“Horrid.” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Wild Geese Restaurant

Wild Geese Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 19 Restaurants in Adare
Cuisines: Irish, European
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: The Wild Geese restaurant is centrally located in the historic village of Adare Co.Limerick, occupying one of the original thatched cottages dating from the 1820's. The restaurant, with its beautiful doll-like settings, lends itself to a relaxing and atmospheric fine dining experience with seating for up to sixty people. The perfect venue for pre and post wedding parties, romantic meals and ideal for a business dinner to showcase the best of locally sourced food. Menus, opening hours, special offers are available on our website.
San Francisco, California
“Horrid.”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

I usually depend on my Trip Advisor family to give me good advice. WIth this place they have failed me. This place is like a bad diner. We walked in and I had to use the toilet. It was like something meant to insult the patrons. Open window with no covering whiile you were in a position not meant to be viewed. Sink barely usable as the faucet is not long enough for the water to reach your hand. The hand soap was obviously watered down. Gross. Menus were old and stained. The plates were chipped. The silverware blackened. Service not existing since it took 30 minutes for a woman to come take our order. Each thing took forever to arrive. Dirty dishes never removed. Food not good. Salad with pine nuts okay but all else bland beyond belief. French fries like Mc Donalds instead of home made chips you find everywhere else in Ireland. And expensive too. Avoid this place at all costs. Do not believe the positive reviews. Trust me.

7 Thank misanthropicdreamer

Cape Elizabeth, Maine
“Clearly the best in Adare”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2014

They accommodated my daughter who is vegan by making a wonderful eggplant dish with all vegan ingredients including soy milk; secondly when she forgot her purse we called from the airport and David was kind enough to ship it back to her in America. The service was excellent; only minor hiccup was they ran out of the wine we liked as it was busy that evening and we had 6 wine drinkers. Everyone loved their meal and we all tried something different so we could sample from one another’s plates. My favorite was the Panseared Fillet of Irish Beef topped with a Presto Crust on Mushroom and Bacon Compote – to die for. Second favorite was the Roast Rack of Irish Lamb served with Rosemary and Thyme Potato Gratin with Creamed Leeks, Rosemary Jus. Yum. If in Adare you simply must eat at the Wild Geese!!!

4 Thank GGraessle
Limerick
“Below average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2014 via mobile

I was so disappointed here on my last visit. I have tossed between a 3 & 2 star rating, but, in honesty, it was below average...hence 2 stars.
Albeit, that it has been probably 3 years since I was last here - it is not what I had been remembering or hoping for on this visit. This is a restaurant that I would have gone to for a "special" dinner (birthdays and the likes) in the past. I loved their attention to detail, their menu and their service. However, it looks like time has taken it's toll on the restaurant. It is TIRED to say the very least. Standards have certainly slipped and, as I have said, I left very disappointed after our night-out here recently.
Upon arrival, we were shown to our table in the downstairs dining room. It was a spacious table for our group (good), however, the first thing that hit me upon entering the dining room was the state of the table linens. They were far, FAR away from white, starched linens that one expects from this type of establishment. The were VERY grey and EXTREMELY wrinkled - unacceptable, in my opinion. The menus were then presented to us - again, they were tired - dog-eared and grubby. Surely it wouldn't have been too much to hit print and produce some fresh menus? Some of the glassware on our table was chipped!! Upon heading upstairs to the bathroom, unfortunately, my opinions were not to be lifted any higher of The Wild Geese. The carpet on the stairs is stripped....not that one would know it. It is FILTHY. The stripped pattern is invisible at all but the very outer edges. I would recommend that they change their laundry provider as the little hand-towels in the bathroom were not soft or bright and fresh either as one would expect.
...All of these negatives and I haven't even had a bite to eat yet ...disappointing. The restaurant was not overly-busy but had a steady flow of custom while we were dining. (It was mid-week). Perhaps because they were not so busy, they chose to be more casual with their service?? We had 3/4 people all serve our table - no 1 person seems to be assigned to us and this, in my opinion leads to below-par service.
Food was tasty, but perhaps a little too heavy. Again, something I always loved when I used to go here before was that after 3 courses, one left satisfied but not "stuffed". On this visit, no one in our party had dessert (unusual for us, there would ALWAYS be at least 2 partaking in it). I know for me, speaking personally, I felt that my starter and mains were sitting too heavily in me to manage a dessert. I had fish for both courses, so I can't imagine how I would have been had I chosen meat.
It's disappointing to see such a change in what had been a real treasure.

Visited July 2014
2 Thank Joe-Ais
limerick
“Disappointing”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

I ate dinner here with my family (mum, dad, brother & sister) at the end of July. It was a family celebration - my mum's birthday. I've eaten here on a number of occasions before, but admittedly it has been 2 years since my last meal here. My parents are big fans of the restaurant, hence my dad booked the meal here.
From start to finish i found the experience to be disappointing especially given the 5 star prices that are charged here.
When we arrived there was no space in the front room for a pre-dinner drink. That's fair enough.....after all we are in a small cottage, and this is the charm of this restaurant. However, when seated at our table in the downstairs of the restaurant, the staff did not offer us that pre-dinner drink to enjoy as we perused the menu. Instead, we drank the tap water that was poured for us until our wine order was taken and poured some 30mins after our seating. If nothing else, it was poor business, as our group of 5 would have certainly ordered that drink and it would have added another €40 to our bill!
The state of the glassware and table linens were appalling. 3 of our 5 wine glasses had chips in the bases. The table linens were grey, un-ironed and un-starched. Overall, the restaurant is tired and in need of a lift. The carpet on the stairs looked filthy and was horribly worn. If not replaced, it is in need of a good professional cleaning job. I love the pretty charger plates here. They've had these for years, and while they look lovely, there were no chips etc....i was still put out by the fact that they are clearly not cleaned regularly, as the stickers from the Meadows & Byrne shop is still on the base of them?! The menus were all very tatty. The corners were turned up, there were food stains on them. Considering they are only printed on regular paper from a regular printer, i think they should click the print button for a few more and dispose of the ones they are currently using.
The staff were pleasant, but i wouldn't rate them overall. There was no system in place as to who worked the station. We had 4 girls serve us and by the end of the night none of us knew which of the 2 main girls serving us was ultimately responsible for our table. I don't think this class of a restaurant should see staff wearing black underwear inside white shirts, and most of the staff wore loom band bracelets; not really my expectation in a restaurant of this caliber. The service was not up to scratch either. 3 of us drank red wine, the other 2 drank white. At one point 2 of the 3 red wine drinkers were poured a top up and the third person was ignored! My mother had to leave her seat to take the white wine from its cooler on the windowsill and pour herself a glass, after she had been left thirsty for too long.
The food was for me unremarkable. There was plenty of it, but that does not a good meal make. I would have preferred half the food and a much higher standard of produce and preparation. Bread was served from a large basket. We were offered 3 types, 1 of which was a brown bread. There was only 1 slice of this in the basket, so that should not have even come as an offering to the table in my opinion. My sister asked for that slice and when it was put on her plate it wasn't even a full slice!!...there was a bit missing off it! I had the salmon & crab starter. It was lovely. For mains i had the cod. There was far too much going on on the plate besides and that seemed to be the consensus around the table. My cod was drowning in a very intense, creamy sauce. I couldn't tell if the fish was decent. I couldn't taste it. It was totally overpowered by the sauce. It was clear that my dish was 1st up to the pass, and had sat there for too long, because when the other plates at the table were lovely and hot, mine was not even warm. I forgave the cool plate until i tasted the food and it was lukewarm. When the staff asked how our meal was, i asked that the give my food a blast in the kitchen to heat it up as it was cool. The girl apologised and brought my plate back some minutes later. The plate was roasting hot when returned, but the food was only a little warmer than previously. It wasn't hot enough for me, but i can understand that maybe the chef did not want to dry the meal out by overdoing the reheating, so i said nothing further and ate my meal.
When it came to paying, the credit card machine with my dads credit card in it, was taken from the room and into the hallway for better connection. This is a huge security issue in my mind. He should have been advised of their connectivity issues, apologies should have been made, and he should be asked to accompany them and his card to the area of better connectivity. We would not have been so understanding, only that our family, (mum & dad in particular) have been coming to this restaurant for as long as it is open.
The experience would not entice me to return and i wouldn't recommend this restaurant to diners in Adare. "Average" is a generous rating of this restaurant.

2 Thank LimerickSinead
Coalville, United Kingdom
“Had to crawl out”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

Adare is full of restaurants similar to the Wild Geese so the competition must keep all the chefs on their toes. Four of us had a lovely evening out here with very welcoming and friendly staff. This was despite the service being a bit ragged at the edges but hey this was Saturday night in mid summer so we could forget about the time it took and the confusion over who had ordered what.
Probably the best meal we had in Ireland and whilst I have a large appetite the steak beat me and I had to metaphorically crawl out on all fours. Well done guys

2 Thank Chaxx