“Location is fabulous; otherwise ordinary”

Actons Hotel Kinsale
Ranked #1 of 5 Hotels in Kinsale
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
“Location is fabulous; otherwise ordinary”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My husband and I were passing through Kinsale for one night while touring around Ireland (my husband is Irish and I'm American...have been to Ireland countless times on family/business trips but this was my first time in Kinsale). Both by asking friends and surfing the internet it seemed that Acton would be the best choice as on the harbour (water view a must for me when that is possible) and pricing good (as we would have little time in the room, not worth spending a large amount for more upscale property).
Parking is available onsite which was appreciated. However, I didn't realize that the hotel is not actually "on" the harbour but is separated back from the water by a main road and the parking lot...we booked a deluxe harbour view room and I requested the end unit (as usually quieter); we did have a lovely view over the garden and the harbour, but to do so you also have to view the entire parking lot and there is no way of avoiding the noise of people coming in and out of the hotel all day/night. We were on the 3rd floor, end unit on the right with nicest harbour view possible (can't recall the number now) and it was still a bit disappointing.
We were told that the hotel has been renovated. I could see that but at the same time it made me wonder what a wreck it must have been previously if this was considered a full renovation? Hall carpets still look as if they are from the 50s, and the rooms just average although clean and comfortable (nice duvet and bathroom quite modern). Doors easily slam shut behind you so that also adds to the noise levels.
We found the staff to be very nice (I was on the lookout after reading the bad reviews about the front desk staff....) although we had little need for communication with them. The lady behind the front desk when we checked out seemed to sincerely want to know if our stay had been good.
We were thrilled that there was a fitness center next to the hotel that we could use for free as hotel guests (we would have been willing to pay...almost impossible to find decent gyms in hotels while traveling in Ireland and with all the food we ate along the way, it was great to get a thorough workout in a really good gym...also has a large swimming pool).
My main complaint, and it is not really a fair one, is that the hotel was swarming with children and therefore extremely noisy. Obviously, the hotel is child-friendly, which is a good thing if you have children, but we don't and when trying to take a nap before dinner it was absolutely impossible (even with windows closed) as kids were running all over outside (a sunny day in Ireland which says it all).
We didn't dine at the hotel as so many good restaurants in Kinsale and we went to Fishy Fishy (a two minute walk from the hotel) to meet up with friends and had an excellent meal there. Breakfast at the hotel was adequate but nothing special. Service was extremely slow; I'd suggest during the breakfast rush hour that the hotel supply a few more staff as the poor waitresses were running around and could not keep up. We had to ask the waitress twice to get coffee and it still only came about 20 minutes later. We didn't bother to order from the menu and just had some bits from the buffet. Juices all canned which to me is always an indicator of a mass market breakfast spread.
All in all, we were there just one night so it was fine. If you have kids, it's a great hotel (and next to a children's funhouse so even more appealing to those with children). If I had to stay any longer in Clifden, I would have moved out day two and found a far more upscale property that does justice to Kinsale and surrounds.

Room Tip: Ask for end room with harbour view.
2 Thank Asiaexpat81
Sarah D, General Manager at Actons Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 23 August 2013
Dear review,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of Actons following your brief stay with us. We are sorry to hear that you were disappointed with aspects of your stay. The view from Actons is considered one of the best in Kinsale as we look directly onto the harbour.

Please accept my sincere apologies that you experienced delays at breakfast service on the occasion of your stay. We strive to provide a high level of food and service at breakfast in Actons, with a wide selection of hot items cooked fresh to order from the kitchen including French toast, fresh harbour fish of the day, omelettes, vegetarian breakfast and of course the traditional full Irish breakfast. Our cold buffet selection features, fresh fruit, fresh fruit salad, freshly stewed prunes, a selection of yogurts, freshly baked home made Irish breads, breakfast pastries all of this in addition to a wide selection of breakfast cereals, and a range of juices.

I'm sorry that you were disappointed in our recent refurbishment, our carpets through-out the building are high quality Irish made carpets especially woven to the specifications of the interior designer as part of our recent refurbishment.

Actons and Kinsale has always been a family friendly location and we are very happy to welcome families amongst our wide range of guests. In fact many of our guest will relay stories of staying with us as children. We have only 10 family rooms our of a total of 74 rooms so it is most unusual to hear of our other guests being disturbed by children.

We're glad that you enjoyed the complimentary use of our newly refurbished Leisure Club and gym and that you found our staff friendly and helpful. We are also glad that you found the location and car parking convenient and the bedrooms to be clean and comfortable. We hope that you enjoyed the rest of your trip to Ireland and that you and your husband will continue to recommend Ireland, Kinsale and indeed Actons overseas.

Breda Keane Shortt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 17 August 2013

We recently booked a two night stay B & B and one dinner included. We decided to have the meal on the first night. Firstly the room we were given had an awful view of nothing! Looking out onto a side street. We couldnt leave the window open even though the room was totally stuffy as we were awoken the first night by the sounds of a group of youths involved in a fight on the street outside. Apparently all the families are given these rooms to the back of the hotel with no view!!

Going back to the meal that we had "included" in our package on the first night... We were put into the restaurant where there was absolutely no-one else eating even though it was 6.30pm. Very unusual for a hotel where other families were staying, but as the meal progressed it became clear. I can honestly say it was one of the worst meals we have had in a long time, if ever! It was actually a disgrace to be given such a meal and then to be given the impression that you are getting a great deal! It is no wonder that no-one was eating here, I mean you are in Kinsale and you are given the choice of one fish dish which was salmon. The other choices were chicken and roast beef!!! You are in the gourmet capital of ireland where fish and food in general is so important and this is all Actons can offer!

The breakfast was just average here also. Actons would want to look at the reviews in relation to their food and do something about it before it is too late. Needless to say the 2nd night there was no way in hell we were eating anything in the hotel and had a great meal in Fishy Fishy! What a shame and pity for Actons!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Geraldine O
Dear Geraldine and family,

We're very sorry to read your comments following your recent stay in Actons of Kinsale and to learn about your disappointed with aspects of your stay.

Actons hotel is located in what was originally 4 town houses which were the home of merchant families in Kinsale. The buildings are listed as historically and the original entrances to the houses was from O'Connell Street which is now the back of the hotel. Unfortunately the design of the original buildings the largest rooms happen to be located in the part of the hotel that is now to the back and as space is crucial to families these are now are family rooms. We are sorry that you were disturbed by noise from the street, this is very unusual as Kinsale is usually a very quiet town and the street side rooms are fitted with a an additional triple glazed window.

The inclusive dinner menu is valued at €25. This menu consists of a choice of 3 starters, 4 main courses and 3 desserts plus tea and coffee. This menu changes daily and the main courses options always include 1 meat, 1 chicken, 1 fish and 1 vegetarian menu. All items are freshly produced from high quality locally sourced ingredients whenever possible. This menu represents excellent value for money however should our guests wish they can choose off the extensive dinner menu and the dinner allowance can be used towards this.

Geraldine Fishy Fishy is indeed a fantastic restaurant, a destination restaurant not just in Ireland but regularly featuring on the short list of must visit restaurants for overseas guests staying in Kinsale. The price of dinner on the second night of your trip is probably reflective of this and as such is not a direct comparison to your set dinner menu in Actons.

We hope that you may consider giving Actons another opportunity to impress you, should you wish to re-book I'd be happy to handle your booking directly and to ensure your return stay will not dis-appoint.

Your sincerely,

Staten Island, New York
Reviewed 14 August 2013

We arrived around three in the afternoon and upon entering, the young lady at the front desk was not too pleasant. It appears as if we were interfering with her day. But the more mature lady was very accommodating and makes us feel welcome. We requested electrical adapters for our computers, and she went far and beyond the call of duty looking for one for us. The room a bit small but clean but. My complain is that there is no air conditioning and the noise from pub outside our window is very distracting and closing the window will make the room too warm. I hope I have a better night tomorrow we are for two nights. right now the noise level outside is unbearable it is now 2:00 in the morning and I cannot sleep.

Dear JP,

Thank you for your review following your recent stay with us. I hope that the actions of our Front of House Manager Alice Harrington made the remainder of your stay with us more pleasant and that you have some positive memories of Actons and indeed of Kinsale.

As Alice explained the noise you experienced was an unfortunate occurrence with over enthusiastic young people who had on that day received the results of Ireland's state exams. we're very sorry that your sleep was disturbed by this.

Wexford, Ireland
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We had a lovely one night stay in the Actons Hotel. The room was lovely and spotless, the bed so comfy and we had a lovely view of the water. I would have given full marks except for our meal that evening. We both ordered steaks which was cooked beautifully except we were disappointed to get frozen chips. Also the bar does not serve crisps, peanuts or chocolate bars as we were told that they would take the "peckishness" off customers and they would not order food. Breakfast the following morning was also quiet slow and the staff were very obliging in giving us fresh tea when we were served breakfast.

Dear Sarah,

Thank you for your review of Actons following your recent stay with us. I'm delighted to read that you found the room to your satisfaction and enjoyed the great view. I'm also pleased to read that you enjoyed your steaks for dinner. I'm sorry that you were disappointed with the chips served as a side dish, we do use frozen chips at present but this is under review with our new head chef.

Sarah, I'm sorry to learn about the remark of one of our bar staff about snacks, I'm not sure if this was meant as a humorous comment on their behalf and if so that was completely inappropriate. We don't stock crisps for sale in the bar however this is not to encourage more people to eat from the bar menu it is purely an operational issue. We are introducing complimentary bar snacks with drinks in the evening as part of our new cocktail and speciality drinks menu.

Once again my sincere apologies for any misunderstanding, I hope next time you return to Actons we'll score the full 5 points.

Reviewed 10 August 2013 via mobile

Myself and my fiancée went to Actons for a Saturday lunch. Very unimpressed. The sauteed chicken sandwich I had was dry and the chicken was crispy throughout. The only flavour I could get was from the mayo on the sandwich. My fiancée ordered the steak sandwich and in her own words it was embarrassing - it was supposed to come with mushrooms and onions but when she got it it had 2 lousy pieces of mushroom and 1 string of onion. The steak itself was dry and not very tender. I really could not recommend the food here.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank ChrisKennedy85
Sarah D, General Manager at Actons Hotel Kinsale, responded to this review, 11 August 2013
Dear Mr Kennedy,

I'm sorry to read that you and your fiancé were disappointed with the lunch you had in Actons yesterday. I have brought your comments to the attention of our head chef who has asked to be associated my apologies to you. Generally we receive very positive feedback about the standard of food and I'm sincerely sorry that on this occasion we seems to failed to deliver to our usual high standards.

Reviewed 9 August 2013 via mobile

Really enjoyed the bank holiday weekend in Actons Kinsale. Fully booked but felt well taken care of by staff. Rooms spotless and would have been perfect with air conditioning. Best part - Breakfast, excellent!!

• Stayed August 2013
Dear Lucajoan,

Thank you for your kind remarks following your stay with us last week-end. We're delighted you enjoyed your time with us and enjoyed your breakfast! We believe it is the most important meal of the day and because of that our chefs cook the extensive selection of hot breakfast dishes to order. We're glad that the extra efforts show.

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I stayed here with my boyfriend for the Bank Holiday weekend in August. Kinsale is always busy during this time and it was great to get such good accommodation (though we booked well in advance). Staff at reception were very polite and friendly and helped bring in my bags too. I'd like to compliment Louise at the reception desk, she is a credit to this Hotel and has lovely manners and was so helpful. We has a room on the 3rd floor with great views of the Harbour, a comfy bed and a large rainfall style shower. Breakfast was delicious and the hot choices are cooked fresh once ordered. The hotel has a great leisure centre and I had a massage on the Saturday and it was the best value massage I've come across in an Irish hotel. The hotel is minutes away from the town centre where there are plenty of pubs, cafes and restaurants to cater for all tastes. The hotel was more then I'd usually pay for B&B (€155 per night) but it was a Bank Holiday and it was worth the cost. I would highly recommend this hotel to other couples for a weekend getaway.

Room Tip: Stayed in room 312, small but with lovely views and a fantastic shower.
Dear Sibh,

Thank you for your very kind comments posted following your recent stay at Actons of Kinsale. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us. Especially thank you for your lovely comment about Louise on reception. Louise is a recent addition to our reception team having previously worked in the bar and restaurant with us. Your comments have meant a huge amount to Louise as she finds her feet in her new role, honestly she was beaming after reading your lovely comments. Please continue to spread the word about Actons and we hope we may have the opportunity to welcome you back again in the future.

Breda Keane Shortt
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kinsale
Trident Hotel Kinsale
The River Lee
#2 of 23 in Cork
Perryville House
#7 of 53 in Kinsale

Been to Actons Hotel Kinsale? Share your experiences!