“Friendly and Comfortable”

Ranked #13 of 55 Kinsale B&B and Inns
Dublin
“Friendly and Comfortable”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I had booked with the Blue Haven so wasn't expecting to stay at the Old Bank. There had been a double booking at the hotel, so we were accommodated in the Old Bank instead.

The experience started with a very warm welcome when I arrived. We discussed my plans for the evening, and various suggestions were made. I realised the restaurant and bar being recommended were all owned by the same crowd as the B&B.

The room was very pleasant: nice antique furniture. The bathroom was a little disappointing. While large and clean it wasn't very well designed. When I sat in the bath I couldn't reach the soap dispenser which is bolted on the wall. When I manoeuvred myself in to position it squirted soap in my face. The sink had no stopper, so I had to shave with the hot tap running. The bedroom windows desperately need a clean.

Breakfast was excellent, although our waitress said nothing about the buffet table, which we only noticed as we left. The quality of the food was higher that I expected.

The Old Bank was a friendly and comfortable stay.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cheezypuf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Brit in Gulf
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2013

A small hotel with a cafe selling "gourmet foods", The Old Bank is an old building, full of charm with minimal facilities but all you need if you are touring all day. Do you really need a pool?

I had room 4 which was at the front of the building and blessed with full length windows and high ceilings, letting in maximum natural light and wonderful to gaze out onto the main street! I recommend this room for your stay but you must like green; despite the street lighting outside the window - the heavy curtains make sure this is not a problem. The room was a good size, decent shower and a massive king bed. The odd cobweb dressed the chandelier, but then again, I have cobwebs on my living room ceiling light, so who am I to object?

The hotel was the most central in town and as a result, has no dedicated car park but this did not matter. Street parking is free between 18.30 and 10.30 the following morning and you pay around e2 for 2 hours after that. Considering we were driving around, this was not a problem and parking was easy to find.

What sets this hotel from the rest of the pack was the breakfast! Of course the full Irish was on offer, as were eggs Florentine and Benedict, omelettes, French toast and so on. The cold table had fresh fruit salad and a fruit compote to die for. Coffee was made by the Barista to order (no ordinary pot of coffee here!) and the hotel staff were all wonderful, giving full attention to the guests and making everyone feel at home. The small hotel had a great charm and I see why people prefer these types of hotels over the grand but impersonal 100+ room hotels with multiple restaurants etc. I would add that the red carpets did show signs of wear and the effect of dirty/muddy shoes walking over them.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richie-In-Oxon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

We understood that the options in Kinsale weren't great and so I guess we were not surprised. We had requested a king bed and arrived to twins. That was rectified quickly, although the bed was never right with a slant to the bed that had my wife sliding during the night. The bath was small and poorly designed. The location was great for exploring the village.

Room Tip: Best part of the visit was the staff in the bkft area. They opened early for us when we were playin...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Very quaint and unique property with fanatastic location to everything in Kinsale. The room was very spacious and with high ceilings. Other than that the hotel served its purpose for the night. If staying longer I would probably looked to another property. The staff were very friendly and accomodating to our group of 16. Even had a early breakfast bag to go for our next golf round.

Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Trent5007
Rossendale, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 September 2013

A bit quirky, a bit boutique but loads of charm and warmth and a great place to stay to enjoy the beautiful town that is Kinsale
Take breakfast here but take dinner at the sister hotel, The Blue Haven just 7 doors down. The bistro is very good
Parking is on the street but free from the evening before until 10.30am and totally safe
Enjoy that full Irish breakfast!!!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank SimonJ213
Dublin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013

I booked the Blue Haven but they ran out of rooms so put me in here. Its not for me. Its an old house with slanted floors and little corridors in the room. I found it like staying in a really old persons house. It had a hand wash basin and antique furniture in the room. Nice but not for me. Staff were nice, breakfast was nice which i had to have in the Cafe ( Weird ). Expensive for what you get.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Cavan Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

The location of this b&b is by far it's greatest asset!! You are in the middle if everything so you can park the car up and go wandering!!

Room was ok. I got the whole old world charm and the room was very clean but very small. Not much room to manoeuvre at all. It was room 1 and the bathroom was at an angle but also very small. Unfortunately the view was of another roof so not much to see!

I got this hotel in a Supervalu deal but otherwise I would have been disappointed with the room. We also had problems with the hot water in the bathroom.

Breakfast was good with plenty of choice. They display cheeses in the morning but with no crackers in which to eat them I found this a bit odd!!

Would I stay again? Yes for it's location. Was it a luxury stay? No the Carlton up the road was a nicer hotel cheaper with beautiful lake but a little out of the way!

• Stayed August 2013