“Avoid”

Dining options: Delivery, Reservations
Galway, Ireland
“Avoid”
Reviewed 20 May 2013

I visited Shamrat last weekend with a group of friends. We were a little wary on arrival as there were no other customers there when we arrived (and none came). The waiter showed us to our table, brought some popadums and left. No one came near us for what seemed like an age and we were very ready for food when our order was finally taken. It was disappointing to hear they didnt serve alcohol and everyone except me ordered a cola instead. I asked for water instead. We later learned they are happy for people to bring their own and it would have been good if the waiter had told us.
When (eventually) the drinks came there were in a glass with ice and lemon. One of the group likes neither but he was so thirsty at this stage he drank it anyway fearing another wait. The waiter brought me a cola as well which I had to politely decline.
Then came the long wait for our food. The sizzling dishes came first followed by the rest. Once everyone except me had got their food, there was one dish left which didnt match up with my selection. The waiter returned to the kitchen and came back insisting it was what I ordered. I reluctantly accepted the dish and asked for my water again.
Finally the waiter gave us plates by which time the sizzling dishes were almost cold (as was the naan bread). I can only describe my meal as one of the blandest I have ever had. Think chicken coated with butter and cream. Not the aromatic ginger, spice and coriander the menu promised. General consensus was that each dish could be described as "average" at best.
We quickly finished and asked for the bill. After another wait, we paid cash and left.
Despite this being possibly the worst culinary experience I have ever had, on the positive side, the staff were polite.

• Visited May 2013

Dublin, Ireland
“If you like Indian food, this place is good value.”
Reviewed 16 May 2013

Okay, not may Indian diners in Carrick but this place ticks all the boxes.
Menu is varied but perhaps could be enhanced by offering some SET DINNERS.
Service is prompt and efficient. And the price is right.
Strangely, it probably doesn't do as well as it should - the three or four times we visited, it was easy enough to get a table on weekend nights.

• Visited August 2012
Downpatrick, United Kingdom
“Fantastic food, lovely staff, just bring your own wine! Definitely go!”
Reviewed 12 May 2013

Great food, lovely staff, definitely go! We didn't realise that it was byo so that's my best tip!
Enjoy!

• Visited May 2013
Leitrim
“Great food. Great value.”
Reviewed 5 March 2013

We eat in the Shamrat regularly and always enjoy both our meals and the friendly staff. The only restaurant in the area where we dont feel ripped off. No problem in bringing your own wine or beer and no corkage is charged. Definitely recommend.

• Visited February 2013
Dublin, Ireland
“Really great value, lovely staff”
Reviewed 3 March 2013

This restaurant is nestled right in the heart of Carrick-on-Shannon. The staff are really friendly and efficient. I ate here today with a large group - and the spacious layout meant it was really comfortable for our party of 7. One of the members of the group informed me that the restaurant allows people to bring their own alcohol - and does not charge a corkage fee - which the restaurant manager confirmed to be the case.

Poppadoms and selection of dips were brought out to start while we waited to order. As someone who enjoys making curries myself, I would recommend going with the more tomato-based curries as they taste that little bit more authentic. But to be quite honest, their Sunday lunch offer includes a three course meal (choice of starter, main course incl. naan or rice, and dessert or coffee) for €7.50. The total bill for our entire group (including extra coffees and soft drinks) came to less than €55...this place would be ideal for any large hen/stag parties or groups staying on the cruisers with the added bonus that you can bring your own booze.

• Visited March 2013