“Not very pleasant”

Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
IRELAND
“Not very pleasant”
Reviewed 10 October 2013

We stayed here in September for our anniversary and i was very disappointed. From the website it looks modern but it isnt. It's very dated and badly needs to be modernised. The reception is old & not very welcoming. We had a decent sized room but it was in bad need of painting and smelled like a smoking room. The staff were friendly. We had dinner on one night which was ok but breakfast was lovely each morning. The location of the hotel is excellent and the views are fab but it's too old style for my liking. I would go back to Kinsale but i dont think i would return to this hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear Jocks,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at the Trident Hotel.

I am sorry that you didn't find your stay very pleasant and that you found you room to be dated. We will be completing our refurbishment of some of the remaining bedrooms during the winter which I hope will address some of the issues you raised. Possible you might try one of our Executive rooms or Suites on your next visit to improve your experience

I am pleased that you found our location, breakfast and staff to your liking.

Hopefully you will visit us again.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Korean first
Orpington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 October 2013

Lovely Hotel overlooking harbour, short walk from town centre. Lift and very comfortable rooms. Very helpful staff and nice restaurant and lovely food! Would almost certainly go back again. Loved it!!

Dear Valerie,

Thank you for your very positive review of your recent stay with us.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit and we thank you for your kind comments.

I hope that we will see you again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Took a few days vacation with my family. We new there were no family rooms available so we took a room with 2 doubles. Upon arrival everything was great although the reception seemed to be a little stressed and was not too helpful trying to figure somewhere to eat. We then went to our room quite excited as the hotel is a great location and we spotted a few of the rooms being cleaned and they looked great.

We arrived in our room and were very disappointed. The bathroom was similar to that of my old student accommodation, well actually worse. Just horrible, dirty, old, smelly. We thought well ok let's just leave it. We went to bed that night and I did not sleep. Our room was on the corner of the hotel on the road. Traffic all night.

Next morning I asked for a room move and in fairness they gave us a suite overlooking the harbour. Again the excitement.......but it was short lived. the room was actually worse. The bathroom was old, dirty and just something you would find in the movie trainspotting. The window was broken, the bed was something that should have went on a bonfire etc etc etc.....

I tried to get into Actons but it was full. When I again complained and asked why the bathrooms were old and there were some in the hotel I was told that we had booked a standard room and they were the deluxe rooms. At no point had anyone ever told us about this.

All in all a very poor experience and I given this was a short 4 day break I felt totally stressed after the break.

Room Tip: Ask for one to the front of the harbour and also a deluxe room.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear 43 saul,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay.

I am sorry that you had such a disappointing experience and that our staff were unable to rectify the situation. If we had alternative rooms available I'm sure they would have found a solution.

I am surprised that our receptionist had difficulty finding you somewhere to eat although sometimes it can be difficult to match a client with a suitable restaurant.

I am sorry that we failed to satisfy your requirements, but I hope you enjoyed your visit to Kinsale.

Grassy Key, Florida
Reviewed 5 October 2013

We stayed at the Trident for three nights for a Clan Gathering. My interactions with all the staff were exceptional. I needed assistance setting up a projector for a presentation. The on-duty manager took me right to the conference room, checked all the equipment for me and ensured everything was working correctly.
We booked a standard room which actually did overlook the harbour. The room was fitted out adequately, but the lighting was poor. I have seen complaints about the size of the bathrooms, and while they are compact, they have been upgraded with lovely fixtures and tiling and have everything you could need.
We ate several meals in the pub. The food was great. Breakfast was cooked to order which is a nice change from larger hotels in the area. The wait staff were superb for breakfast and in the pub.
We did find the room noisy at night due to revelers attending a party in another part of the hotel. Management might want to patrol the parking lot to quiet people down.

Room Tip: If you are interested in a quiet room, ask for a room on the back side of the hotel away from the pa...
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Dear Relaxedtravels57,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us in the Trident Hotel.

I am delighed that you found our customer service to be excellent, we are very lucky to have such a good, loyal and friendly staff. We have renovated most of our standard room bathrooms and will complete this task during the winter and the vast majority of our bedrooms have a view over the harbour.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to the Trident and kinsale in the near future.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 3 October 2013

Although we had a lovely view, this hotel fell short of all expectations. Firstly we could hear snoring from the room next door. The hotel was more than just tired it needed a major revamp. The breakfast was terrible and we ended up eating breakfast elsewhere. However the staff were warm, friendly and helpful.

No we won't be back

1 Thank kathy255068
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 16 October 2013
Dear Kathy,

I'm sorry you had a disappointing stay with us in the Trident Hotel.

We will be undertaking a refurbishment this winter so will be addressing the rooms that need attention. I am surprised that you had a poor experience with breakfast which normally meets with approval, I'm sorry that this was the case.

I hope that this experience did not take from your enjoyment of Kinsale.

Reviewed 3 October 2013 via mobile

We stayed in this hotel after being let down with an overbooking from another hotel, and it worked out very well in the end!
When we arrived we were greeted by friendly staff who offered us a free upgrade on our room. The view from our large windows overlooked the lovely harbour which sits right next to the hotel. The rooms were very clean and well presented, and good value for what we paid. Breakfast was delicious (full Irish), and we will definitely stay here again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Tbonetender,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, even if it was 'by accident'!

We appreciate your kind comments and I am delighted that you enjoyed our location and facilities and that you found our staff friendly.

We look forward to wecoming you back again soon.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 2 October 2013

Recently stayed in the Trident with our Tour Group. We had a very enjoyed one night stay. The Dinner and Breakfast was Excellent The bedrooms were nice and comfortable, but I must say a bit dated and could do with some upgrading. The walls in the bedrooms have a very bleak and cold feel and a poor quality plaster finish. The scenery there was amazing and the view from the bedrooms was great. So, would be happy to stay there again.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 7 October 2013
Dear Group T,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay, breakfast and dinner. I hope that by the next time you stay with us we will have completed our renovations which are planned for this winter.

Thank you for your kind comments.

Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinsale
Actons Hotel Kinsale
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
Perryville House
#6 of 53 in Kinsale

Been to Trident Hotel Kinsale? Share your experiences!