“The place to stay in Kinsale”
Review of Old Bank House

Old Bank House
Ranked #14 of 52 Kinsale B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 November 2013 via mobile

From our trip to Ireland I fell in love with Kinsale and the fact that our stay at the Old Bank House was just perfect I have to say that I strongly recommend this place to anyone visiting this lovely village. The room not only is spacious but it is also decorated in a very old fashioned but adorable way that makes you feel somewhere special. The bathroom was very clean and included both shower gel and champoo and hand cream too. One of the things we enjoyed the most was the morning breakfast, you should definitely try the pancakes! Enjoy

• Stayed: November 2013
1  Thank barcelonaizmir

Reviewed 10 November 2013

we had a lovely one night stay.Clean, warm, lovely decor. Very friendly staff and great breakfast. staff were very friendly and helpful. Our meal was in the Blue Haven hotel which is part of the hotel group - our meal was gorgeou. Will definitely stay again

Room Tip: no bar/restaurant. but gorgeous cafe for breakfast
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank msmgmgog
Reviewed 6 November 2013

I had booked with the Blue Haven so wasn't expecting to stay at the Old Bank. There had been a double booking at the hotel, so we were accommodated in the Old Bank instead.

The experience started with a very warm welcome when I arrived. We discussed my plans for the evening, and various suggestions were made. I realised the restaurant and bar being recommended were all owned by the same crowd as the B&B.

The room was very pleasant: nice antique furniture. The bathroom was a little disappointing. While large and clean it wasn't very well designed. When I sat in the bath I couldn't reach the soap dispenser which is bolted on the wall. When I manoeuvred myself in to position it squirted soap in my face. The sink had no stopper, so I had to shave with the hot tap running. The bedroom windows desperately need a clean.

Breakfast was excellent, although our waitress said nothing about the buffet table, which we only noticed as we left. The quality of the food was higher that I expected.

The Old Bank was a friendly and comfortable stay.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Cheezypuf
Reviewed 10 October 2013

A small hotel with a cafe selling "gourmet foods", The Old Bank is an old building, full of charm with minimal facilities but all you need if you are touring all day. Do you really need a pool?

I had room 4 which was at the front of the building and blessed with full length windows and high ceilings, letting in maximum natural light and wonderful to gaze out onto the main street! I recommend this room for your stay but you must like green; despite the street lighting outside the window - the heavy curtains make sure this is not a problem. The room was a good size, decent shower and a massive king bed. The odd cobweb dressed the chandelier, but then again, I have cobwebs on my living room ceiling light, so who am I to object?

The hotel was the most central in town and as a result, has no dedicated car park but this did not matter. Street parking is free between 18.30 and 10.30 the following morning and you pay around e2 for 2 hours after that. Considering we were driving around, this was not a problem and parking was easy to find.

What sets this hotel from the rest of the pack was the breakfast! Of course the full Irish was on offer, as were eggs Florentine and Benedict, omelettes, French toast and so on. The cold table had fresh fruit salad and a fruit compote to die for. Coffee was made by the Barista to order (no ordinary pot of coffee here!) and the hotel staff were all wonderful, giving full attention to the guests and making everyone feel at home. The small hotel had a great charm and I see why people prefer these types of hotels over the grand but impersonal 100+ room hotels with multiple restaurants etc. I would add that the red carpets did show signs of wear and the effect of dirty/muddy shoes walking over them.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Richie-In-Oxon
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We understood that the options in Kinsale weren't great and so I guess we were not surprised. We had requested a king bed and arrived to twins. That was rectified quickly, although the bed was never right with a slant to the bed that had my wife sliding during the night. The bath was small and poorly designed. The location was great for exploring the village.

Room Tip: Best part of the visit was the staff in the bkft area. They opened early for us when we were playin...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Very quaint and unique property with fanatastic location to everything in Kinsale. The room was very spacious and with high ceilings. Other than that the hotel served its purpose for the night. If staying longer I would probably looked to another property. The staff were very friendly and accomodating to our group of 16. Even had a early breakfast bag to go for our next golf round.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Trent5007
Reviewed 3 September 2013

A bit quirky, a bit boutique but loads of charm and warmth and a great place to stay to enjoy the beautiful town that is Kinsale
Take breakfast here but take dinner at the sister hotel, The Blue Haven just 7 doors down. The bistro is very good
Parking is on the street but free from the evening before until 10.30am and totally safe
Enjoy that full Irish breakfast!!!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business