“Okay as a crash pad”
Review of Guardwell Lodge

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Kinsale
Guardwell Lodge
Reviewed 20 July 2006

Firstly I must stress that I have no major complaints about this place given the incredibly low price we paid to stay here. I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for so my expectations weren't high.

However, our room could have done with a good sweep as there were quite a lot of cobwebs. The shower was temperamental. The water would stop and start at will. We did report this to reception staff (who were all very helpful and friendly) on departure in case they weren't aware of it.

All in all it is fine as a place to crash. I'd recommend it to backpackers but to anyone hoping for luxury I'd say stay somewhere else. The photos on the website look as though they may have been airbrushed!

Stayed: June 2006

Reviewed 20 June 2006

Other reviewers have either loved or hated this place. I don't understand either response. Other than its location, which is splendid, there is little to recommend the place. It wasn't filthy, but was simply too tired and worn to appear polished and fresh, particularly given the water damage to the floors and walls. Certain issues were more comical than truly disturbing -- for example, we had to turn on the faucets in the sink in order to get the water in the tub to run.
In short, this is a wholly unambitious place, with wholly unambitious management. They could have informed us when we arrived how to turn on the hot water. They could have asked if we needed towels, which require a deposit. They could occasionally water the rather sad looking plants. Given all this, it's probably overpriced, but what in Kinsale isn't?

• Stayed: June 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
Poole, Dorset
Reviewed 20 May 2006

I stayed at the Guardwell Lodge May 2006 and was very pleased with the accomodation there. The standard of cleanliness was exceptional, thanks to the girls working there called Hayley and Teresa. The price was reasonable and Kinsale is a beautiful area to visit. Hope you enjoy your stay there, central position in the town.

• Stayed: May 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 4 May 2006

The guardwell lodge bedroom was absolutely filthy. By the term filthy I am attempting to describe the dirt in every single corner of the room, the unswept dirty floor, the vile chip fat smell of the room, the dirt of the windows, the blinds, even the walls were unclean and the furniture looked like it had never been wiped down, never mind polished or cleaned. The room we stayed in had not been cleaned in a very long time. The build up of grease and residue in the corners was incredible - I moved the locker to plug in a phone charger and I was afraid of what might be behind there when I saw the black dirty build up in the corners. Everything was absolutely filthy. There was hair all over the bathroom floor and sink - it hadnt even been swept out, nevermind cleaned or disinfected and it really could have done with an industrial clean. I was unable to sleep that night - I didnt feel comfortable sleeping in the sheets considering the dirt in the rest of the bedroom and bathroom. I stayed fully dressed and slept on the bed rather than in it. I wrote and complained to the manager twice but got excuses rather than an apology. I dont know how anyone could put a family in this establishment.

• Stayed: September 2005
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 15 September 2005

We could not belive that this is a hostel, it was more like a large motel. We had our own room with bath! Extremly affordable, in this very expensive area. Room was clean and bright. Right in the heart of town. We fell asleep listening to some wonderful Irish music that was being played below our window. This is what vacations are all about, we loved it here.

3  Thank Jdehaan