“Nice room overlooking the harbor - I would stay there again”

Trident Hotel Kinsale
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Nice room overlooking the harbor - I would stay there again”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

Stayed there as part of a golf package. Luckily we found there IS air conditioning in many of the rooms (there is a small control by the closet) and realized that the slot by the door is for the room key to rest in to activate the electricity in the room. The windows are pleasant to have open for an inviting breeze, but the outside sounds make sleeping difficult. They have an extensive Irish Breakfast (compared to other hotels in Ireland) including smoked salmon, cured meats and pastries as a nice accompaniment to the "Full Irish breakfast". The hotel is within walking distance to many attractions and eateries. The actual room was acceptable but could have used minor updating including the TV, etc. Wifi is available but it is spotty and frequently unreliable. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: The sun comes up EARLY in August and the entire room is flooded with the bright morning. One might w...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 1 September 2014
Dear KAP20142014,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us in the Trident Hotel.

I am please that you enjoyed your stay and that you found the air conditioning controls and power master switch. Our Executive rooms and Suites do have A/C but our Standard rooms do not - but they all have opening windows towards the harbour, as some of our guests prefer.

I'm sorry that you found the WiFi a bit spotty - we are looking forward to having eFiber connections shortly which has just become available in our area.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast and the local products such as the smoked salmon and cheeses from our area which compliment the hearty Irish Breakfast!

I hope that you experience of the Trident Hotel, Kinsale and the Old Head will bring you back in the near future.

Managing Director

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
  • Korean first
South Florida, Florida
Reviewed 29 August 2014

We stayed for two nights and we would definitely return. The hotel is in a good location, a three minute walk to town and an quick drive to Old Head. The parking can be tricky, it also services the marina and restaurant, there are not enough spaces and the lot is full by late afternoon. The rooms were comfortable but the decor is dated. It desperately needs new carpeting and mattresses. The beautiful bay view from our room distracted us from the furnishings. The breakfast is very nice, they provide a large selection and generous portions. All of the staff members that we encountered were very polite, warm and friendly. They were always helping us with dinner suggestions or driving directions. We really enjoyed our stay.

Dear Vesvacations,

Thank you for your positive review of your recent stay with us in the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and that you particularly enjoyed the views from the hotel and your room.

Our proximity to the town of Kinsale and the Old Head Golf Links is a great advantage.

Thank you for your kind comments about our breakfast and particularly about our staff.

I hope that we will be able to welcome you back to Kinsale and the Trident soon.

New Jersey
Reviewed 25 August 2014 via mobile

Stayed for two nights. No air conditioning. Had to keep window open for any air. Drapes were stained. ..obvious from window being open and water damage. Bathroom sink top cracked and toilet holder placed where the shower water could not avoid getting it wet. No safe and no hair dryer. Did get one (hair dryer)sent up eventually. Bed was hard. On the plus side. Staff were friendly and especially breakfast staff.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 27 August 2014
Dear Kellysbar,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay in the Trident Hotel.

I am sorry that you were not entirely happy during your stay. Our Standard rooms do not have air conditioning but our Executive Rooms and Suites do as they were rooms added during our last major refurbishment.

I am pleased that you found the our staff friendly and attentive.

I hope that you will return to the Trident as we are currently planning our winter refurbishment.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 August 2014

Just got back today from 5 days in this hotel and I have to say it was fab. Only one small criticism is the car park. We got back from a lovely day's sightseeing and couldn't get parking because there was a wedding on. We asked at reception and were told we could park along the quay somewhere. I'm a nervous ninny at the best of times with the car so thankfully my wife found an empty car park about a few mins walk. The car was fine and we moved it back the next morning but I'd rather not have to worry about finding somewhere to park the car. Apart from that little upset, we loved the place. We did go with one of the suites, 303, with fantastic view. We were blessed with amazing weather. Views across the harbour were stunning.

I want to draw attention to all of the bar staff who were excellent. We dined in the bar a few times and I know it shouldn't be a rarity but seeing them all deal with guests of various ages and dietary requirements with such patience and respect was a joy. Nothing was too awkward for them, an omelette, not on the menu was requested and whipped up in no time. We didn't dine in the restaurant but if the food was anything to go by the bar I'm sure it was equally good. Also not just one but three vegetarian options on the bar menu! Normally I have to ask for the Vegetarian special of the day.

Will be back hopefully sometime.

1 Thank Shelly F
Dear Shelly,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us in the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your 5 day stay and that you found your room, our food and service to be of a high standard.

I'm sorry that you had some difficulty finding parking on the day that there was a wedding in the hotel, but I am pleased that our reception staff were able to direct you to some suitable temporary parking. We usually find that there is a constant turnover of cars as our guests and customers come and go and we are normally able to find parking even if it takes a few minutes. Fortunately Kinsale is within easy walk so we advise our guests to park and walk around the town. Of course we wouldn't dissuade you from sight seeing in the wonderful West Cork area!

Thank you for your very kind comments about our staff, food and service in our Wharf Tavern.

I hope that we will see you back again soon.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 24 August 2014 via mobile

When we arrived at the hotel I had some concerns. It is a 4-story building that wraps around the parking lot, and looked pretty dated. Check in was easy and efficient. The decor feels like it could use a refresh, but everything was very clean. Our room was large and well furnished. The bed was enormous and very comfortable. Great bathroom with tub and shower, and all the plumbing was understandable and worked! Had two chairs and a table, plus a desk and chair. The chairs looked a little worn, but they were very comfortable. The real star was the view. A wall of windows looked out onto the bay. We gazed out for hours, watching boats come and go. It was spectacular. Breakfast was included in our rate and was quite good. Coffee was weak, but the food had a good variety and was high quality. Had a drink in the bar, and that was a good experience as well. Overall I was surprised how much we enjoyed our stay here. The decor could use some updates, but it is very comfortable and the view cannot be beat.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jim S
Dear Jim,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay with us in the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that you had a pleasant stay. We are very fortunate to be located where we are - right on the harbour side and just a few minutes walk from the town center.

The hotel was built in a 'U' shape to maximize the wonderful views. All of our rooms have a view either directly across the harbour or up the Bandon river or inner harbour.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the views, the large bed and bathroom and also the breakfast. We plan to continue our refurbishment during the off season.

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Trident and Kinsale in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 24 August 2014

We stayed for a night at the Trident Hotel in August. We enjoyed the short stay and found the room to be clean and tidy. No fridge or mini bar though which I thought was odd. None the less we enjoyed our stay. The bar staff in the residents bar were friendly and accommodating. Breakfast was good and enjoyable watching the morning activities on the water. We walked the short distance in to the town and enjoyed a meal out and a walk around this beautiful little place.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
GHCMcE, General Manager at Trident Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 25 August 2014
Dear Samimay,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us in the Trident Hotel.

I am delighted that you had such a pleasant stay and that you found our night staff to be accommodating. I am glad that you enjoyed breakfast while overlooking Kinsale harbour and all the activities - there is nothing more relaxing!

I hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the Trident and Kinsale in the near future although I realize that Melbourne is not just around the corner!

Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

We stay here almost everytime we come to Kinsale which is mostly twice a year, unfortunately we could only get 1 night as hotel fully booked tried my best to stay here for the 2 nights as it was a special birthday for my husband but couldn't get the 2 nights a little annoying, stayed in our usual harbour view room and it was great, just a tiny issue the wifi was shockingly slow, it worked for a short while then just give up. Breakfast following morning was a treat as always and the manager Hal even had a wee chat with us and other guests, he asked us how our stay was and about our hols etc. which I thought was a nice gesture to see him mingle with guests!! No doubt we hope to be back before yr is out.

• Stayed August 2014
Dear Amanda,

Thank you for your very positive review of your recent stay with us in the Trident Hotel.

I am sorry that we were not able to get the second night for you on this occasion - thankfully from our point of view we have been very busy. I'm sure that the reception staff would have worked something for you if it was possible.

Regarding the WiFi, the good news is that we will shortly have eFiber broadband which will speed up the download by approximately 10 fold! It has just arrived in this area!

It was a pleasure to meet with you and have a brief chat during your stay. Where possible I like to meet with our guests at some stage during their stay but unfortunately this is not always possible.

We look forward to seeing back in the Trident before too long.

Managing Director
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinsale
Actons Hotel Kinsale
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
Perryville House
#6 of 53 in Kinsale

Been to Trident Hotel Kinsale? Share your experiences!