“NOT a four star hotel!!”

Trident Hotel Kinsale
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Dublin
“NOT a four star hotel!!”
Reviewed 2 November 2012

We stayed here for one night on our way home from a fantastic stay at the Ross in Killarney. Good reviews online and a four-star rating led us to believe it would be an enjoyable stay. Girls at reception were neither pleasant or informative and the interior decor is very drab. But the real reason I felt I had to write a review was the room, just such a disgusting place to sleep, we couldn't believe this hotel had four stars! Dirty, small uncomfortable bed, a nice view of the harbour but not nice enough to make me forget that I had paid quite a substantial sum of money to stay in a horrible hotel on the edge of kinsale! Avoid this place if you're staying in kinsale I have absolutely no idea why it has so many good reviews.

• Stayed June 2012
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 3 January 2013
Dear OisinM,

Thank you for taking the time to review the Trident Hotel.

I am sorry that you were not happy with your stay at the Trident.

We do welcome reviews both positive and negative but I am at a loss to understand the comments you have made. I am sure that there were made sincerely but I will take them with a pinch of salt - or sugar would maybe be more appropriate.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (266)
  • Korean first
Greenwood, South Carolina
Reviewed 30 October 2012

A very modern hotel with a wonderful view over the tidal river and marine.The rooms are well furnished and an suite. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. We had booked half board, Breakfast and dinner, The food was very good and we where able to select from a large menue with international and irish cuisine.There was enough parking available.The center of Kinsale was
easy to reach by foot in minutes.

Room Tip: All rooms face the court yard and are equaly quite
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
Dear ungerhausen,

Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in the Trident Hotel and Kinsale. Your positive comments are very welcome regarding our location and the service and standard of food provided to you.

I hope that you enjoyed your visit to Ireland.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Carlsbad, California
Reviewed 28 October 2012

The location was awesome and our room had huge windows with a lovely view of the harbor. The people were friendly and tried to be helpful. The lounge service was excellent.

The beds were hard and uncomfortable. The wi-fi did not work, and even though they brought me a cable, it was broken. The views were spectacular, except that the windows were very dirty and covered with bird poop.

The town of Kinsale was fabulous. We loved walking around and seeing the sights.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Dear Wende,

Many thanks for taking the time to review the Trident Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay even though you did have a problem with the WiFi in your room. The room you were in is overhanging the water and the weather can occasionally cause some spray to adhere to the windows. I'm sorry that you did not feel that the bed was comfortable, our beds are orthopaedic to provide back support but this unfortunately does not suit everybody. My apologies.

I hope that did not take from your enjoyment of your Irish vacation.

Dublin
Reviewed 27 October 2012

I stayed here recently with some business colleagues. I paid the extra money for the "Executive" room as we all did but my first impression of the room was that it was small, plain, grubby and really nothing special. I wasnt happy.
I went back down and asked the receptionist had she given me the correct room as i had paid for the executive room - she said she had so i accepted it.

I travel a bit and my understanding of an executive room or a business room is that it has extra's like a mini bar, a bottle of water ( or wine ), a safe, a nespresso machine, LCD TV, Bathrobe, Slippers, laundry bags, newspaper delivered to the room etc etc - This room had none of these extras. None whatsoever.
I have no idea what the "Executive" part means at this place or what i got for the extra money and believe me it was expensive enough.

The wifi was OK, the bathroom was nice a clean but the room was grubby, cracks in walls, ceilings, marks on the walls etc

The staff at check in, in the residents bar, in the main bar and at breakfast were not friendly and all looked sad as if they just didnt want to be there.

It is an old, very basic hotel and i would never ever stay here again as there is plenty of other places in Kinsale that would appreciate the business, would appreciate my money and actually give the extras that were paid for.

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled on business
Dear Python,

Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

I'm sorry that your visit was so dissapointing. We seem to have come up short on all your expectations. I am more than a little surprised that you found all the staff you encountered to be unfriendly and uncaring, I would suggest that that would not be typical. I apologise.

Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your dissapointment.

Woking, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 October 2012

We stayed 7 nights and loved every minute, well almost, apart from the wind and floods we arrived into, but that wasn't the hotel's fault. We wanted a week of respite after a long stretch of relentless business travel with no holidays or breaks in over 2 years, and we got exactly what we wanted - in spades.

We called it our "walking holiday" because we walked to pubs and restaurants and then back. The hotel is in a great location on the pier, with a nice bar (the Wharf Tavern) on the corner. The seafood chowder is excellent, as is the crab and prawn open sandwich. We can also vouch for the toasties, burgers, steaks and monkfish. Even the side salad is ridiculously delicious, even by Kinsale standards.

We had a one room junior suite on the 3rd floor, which was large enough to make it a great living area since we were in desperate need of relaxation, and breakfast continues until a very civilised 10:30. There is plenty of choice of cold meat, cheese or smoked salmon if you prefer that, or a hearty cooked breakfast with your choice of eggs.

Whilst the hotel has no leisure facilities itself, there is an arrangement with Actons just down the road, and excellent massage and beauty therapies are available there as well as use of the pool and gym. It's about 5 minutes walk or less, depending on how fast you walk. Town is about 10 minutes max on foot via the main pier road.

The staff are friendly, helpful and professional, andall make you feel very welcome and relaxed. Nothing was too much trouble throughout, and I was even loaned a DVD player to view a birthday gift from my daughter on the room TV.

We were planning to go back in a years time, however we are now working out how we can bring that forward. Our heartfelt thanks to all the staff at the Trident for the great break you gave us.

Room Tip: If there are suite upgrades available at reasonable cost, go for it. WiFi signal is a little weak...
Dear Jack,

Thank you for your excellent review of the Trident Hotel.

You very kindly wrote to me as well as posting your review on Trip Advisor which was very much appreciated. We are delighted that you enjoyed your week with us and that you did the 'Kinsale thing' of eating and drinking - with the occasional walk to ease the concience.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Trident in the near future.

scotland
Reviewed 24 October 2012

Spend 3 nights in this hotel in October 2012 lovely hotel, great location with stunning view, staff very pleasant, will defo be back, our room was very clean and spacious, could be doing with a little bit of decoration but apart from that was very happy with the hotel

Room Tip: Ask for view overlooking the harbour
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 4 January 2013
Dear Shanballyscotland,

Thank you for your very positive review of the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your 3 days here and that you intend to come back soon.

We look forward to welcoming you.

Pelham, Canada
Reviewed 23 October 2012

This town and hotel were recommended to us by a clerk at the Swiss Cottage in Cahir as her favorite places. Upon arrival we understood why. What a beautiful, compact seaside town and an excellent hotel. The view of the marina and surrounding countryside from the room was awesome. Friendly, quick check-in, a large bright room and bathroom-we appreciated the bathrobes and slippers too! Bed and breakfast for 90 euros was a bargain. Enjoyed it so much we asked them about their sister property in Killarney and they were happy to call and get us a great price at The Riverside Hotel, which was also great.

Dear JMH,

Thank you for your lovely review of the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that you loved it! I am also pleased that you decided to go to another member of Select Hotels, these are all privately owned businesses mainly by families and dotted all around the country.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Kinsale and the Trident in the near future.

Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinsale
Actons Hotel Kinsale
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
Perryville House
#7 of 53 in Kinsale

Been to Trident Hotel Kinsale? Share your experiences!