advance made it very easy for us to look after your group and everything went according to plan.

Many thanks for choosing the Trident Hotel for this prestigeous group.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Marin County, CA
Reviewed 18 May 2011

The hotel is located on the harbour about a 10-minute walk from the town centre. We arrived on a Sunday afternoon, when Kinsale is very crowded, for a 2-day stay. There were 5 parking spaces available at the hotel.

The hotel is somewhat dated but very well maintained. The room was very nice with excellent views across the harbour (and the parking lot). While we were there a dry bulk carrier loaded with grain docked by the front of the hotel. It was interesting watxhing the unloading by a crain with a clam shell. The grain dust from the unloading coated the car.

Nice bed and pillows, free internet, nice breakfast and all the other features that you would expect.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Trident Hotel.

We are very fortunate to have a great location and wonderful views of Kinsale Harbour. The fact that the harbour boasts a number of nautical activities is unique with the occasional unloading of a visiting coaster, local trawlers unloading their catch and all the activity of the leisure craft sailing in the harbour area. There are harbour tours and sail charters available among other activities from our marina.

There is free parking at the Trident and we have space for the vast majority of our our resident rooms and we can assist our guests at peak times.

I hope we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Trident.

Versailles, Kentucky
Reviewed 17 May 2011

My husband and I did not actually stay here. We booked a room for 2 nights and had paid for it about 2 months in advance. They knew we were coming but had not made appropriate accomodations despite our reservation. The afternoon we arrived (about 4:00) the desk clerk gave me the key to our room while my husband off loaded our luggage. I went up to the room and could not believe what I saw. Our quiet room that was supposed to over-look the water was in a construction/remodeling zone over looking the garbage cans and parking lot. When I complained to the clerk and my husband, the clerk informed me that they had no other rooms and that the workmen would be done in a couple of hours. She did not seem to think it was a problem and she also declined to go up to look at the room and the area when I doubted what she said about no rooms or the workmen. I was incredulous! Instead my husband went up and found my description of drilling, sawing, hammering, painting, plastering, plumbing and, in essense, that major remodeling being done, was accurate. The workmen would not have been done in two weeks much less two hours since they were doing the whole floor of that wing, and maybe the whole wing itself. It as only after we threatened to cancel that they made arrangements for us at the Actons. I am glad they did, but wonder why the female clerk didn't know about the extent of the work being done, and was so belligerent that I was mistaken but changed her mind husband when my husband complained. I love Kinsale, but there is no way I'd stay at the Trident after this incident. (Note: in my review of the Actons I mis-named the Trident and called it the Triton. My bad!)

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs.
Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank fromadistance1
Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

I am sorry that your experience of the Trident Hotel was so negative and that your complaints were not dealt with appropriately.

I can only apologise to you and ask that you could contact me to discuss the issues and to hopefully offer you an opportunity to come and stay with our compliments to experience the more positive aspects of the Trident Hotel and Kinsale.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Rathfarnham Dublin 14
Reviewed 15 May 2011

Booked the mastersuite for a special occasion. On arrival discovered no parking spaces available so had to park in the public carpark in town and walk back to the hotel. The balcony with beautiful views was filthy and the room had cleaning issues. Tv did not work and the breakfast served in the room was inedible. Reception staff appeared disinterested on receipt of our complaint. Overall very disappointing.

• Stayed April 2011
Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

I am very sorry that your stay at the Trident was not as it should have been and that you did not find our facilities and service to your satisfaction.

It is disappointing that we allowed our standards to slip and that your balcony -with it's great views- and room were not up to our usual standards.

I would welcome the opportunity to discuss these issues with you and hopefully make amends in some way.

Mullingar, Ireland
Reviewed 30 April 2011

I arrived at the Trident hotel, Kinsale on a beautiful sunny evening, Wednesday the 27th of April. I had booked a 2 night stay for my mother and myself as a birthday present for her. We met Charlotte with whom I had made trhe reservation 5 days earlier. She gave me the room key and advised us that there was some renovation work on the floor above us but it was unlikely to disturb us and in any case work was only carried out from 10am to 4.30 pm each day.
We made our way along the first corridor and came to a door leading us to the second corridor where our room was located. A sign on the door applogised for any inconvenience caused by the ongoing work. As soon as we opened the door we could hear the sounds of a kango hammer and as we turned the corner we were enveloped in a cloud of fine dust. To our horror and disbelief we discovered that our room was located at the end of a corridor along which at least 8 rooms were in the process of being completely gutted. Ours was the last room on the corridor and seemed to be the only one not currently undergoing work. In the room next to ours the kango hammer was busy dismanteling the walls in the bathroom. We stepped into the room to get out of the dust filled corridor for a few moments and catch our breath. My mother is athsmatic so we couldn't delay too long in the dust. I phoned Charlotte at reception but as neither of us could hear the other over the noise we quickly left the room and returned to reception.
I discribed the scene to Charlotte and explained that we could not possibly stay in this room. She insisted that the work would end at 4.30pm and the area would be left clean. I'm not sure what kind of miracle vaccume cleaner the hotel has but the kind of fine dust that is created by a kango hammer is is very difficult to eliminate. I tried several times to explain to Charlotte that this room was not suitable to offer to guests but she repeated the mantra that the works would only be carried out from 10 to 4.30 as if this should be perfectly acceptable to us. I asked her why she hadn't told me that there was major renovation work going on in the hotel when I made the booking the previous Saturday and she had made no mention of it in her confirmation e-mail. She told me that it was supposed to have finished earlier in the week. Nobody looking at these rooms could believe that. I told her that we could not stay there and her only reply was that she was sorry but there were no other rooms available.
She did not offer any further assistance to us. I had to ask her to book us a room in another hotel in the town. She found a hotel that could accomodate us and when I enquired about the price she told me that it was the same as they were charging. When I reminded her that the rate she had given me included dinner on one night she admitted that dinner was not included at the alternative hotel. At my insistence she agreed that we could have dinner at their tavern that night. I felt that at the very least she should have offered to find us another hotel and offered us dinner.
In light of the recent tradegy at this hotel I feel that they showed little regard for the safety of their guests and I'm apalled at their insensitivity in expecting guests to stay in a room on the corridor where the reminders of this tradgey are so evident. At the very least this area should be closed to the public while this work is going on. If you are offered a room numbered 111 to 127 or similar numbers on the second floor were work is also taking place then bring a dust mask and ear plugs.

• Stayed April 2011
3 Thank shaycat
Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

I am sorry that your experience was not as it should be in the Trident Hotel. Unfortunately the refurbishment of some of our rooms went on longer that we had expected due to some unforseen delays. I hindsight we should have arranged alternative accommodation for you in another hotel in advance but we had hoped to have the area cleaned and prepare before the rooms were needed. I apologise for this. I hope that you did enjoy your dinner in our Wharf Tavern that evening.

I would be pleased if you would contact me directly to arrange an opportunity to come and stay with us again to see what was being done and how peaceful it normally is in the Trident.

I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to the Trident Hotel.

Carlow, Ireland
Reviewed 18 April 2011

we have just returned from trident hotel today and we will most def be goin there again..
when we arrived which was early our room was ready and we got a free up grade to an excutive suite which we were so delighted with and we had a beautiful sea and harbour view to wake up to.....our car was just parked underneath our room...we stayed for 2 nights with breakfast included and there was a choice of everything....breakfast was lovely and the staff were very friendly...the rooms were spotless and any thing we wanted it was there...i would def recommend this hotel and we will definitly be back both in kinsale and staying in the trident hotel....

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your recent stay with us in the Trident. Your comments are very much appreciated and I'm pleased that you are looking forward to your next visit to the Trident and Kinsale. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinsale
Macdonald Kinsale Hotel & Spa
#6 of 53 in Kinsale
Long Quay House
Long Quay House
#14 of 53 in Kinsale

Been to Trident Hotel Kinsale? Share your experiences!