“Great renovation of nice hotel”

Actons Hotel Kinsale
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Reviewed 15 May 2013

We stayed three days from the 6th to the 9th of May 2013. The hotel is really well renovated, with nice walk in showers, good beds with great mattresses, in the rooms. All up the hotel is a bit of a gem, central in Kinsale, free parking, nice bar and good breakfast. Staff was really nice and helpful, so I recommend it and would stay again if I was in the surroundings. Just behind the hotel there is a nice Italian restaurant, the Stolen Pizza, which is really good, as is Fishy Fishy very close by.

Room Tip: Choosing a sea facing room is recommendable.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Martin_the_Dane

Reviewed 15 May 2013

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Reviewed 14 May 2013

My family and me moved to Ireland a couple of months ago, in order to have a better quality of life. Now that we have settled in we wanted to join a gym. We had already visited Carlton hotel Kinsale, were the staff were very friendly and who took the time to give us a tour of the gym and facilities.

My husband and I wanted to shop around before we committed to a yearly contact, so decided to check out the Action Hotel Gym. We were aware that the hotel had recently had been under construction, however we still wanted to have a look around and we wanted to find out prices ect.

We decided to go and ask at the main reception area. As we entered the hotel we noticed a young couple walking away from the reception area. I can only describe the young couples mood as looking very sad and upset.

My husband and I noticed that there was only one person working behind the reception desk. She was a middle aged women as we approached the desk straight away we could tell that this women was in a mood which I can only describe as sometimes liked the weather in Ireland, dull, frosty and very cold.

We asked the women about the gym. Before my husband could even finish the sentence. The women snapped back stating that the gym was being refurnished and it would not be opened until the first week in June, and she did not know how much the membership was. I tried to ask another question as i did she rolled her eyes and in a very sarcastic manner answered I DON'T HAVE ANY INFORMATION.

The Irish are know for there welcoming hospitality not hostility. Being polite and helpful cost nothing.

8  Thank Maria C
Sarah D, General Manager at Actons Hotel Kinsale, responded to this reviewResponded 17 May 2013

Dear Maria C.

Thank you most sincerely for bringing this matter to my attention. I am extremely concerned to hear of this incident and I apologise unreservedly for the manner in which you and your husband were addressed. I would greatly appreciate if you would contact me directly so that I may fully address this issue.

Once again on behalf of the team here I again offer our most sincere apologies, we are committed to delivering the highest level of guest care and I am extremely sorry that in your experience this was not the case.

Reviewed 13 May 2013

How nice to come back to Actons to inspect the refurbishment and discover that all the potential of its wonderful location is now being fulfilled. Teething problems? A few, but nothing to disturb the impression that they've got it right and are working hard to make things work. Lovely staff; great views of the harbour; great value for money

Room Tip: A harbour view is a must
Reviewed 4 May 2013

We stayed in Actons as part of a christening party on Saturday 27 April of this year. Actons had just reopened after being refurbishment works so I was expecting nothing but good things from the standard of finish. Upon arrival our check in was expedited by the Manager on duty (Amie I think - sorry if thats not your name!). We were checked into Room 321 (standard double) but were immediately informed that the shower was not working. There is still some snags that need to be fixed from the renovations. We were also offered room 311 down the hall as a changing/shower room to compensate for this and there was fresh fruit and water put into 321 for us. Although it was a slight inconvience it did not detract from the stay at all. Room 321 was a large double room with seating area, workstation, flat screen tv etc. It is located to the rear of the hotel so no sea views. We were lucky in the fact that immediately behind our room across the narrow street there was no another building, so our room was not over looked. Everything in the room was new and the bed a proper double. To block out any street noise, the windows were fitted with another internal sliding window, a pull down blind and black out curtains. We did not hear any street traffic during our stay.

Just one point to note on the rooms. Room 311 was a very small double located behind the elevator shaft. It is not suitable for double occupancy. It is ok for a single occupancy, quick one night stop over and all you want to do is sleep. It is a small room and as I said behind the elevator shaft, so you do hear the workings when it is in use. The great thing is Hotel Management recongise this and did not try and squash people in there just to sell the room, which they could very easily have done. The hotel was fully booked out, yet we were offered room 311 in addition to our own spacious room. We were also to invite a non-guest to book into room 311 for free if we wished.

We did not eat in the restaurant so I cannot comment on that, but the breakfast was lovely, and despite being busy, service was quick and attentive. The lesuire facilities were closed so unfortunately we did not use those facilities either. The car park can get full quickly, so if you get a car space, park up for the day, otherwise you have to find on street parking nearby which can be challenging.

What stood out the most for us was the standard of customer service and attention to detail from the staff. We stayed in many a placel from B&B's to 5 star hotels across the country and yet I can say that the customer service in Actons was second to none. From management, receptionists, to all the bar staff. Service was always friendly and efficent.

All in all, I would throughly recommend the hotel if your looking for somewhere to stay in Kinsale. As for the location of the hotel, you cannot find a better place.

Well done to the Management at Actons, whatever you're doing in the background to keep your staff motivated it is certainly working. Also well done to the all the staff, especially the bar staff. I hope that there is an option of a pay increase at your next review....

Room Tip: My sister booked a delux room. She was in room 324. Seaview, small walk in closet, and sightly large...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank Rob C
Reviewed 25 April 2013

Nice to see the old place open again in it's wonderful location overlooking Kinsale Harbour and town.
The recent refurb has improved the hotel greatly and while I would prefer an old fashioned bar - that's just a personal choice.
The bedrooms have been updated and while on the small side the beds are of high quality and one must remember one is in an old building with most amenities close to hand with free parking on a first come first served basis.
Bar food was pretty good with the open smoked salmon sandwich coming to the fore.
Buffet breakfast had plenty of choice but some items on cooked breakfast could certainly be improved upon.
Overall, quite satisfactory; will return.

Room Tip: Ask for harbour view, if available worth a little extra.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Sarah D, General Manager at Actons Hotel Kinsale, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2013

Dear CoKerry10,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review following your recent stay with us. We're delighted that overall you had a positive experience of the new Actons and thank you for your recommendations.

Actons is indeed an old lady and as such we have all sort of shapes and sizes in the rooms but like yourself we do think this adds to the charm. And our location and views cannot be beaten!

Thank you also for your comments on the breakfast buffet, I'm glad you were pleased with the offering there. If you have the time to do so I'd appreciate if you could contact be directly regarding the area in which you felt the cooked breakfast required improvement.

Reviewed 25 April 2013

We stayed in Actons end of March shortly after the hotel reopened for business after a refurbishment. It was a number of years since we stayed there when the hotel was very "tired" and run down. Our reaction to the revamp was "very impressed". The hotel has been renovated from top to bottom and is done very well.
The only comment I would make is that the bar/bistro area needs some work done to introduce some atmosphere. As the hotel is only recently reopened I am sure this will happen over time.
The rooms are new, the breakfast is cooked fresh in the kitchen (which I prefere to buffet style). We will certainly be back if they maintain the standard they have opened with.

Room Tip: P.S. Ask for a room with harbour view. The rear view is out onto a narrow street.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Seamus,

Thank you so much for your very kind comments following your recent stay in Actons of Kinsale. We are delighted to hear that you are impressed with our refurbishment to date and that you enjoyed your stay with us.

We are already working on some finishing touches on the Sidney Bar and Brasserie area to make the area more cosy and atmospheric. We expect to have this work completed ahead of the Summer season.

Thank you also for your comments about breakfast, we are working hard to ensure this becomes a trademark of the new Actons! I've passed your comments onto the kitchen team.

I hope you might have the opportunity to return again soon and once again thank you for your kind remarks.

Breda Keane Shortt

Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinsale
Blue Haven Hotel
#3 of 5 in Kinsale
Centre
The River Lee
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork

Been to Actons Hotel Kinsale? Share your experiences!