The Landmark Hotel
  • Pool
The Silver Eel(Roscommon)
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsboardwalk cafewedding venuethe riverlovely hotelwedding coordinatorduckfood was amazingreception areafunction roombreakfast roomtop classbreakfast was excellentfrom start to finishrelaxing stayresidents barhen nightfamily room
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 May 2008

The Landmark Hotel is perched on the picturesque banks of the Shannon River. The hotel offers it's guests a nice mix of modern convenience and classic Irish charm. The rooms are very comfortable and nicely appointed with quality furnishings, towels and bed linens. The in -house restaurants and pub offer a nice variety of foods. It's just a short walk up the street to more shops and pubs, and other dining options. There's an AIB ATM nearby as well. There's ample parking right outside the hotel, and I did not notice any noise from the road outside. I had a nice relaxing stay at the Landmark Hotel and would not hesitate to return.

I would highly recommend it to others.

* May, 2008 - There are currently some minor renovations going on in the restaurant/pub area, but they were really nothing to be concerned about and should be completed quickly. Other public areas, such as the lobby have been recently remodeled; and are very nice.

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank Omsibuc
Reviewed 3 December 2007

Had a lovely 2 night stay at this hotel. The room was very comfortable
with a view of the Shannon. The staff couldn't have been more pleasant. Breakfast was all freshly cooked. We ate in The Boardwalk
(the hotel's bar) on the first night. Had the Seafood Chowder which was a meal on its own. Ate in dining room (CJ's) on the 2nd night as it was included in the deal and what a feast.

We were given an "amuse bouche" (freebie starter) of a scallop in a lovely sauce. In between the starters and main we were given a fig and
red wine sorbet to cleanse the pallet and after dessert we were given fruit dipped in chocolate or in little chocolate cups. I'm not sure if
this is the norm as we were on the set menu but it was really appreciated. All the food was excellent.

The hotel doesn't have any leisure facilities which didn't bother uus.
Carrick-on-Shannon has a bit of a buzz about it even though it's the middle of winter. Plenty of bars to choose from for a bit of craic and
very friendly people.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank N_IrelandFranco
Reviewed 22 November 2007

Nice new hotel in a good spot with some lovely views of the Shannon river. I wasn't expecting my "room with a view" to be overlooking a busy road but across that then was the river so I can't really fault that- the view was there afterall! I was worried about noise but a long day and the beginnings of a migraine saw me asleep in minutes.

The decor is old-style which made a nice change to the boutiquey-style places I've been staying in of late. Very cozy and comfortable and the reception area was gorgeous. Check in was smooth and quick but this was followed by a trek to my room which was on the second floor and at the exact opposite end of this wide hotel! The room itself was great, very spacious and clean, plenty of tea and coffee and a sofa too which was a nice touch. I suspect I got lucky and that this wasn't a standard room. The bathroom however was a big letdown. Very small and grotty. The bath needed a good scrub and I found the shower a bit weak. Even the bathroom treats weren't worth taking and usually I take a shower cap or two!

Now, here's the worst of it. After a long day I got back to my room around 7.30pm and after a quick tidy-up went down to the bar with dinner in mind. I was given a menu on entry and after taking a seat, I waited and waited for someone to take my order. It was coming up on a half hour before I went up to the bar to at least get a drink and get their attention. I was ignored completely as the bar tender continued to chat to other people. I collared a guy on the floor and eventually was served. After dinner (really good food) I was left staring at my dirty plates for a good hour. I hoped someone would take them away as with a raging sweet tooth, I wanted to order dessert and a pot of tea. No one would come so once again, I approached a member of the floor staff only to find out that kitchen was now closed. I went quietly mad and stormed back to my room. Room service was an option but at a charge of €5 a tray before the price of a slice of cheesecake it just wasn't worth it. I drove to the 24hour Tesco instead, picked up an eclair and sped back where I put the kettle on. Annoyed, I had that and went to bed.

Last random bits now: Breakfast was good and the service was a million times better than that of the bar. Wireless broadband should be free- I don't think you should have to pay for it in a 4 star hotel. And on that note, they're trying hard to be a 4 star but a few key things are letting them down. Not bad, but won't stay again.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank Tara W
Reviewed 25 September 2007

Restaurant brilliant
staff brilliant
room brilliant
value brilliant
atmosphere brilliant
cleanliness brilliant (thanks Bridie)
This is probably the most comfortable hotel I've stayed in for 5 years, including some 5 stars.
Mike Lloyd

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mlloyd01
Reviewed 16 August 2007

Stayed here for two nights at the start of August and had a lovely room overlooking the Shannon - see picture - We used room service, ate in the restaurant and in the conservatory - gorgeous cakes/gateaux and breads. At all times everything was of the highest standards - our most excellent evening meal was beautifully cooked and presented. The staff were always so helpful and friendly. This was most certainly a 5 star experience.
There was a wedding in the Hotel every night but we never heard any noise. We had a room at the front and got no noise there either.Will certainly stay and eat there again.

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled with family