“Room vary greatly. Be careful of room selection.”

Trident Hotel Kinsale
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Reviewed 20 August 2014

We stayed at the Trident in August of 2014 and had 3 rooms. I stayed in room 126, one friend in 226 and another in 210. Room 126 faced the road out back and had a small window. The room would get very hot during the day so I kept it open at night. The problem was road noise coupled with the air conditioning unit outside the room. The choice was either to deal with the noise or sweat. The weird thing is that rooms 126 and 226 didn't have air conditioning but room 210 did. Room 226 was no better than what I had but my friend in 210 had wall to wall windows overlooking the harbor. She also had air conditioning and the room seemed a lot more modern than either one we had. It looked like there were quite a few rooms like hers facing the harbor with the wall to wall windows.
The breakfast in the morning was very good and served quickly to get you on your way. The hotel also served dinner and had a nice pub on the ground level where we would gather before heading out. We ate in the pub one night and the food was fresh and served hot.
The location is great too. It's right outside of the downtown area so it doesn't get the foot traffic going past it but it's within easy walking distance to all the restaurants, shops and pubs in Kinsale. I would give the Trident 5 stars if I stayed in room 210. I'm not sure if they're doing a renovation or there are different categories of rooms and since we were booked by a travel agency I don't know if there was a price difference. I would stay there again but would be specific with my room request.

Room Tip: Request a room on the second or third level overlooking the harbor. Stay away from the rooms facing...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with friends
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Dear CambridgeJim,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us in the Trident Hotel.

I am sorry that you were not entirely happy with you room. We do have different standard of room - Standard, Executive and Suites. You and one friend were in Standard rooms and you other friend was in an Executive room. Our Executives are all harbour facing and have very large windows, air conditioning, and large marble bathrooms. Our Standard rooms are due for refurbishment this winter. We have 4 rooms our of a total of 75 that have small windows and this is for structural reasons, it is unfortunate that you were allocated one of these. Your friend was obviously the lucky one who was upgraded to and Executive room on arrival.

I am delighted that you found all other aspects of your stay to a high standard including breakfast, dinner in our Wharf Tavern and service overall.

I hope that you will return to the Trident on another occasion and when you do please make contact with me and I will ensure that you get an upgrade or at least request and Executive room to guarantee a harbour view.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Stayed one night at the hotel with my wife on a short break around Southern Ireland. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was adequate although the bed was a little too soft. The hotel has free WIFI and the breakfast was really nice and Kinsale town itself is worth a visit for the stunning views and scenery.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the harbour
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Ron,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent visit to the Trident Hotel with your wife.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay although you found the bed a bit soft. Thank you for your kind comment about our staff.

I hope that your brief visit will encourage you to come back to Kinsale and the Trident Hotel when you are next in this part of the world.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

I was only in Kinsale for one night. The hotel was pretty nice. Much nicer than the other hotels that I stayed at during my Ireland trip. The breakfast is so-so. The staff is not terribly friendly. Kinsale is a pretty quiet town.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Dear soxgal,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us in the Trident Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel and found the standards good. I am surprised and disappointed that you did not find the staff very friendly - I'm sorry that this was the case.

I hope you had time to enjoy and appreciate Kinsale during your short stay.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed for a short break in this hotel. Nice position beside the harbour with good views. Rooms are well maintained but some could do with an armchair given the nice view out the windows. Hotel was full when I was there, but strangely didn't meet too many people and all facilities were very accessible. Staff were very pleasant and helpful. Parking is a little tight but we always managed to get a space .Reasonably priced and well worth consideration for your visit.

Room Tip: Look for a room with a view of the harbour.

Dear Tony,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us in the Trident Hotel.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay and particularly the location and views from your bedroom. I am happy that you found the staff to be pleasant and helpful and that you stay was good value.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to Kinsale and the Trident in the near future.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Spent a weekend in the Trident earlier this year and found the standards of service and accommodation excellent. The location is wonderful looking over Kinsale harbour and within minutes walking of all the important sites. The hotels a little ordinary but the standards are high and with a weekend deal great value.

Room Tip: Ask for a view
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Lacustris,

Thank you for your review of your stay earlier this year.

I am pleased that you enjoyed you stay and that the quality and service were to a high standard while also offering good value.

Keep an eye on our website as we have good value offers on a regular basis.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Trident and Kinsale.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

I recently stayed at this hotel with my sister, and it was certainly not a four star hotel. The rooms are not big. There was a large window with ceiling to floor glass, giving a nice view of the harbour. BUT you would expect at the very least a decent curtain with blackout lining, not the existing orange rag that simply brightens the room even more. Be aware that the sun does not go down until 10pm and comes up at around 4am in the summer, leaving very little darkness if you need it to sleep. The other problem with the large window and lack of blackout curtains is the Glasshouse effect, which makes the room unbearably stuffy and so uncomfortable even when the weather is not that hot outside. I tried two nights in a row to have a bath but unbelievably there was not enough hot water, it was just tepid warm. The worst part was when I politely brought this to the attention of the reception staff, I was brushed off and told "these things happen", no apology nothing. This is not standard in a four star hotel.

There are lots of charming guest houses in Kinsale, go with one of those. My guess is that this hotel is banking on one-way traffic from bus loads of American tourists who are unlikely to ever return, hence the complacency..

Dear Joyce,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us in the Trident Hotel.

I am sorry that you did not have a positive stay with us and that you found a number of issues with our facilities and also a negative response from one of our staff members.

Our standard rooms do not have air conditioning but our executives and suites do, which helps with temperature fluctuations because of the large windows overlooking the harbour.

Unfortunately one of our main boilers was giving difficulty recently and we were not getting full temperature on our hot water. This problem has thankfully been resolved. I am sorry that you experienced this problem.

We are fortunate that we do have a very loyal clientele of which more than 50% are from the island of Ireland with the balance from USA, Britain and Europe and a growing number from further afield.

I hope that the issues you encountered did not take from the enjoyment of your visit to Kinsale.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Great view from third floor bedrooms. Great bar food, slow service. Sleepless nights as we could hear people drunk and disorderly outside the bar right under the rooms! Not ideal for such a gorgeous setting. Not enough parking spaces for guests.

Room Tip: Room 301-310
Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Laura,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us in the Trident Hotel.

I am sorry that you weren't entirely happy with some aspects of your stay. I am sorry that you felt the service of your bar food in our Wharf Tavern was slow but it is cooked to order as is our hot breakfast.

It is unfortunate that you were disturbed during the night but our executive rooms have A/C and the windows can be closed if there is any noise.

Parking is at a premium in Kinsale and occasionally when it is busy there can be pressure on space but we can normally accommodate our guests with a little juggling.

I hope that the great views from this gorgeous setting will bring you back again to the Trident and Kinsale in the near future.

Managing Director

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinsale
Actons Hotel Kinsale
Perryville House
Perryville House
#6 of 53 in Kinsale
Pier House Bed and Breakfast

Been to Trident Hotel Kinsale? Share your experiences!