“Its about the view”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Louisville, Colorado
“Its about the view”
Reviewed 16 April 2013

My spouse and I had the good fortune to spend the first evening of our 25th anniversary trip to Ireland at the Trident. Kinsale is a spectacular town, with narrow streets climbing precipitous hillsides. Passing through this beautiful town, you are almost leaving from the south end when you bump into the Trident. This property is arranged about a motor court, so parking shouldn't be a problem. The best rooms are focused with a view towards the working harbor and the headlands across the bay. Occupancy was low when we arrived, and we were bumped up to an executive suite gratis. Spectacular! All sights and sounds of the main part of town are easily walkable, so leave the car and take to the streets. But stay in for breakfast - not to be missed, with the harbor in the background and smoked salmon on the buffet.

Room Tip: Get a room in the 10's (100 - 110, 200 - 210, etc) - killer view through the expansive windows o...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 26 April 2013
Dear Skierguy,

Thank you for your review of your recent visit to the Trident Hotel.

Congratulations on your 25th Wedding Anniversary! I am delighted that you stayed with us for your first night in Ireland to celebrate this special anniversary.

Your description of your arrival in Kinsale is wonderful - I want to go there! I have lived here for 26 years and see this every day and it is great to see it described by someone looking with 'new eyes'!

Thank you for taking the time to share your very positive experience and I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back soon (don't wait 25 years).

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Korean first
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 April 2013 via mobile

We arrived on friday 12th april , long drive and check in was easy and the girls on reception were friendly and helpful, rooms good size, second door between main door and bedroom cuts down out any noise. Had an evening meal in resturant on saturday evening, menu a bit limited , i would have liked a bit more choice, food was ordered, service was good and food very nice, staff pleasant . All in all a nice relaxing weekend , this was our third time staying and we shall be back .

• Stayed April 2013
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 16 April 2013
Dear Girvin 57,

Thank you for your positive review of your recent visit to the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that you had a nice relaxing stay and that you found the staff pleasant and the food nice.

I am pleased that you have been her on a number of occasions and that you plan on coming back - a good sign!

We look forward to welcoming you again soon.

Navan, Ireland
Reviewed 9 April 2013

I booked this hotel as i was the best man for a small stag party. Managed to book twin rooms for €55 per person bed & breakfast. I dealt with eleanor via phone and email on a number of occasions in the weeks leading up to the party and always found her to be polite and professional. Finding the hotel was easy enough and there was adequate parking. Contrary to the last review I found no fault with the staff working at reception, they were prompt, welcoming, polite and helpful. I was given room 220, it was amazing, you are on top of water practically, looking out onto water to your front and to your right, world class amazing views of kinsale harbour. we ate a delicious and hearty breakfast the following morning where there were a number of wide selections in cereals, juices, fruit and fry ups, very accommodating staff, we booked 7 rooms, no complaints regarding noise either, top class spot, will most definitely stay again

Room Tip: 220, breathtaking views
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled with friends
Dear Brendan (I presume),

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that you found everything to your satisfaction. Good value, excellent breakfast and attentive staff in a super location!

I hope that you will have the opportunity to come back again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 April 2013

We go to Kinsale a few times a year, and would have over the years stayed at the Trident sister Hotel Actions up until it closed and always found it a lovely stay. I must state we could not get Actions this time as it has just re opened and was booked up but they very kindly told us to contact the Trident so we did and booked the two nights, on arrival on Friday afternoon we were taken back by what was not a friendly welcome at there front desk two lady's at the desk one rude and the other trying to make up for her . We went to the lift to access our room I have yet in any hotel seen such a dirty lift water is cheap this was to follow in other areas. I have to say a very noise hotel also . I have to say to be fair the breakfast in the morning and the staff in that area we very nice and helpful, also the staff in the bar food section we very nice . But as the saying goes it only takes one and if that is the first member of staff you meet it's not good. At no time over our stay did we see any management in this climate everyone needs to make a good impression you can't just take it as a given that the view will sell everything for you because for every one customer that goes feeling as we did you lose at least 10 more. We will alway be back to Kinsale but will stick to what we know for the good friendly service over the years Actions, and ask how could to sister hotels be miles apart. My advice good friendly front of house and water is cheap clean you lift area . You need to look at you pricing you are not 4 star.

1 Thank caroline o
Dear Caroline,

Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

I am sorry that you did not receive a good welcome on arrival and I'm very surprised that you said one of the staff was rude to you when you were checking in, I apologise for these shortcomings.

I am glad that you found our breakfast and Wharf Tavern staff helpful and friendly. Our staff are very attentive and helpful and I'm sorry that you seem to have found different.

I am pleased to hear that you will be returning to Kinsale. I am sure that you will have a more positive experience if you choose to come back to the Trident.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

My wife and stayed for one night on an offer on their website. It was a for a executive double room with breakfast, 3 course dinner for 2 with glasses of prosecco and late check out. All for the princely sum €99.

For the moment we arrived we experienced very friendly and efficient staff. We had dinner in the wharf bar and were able to mix and match our courses from the both the bar and Al a carte menus. The food was outstanding with no supplement required for choosing the steak which is often the case in many establishments with inclusive dinner offers.

The room was modern and clean with separate shower and bath! A real luxury in a hotel! The view of Kinsale harbour was only amazing from the large window.

We had breakfast delivered to the room for a very small additional charge and they even acceded to my little request for the morning paper to be delivered also.

Overall a great experience and I would certainly recommend.

• Stayed April 2013
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 8 April 2013
Dear MDF,

Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

Well done on getting our very special offer! We always have good value but we're not always this crazy!!

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you have an opportunity to experience a visit to the Trident Hotel and Kinsale.

We very much appreciate you kind comments and hope that you will return on another occasion.

Reviewed 1 April 2013 via mobile

We just spent a lovely two nights with our three kids .We booked a top floor suite overlooking the harbour which is a huge room that is L Shaped and is esentially two rooms in one with the best harbour views you could imagine . It's great value ,food is excellent and the staff are predominantly Irish ,very helpful and considerate .this hotel is very well situated on the waterfront just a short walk from the town which is full of great pubs and restaurants .Its sister hotel Actons nearby have a nice pool ,gym etc which Can be used free of charge by Trident guests .
Well worth a visit ,
Harry Nash
,Dublin

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Harry N
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 3 April 2013
Dear Harry,

Thank you for your very positive review of your stay at the Trident Hotel.

I'm delighted that you and your family enjoyed your visit to Kinsale and the facilities and staff of the Trident.

We very much appreciate your kind comments and hope that we can welcome you back again soon.

Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 1 April 2013

This is a very pleasant hotel that has probably seen better days. The rooms are clean and comfortable and you can certainly get a good night's sleep, and you cannot fault the view over the water. However it does not pay enough attention to detail. For example, every time I wanted to ask a question at the reception desk I had to wait for the person on duty to get off the phone. At breakfast it took a long time to order and the staff forgot to bring cutlery; the staff are simply not trained to the standard required of a 4 star hotel. The staff are friendly, but need to pay a little more attention to detail. Management needs to invest in better staffing levels and proper training, they are currently spoiling their ship for a ha'porth of tar.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
Dear Pip,

Thank you for your review of the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that you found the hotel and the staff pleasant and well located. I am sorry that you encountered a few glitches with reception and breakfast although you seem to have had a positive experience overall.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Trident and Kinsale before too long.

Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinsale
Macdonald Kinsale Hotel & Spa
#6 of 53 in Kinsale
Long Quay House
Long Quay House
#14 of 53 in Kinsale

Been to Trident Hotel Kinsale? Share your experiences!