“Thumbs up!”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Cork, Ireland
“Thumbs up!”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

Lovely room (222) with an unbelievable view. Really enjoyed our stay here. Room was spacious and v clean. Huge windows to take advantage of the incredible view but the curtains were black out which kept the room nice and dark in the morning. The room was hot so we kept the windows open but it was fine as there was no noise in the morning. Found the staff really helpful, obliging and efficient. I would definitely stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms 222 and 317. Fab
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 16 July 2013
Dear Jayniesmurf,

Many thanks for your review of your recent stay with us at the Trident Hotel.

We like to get the 'Thumbs up' from our guests and yours is very welcome! I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you found your room, the view and the staff to a high standard. We can't always promise the sun but we certainly on a roll at the moment and we're not too far from Cork for another quick visit.

We look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (261)
  • Korean first
cork
Reviewed 12 July 2013

We were in a nice spacious room overlooking the sea, fantastic looking out every morning at the sea.
The hotel was very close to the centre of town with lot of good bars and eateries.
the staff where very friendly and did their utmost to make or stay as pleasant as possible

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Dear Peter J,

Thank you for your positive review of your stay with us at the Trident Hotel.

I hope we will be able to welcome you back before too long - Cork is not too far away!

Northern Ireland
Reviewed 10 July 2013 via mobile

We arrived early not expecting to be able to check in to find that our room was infact ready which was great. The receptionist was friendly and welcoming and we were particularly impressed by her proactiveness in ringing a local restaurant we had mentioned we'd like to try in order to see if she could book a table for us. The room and ensuite were much bigger than we anticipated and finished to a higher standard than we expected given the rate we got (& reviews we read prior to our arrival). Our package included dinner in the wharf tavern which we found to be good with great staff. At breakfast there was a reasonable choice on the menu for freshly cooked food in addition to a small buffet - the selection of which could have been better though it did offer ample choice. We thoroughly enjoyed our time in kinsale and would return to the trident hotel in the future - this was as much due to the staff as the hotel.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Dear CL & GJM,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that your enjoyed your visit, both to Kinsale and the Trident.

We do try to facilitate our guests with early check-ins where possible but as check-out time is 12.00 noon this is not always possible.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Trident & Kinsale in the near future and as the motorway access from the North has improved so much it had become and easier journey.

Bridgnorth, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 July 2013

We booked a "Luxury 3 Night Getaway", which put us into an Executive Double room overlooking the harbour. The hotel is a short walk from town, and the food in the hotel restaurant was pretty good, so we had no trouble finding meals or activities in Kinsale. Our only complaint was that a floorboard in the hallway caused our floor to creak whenever someone walked past our room. Otherwise the room and service were great.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Dave R,

Many thanks for your review of your recent visit to the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the hotel and the town of Kinsale a good place to visit.

We'll try to find thet floor board and have it sorted by your next visit!

Many thanks.

Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 4 July 2013

Stayed here for a 2 night midweek break with my wife.
The hotels location is its biggest asset, located literally on the harbour ! It looks very good from the outside but once you enter the accomodation areas you can see the need for freshening up. Our room was tiny and the ensuite even more so. Our room overlooked a main road. The large window would normally be a plus but with no net curtain, privacy was a big issue with both people and traffic only feet away. The only way to change clothing was to pull the curtains (badly waterstained) blocking out all the light and the limited view of the harbour as the ensuite was too small (you could lose an elbow or worse !)
On the plus side the staff were all locals and very friendly and helpful. On checking-in we enquired about an upgrade which was promised for our second night but this was not forthcoming. We tried to check-in a little early (normal check-in 4pm which is a little late) as we had travelled a long distance but this was not possible. The receptionist (who also promised the upgrade) was pleasant and advised that our room was not ready but that if we wanted to go for lunch she would ring us when it was ready. We are still waiting for the upgrade and the phonecall !!!
We had dinner in the Pier One Restaurant. Again the staff were very good & service excellent. However the food was very average. My main course was changed by the chef as what I ordered had obviously run out. Unfortunately no-one spoke to me and the dish that arrived had the same sauce as my starter and the fish was horrendously overcooked (unforgivable in such a location). Wifes steak was excellent and well cooked. Breakfast served in the same restaurant was very good and not, thank God, the ubiquitous stewed buffet !
I have reviewed the Wharf Tavern Bar on the premises seperately as the staff there are worth a seperate mention and it is a gem in the Tridents crown.
Overall I would visit the Trident again, purely for the staff, the Wharf Tavern & the location but I would insist on a larger room.

Room Tip: Try to secure a room at the front of the hotel away from the road which should give more privacy. Al...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear phmaster,

Thank you for your comprehensive review of your recent stay with us at the Trident Hotel.

I am sorry that you weren't happy with the location and size of your room and that you had some additional issues throughout your stay. We do have different levels of rooms from Standard, Executive, Junior Suites and Master Suites and all our room have views of the harbour. As you mentioned your room had a side view looking up the river Bandon where some / most of our rooms overlook the main harbour area. Where possible we endeavour to up grade our guests if there is a suitable room available.

I am pleased that your found the standard of service and generally the quality of food good. We prefer to serve our hot breakfast directly from the kitchen and with a cold buffet available also. We particularly appreciate your kind comments about our Wharf Tavern and the staff.

Thank you for taking the time to post your review and I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Trident on another occasion.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed 1 July 2013

I stayed here one night on a vacation in Ireland. I tried to stay in another location in Kinsale, but it was going through a massive gut rehab. That other hotel's website suggested the Trident.

This is where the review gets tricky. If just judging by the room, I wouldn't be as positive. It was large, the bed good sized, but the decor and the fixtures were very dated, and there weren't enough of them, so the room looked underfurnished. It really brought out the flaws. I could see someone really picky about their hotel rooms thinking this was not up to snuff.

However, it was also the lowest price I paid for any hotel on my trip in Ireland, so from a price-to-quality perspective it was a very good value. That's part of why I want to give 3.5 stars.

I loved the location of the hotel. It's right on the harbor (harbour since this is in Ireland?), a great view of the port, and that for a while a ship was right by the hotel unloading its cargo was enjoyable. I stayed in Kinsale rather than Cork because I wanted a more out of the way place to stay, so staying in a working port was fine with me. Great walk along the water into town.

Staff was friendly, especially my server at breakfast. She was nice and allowed me to try a sample of oatmeal to see if I wanted a full order of that or an order of eggs.

Overall I would like to try a different place to stay next time in Kinsale, but if this was the only option available I wouldn't be upset.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Pedro666
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 3 July 2013
Dear Pedro666,

Thank you for your review of your stay with us at the Trident Hotel.

I gather it is some time since you stayed with us - possibly some time last winter or early spring.

I am glad that you enjoyed your stay and that you enjoyed our location and quality of service from the staff.

Hopefully you will stay with us on another occasion when you return to Kinsale.

Co Down
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We stayed 3 nights at Trident Hotel. The first night we were given an EXECUTIVE ROOM overlooking the magnificent harbour.... but this is not our idea of an Executive room! Bulbs blown and not replaced, cracked bathroom floor tiles, hopeless old fashioned television, curtains that don't close properly, no bottled water, no fridge etc. However, the next day we were upgraded to a junior suite which was so very much better. Beautiful views from very large room, magnificent bathroom with power shower and very large bath, lovely wash hand basin with ample room for our toiletries, super quality towels which were changed daily and good quality soaps and lotions. Excellent breakfast too! Evening meal was ok but nothing more than that as menu was very limited. However, the dining room staff were efficient and friendly. All in all a very good stay but until those "Executive Rooms" are updated and refurbished Trident Hotel doesn't get 4* from me. More worthy of 3* I reckon. Being the eternal optimist I believe we would return in the hope that the refurbishment would be complete and all facilities intact and in working order.

Room Tip: Beautiful Location
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 1 July 2013
Dear Patsy063,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us in the Trident Hotel.

I am sorry that not everythintg was to your liking and particularly that you had maintenance issues with your first room. I am pleased that your Junior Suite was more acceptable and I hope that the food and service you recieved may have made up for some of the previous shortcomings.

We are currently in the planning stage for our continuing refurbishment this winter.

Thank you for your constructive comments.

Hla McElroy
Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinsale
Actons Hotel Kinsale
#2 of 23 in Cork
4.5 of 5 bubbles 3,371 reviews
Perryville House
#6 of 50 in Kinsale

Been to Trident Hotel Kinsale? Share your experiences!