Dempsey's Hostel
Macdonald Kinsale Hotel & Spa(Kinsale)(Great Value!)
US$255
US$134
US$243
US$236
Hotels.com
Cork Airport Hotel(Cork)(Great Value!)
US$243
  • Bar/Lounge
Trident Hotel Kinsale(Kinsale)
  • Restaurant
  • Room Service
Munster Arms(Bandon)
Hotels.com
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Avoid!! Worst experience ever with hostel. After we had asked the price, we asked if we could see the room. The manager said: "You want it or not?!" Then we said okay we think about the room (that we couldn't see). We were talking about that situtation on the street when the manager asked if we are still thinking, we said not anymore. Then the manager: "Leave the property now." And actually we were just standing outside the fence on the street. Avoid FAR this property!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
5  Thank Gabor J
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Hostel is basic, clean, hygenic and cosy but very very basic...the staff are outstanding in particular the manager who was great, bit pricey but that's. Kinsale. My bedding was clean but appeared old and tattered, kitchen,bathrooms, toilets all areas were very clean. Great staffed hostel one of the best ever.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed 20 May 2013

We spent only one night, but what a night ! The worst night we spent in ireland. The bed was dirty, like the bathroom. And toilets was so far from the room. The decoration was so bad, it seems that the decoration has not changed since 1970. The location is between a gaz station and a garage.
TO DISADVISE

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Carine et Théo G
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This hostel was quite nice to stay, as it was very cheap. But. There were some problems which we couldn't get over that easily as we managed unless it is at an amazing place (Kinsale). I think the bedding wasn't changed after each guest - so you need to ask it in advance. Anyway everything was really good. There is even a Lidl behind the building. Would still recommend it.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 13 November 2012

I was greeted by Rory .... and shown through the room / kitchen / bathroom ... etc

I only realized he wasn’t the owner – 2 hours after arriving – when I complimented him on the excellent recycling system – seriously the best system I have ever seen (I always believe people are well intentioned – but it has to be made easy for them) … Anyway – when I said how great it was – Rory said please feel free to write it in the visitors book ….. happy to, I said – but that is hardly going to spread the word to the big wide world …… “ no” he replied …. “ but my boss will see it “ …. I was quite taken aback …. Until then …. Everything he had done / said - indicated to me that he was the owner/ manager ! As a past employer – I know how absolutely gold these type of employees are !! People that act as tho’ it is their own business ….

I had said – a little while after arrival – how it looked like a lovely town – and how I wished I had more time to explore (I am working – rushed visit). Rory’s response felt like a genuine “you are welcome anytime” (or something very similar !). Doubt you would get that response from most ‘front deskers’.

Three hours later – I can hear him greeting other guests – and everyone is greeted with the same cheerfulness and professional approach.

When I was an employer – I always said – skills can be taught – it is the ‘right attitude’ that sets the average employee apart from the exceptional.

It is a small hostel - and the wifi works in the room I am in !! woohoo .....

Also - when I drove into the carpark - the mechanic next door said - your headlight isn't working - replaced the globe, and checked the oil (it was low) and only charged me for the parts / oil ..... how good is that !!!

Room Tip: I was in the front room - wifi works in here (may work in others ??)
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business