“Ireland beauty”
Review of Adare Manor

Adare Manor
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Adare
Reviewed 27 December 2013

Our family booked a week at the Adare Manor based on my sister's experience several years ago. It was a wise decision.

We flew into Dublin, arriving at 7am after an overnight flight. The Dan Dooley car rental agent at the airport was very helpful, advising us of the tolls and providing maps.

After driving 3 hrs, we arrived at the Adare Estate. It was a little difficult to find the town houses, but with a little help from other residences, we were soon settled into our 3 bedroom condo. This space provided my mid twenty year old daughter and son with their own bedrooms and bathrooms. The master bedroom included a large soaking tub. There was also a 4th full bath on the main level and all bathrooms were equipped with heated towels racks. The beds were very comfortable.

The main floor of the condor included an open floor plan with a marble kitchen, dining table and comfortable living room. The kitchen was stocked with pans, dishes, and glassware. There was a small patio, but we didn't use this.

The townhouses are about one mile from the gates to the Adare Village. Access was made easier by driving our vehicle to the gates and parking on the Estate. There is very little street lighting on the estate, making it a very long, dark walk after visiting the local pubs at night.

Adare Village was wonderful and the people very kind. Their way of life resembles New England 60 years ago... The village is heart of the town. The church, school, market, butcher shop, drug store, hardware store, restaurants and pubs are all located along one Main Street. And we visited many of them.

Sean Collins' Bar became a nightly stop for us. The owner, Sean Collins, provided tips on driving directions, sight seeing and life in general. (A plus was a gluten free menu with delicious pizza.) Bill Chawkes Beer Garden was popular with the younger members of the family, with a deejay at night. Customers in both places were warm and friendly. We had dinner at several restaurants in town. The Blue Door restaurant (with blue window trim and door), offered wonderful menu options. The Wild Geese restaurant was a true delight! The restaurant used to be a home, with most rooms now converted to dining areas. We were met at the door and led to as warm living room where we had before dinner drinks in front of a roaring fireplace. After placing our orders, we were led to our table. Our dinners included pheasant, venison, duck, black (blood) pudding and other local favorites. Delicious!!! Aunty Lena's Bar has great fish and chips.

Driving in Ireland was an adventure! Fortunately we had upgraded our vehicle choice from a small standard vehicle to a mid size automatic. This provided a little extra space which was nice for all the hours we were on the road. The main highways were large, multi lane roads. However, most of the roads we traveled were one or two lanes in both directions. There was even a road that we thought was a cow path that was on the map and GPS! And most roads had a (suggested) speed limit of 65mph. There are frequent pullovers on the narrow roads and we used them frequently!

As for the sites.... The Dingle Peninsula was stunning. We traveled from Adare to the center of Dingle, and then headed straight north thru the mountains. Once we reached the northern coast, we followed the coast back to Dingle. This provided stunning vistas of the coast and mountainside cottages. Dingle is a fishing village with many shops along the docks. One cafe overlooking the seaport, Tree House Cafe offered great seafood chowder and brown bread. This is also were my daughter left her purse around noontime and didn't realize it until later that evening. The owner succeeded in tracking us down and returned the purse completely intact the following day via overnight mail!

The Blarney Castle and gardens were beautiful. However, I went there not knowing anything about the stone other than it is customary to kiss it. Well, the stone is located at the top of the long, winding stone stairway to the top of the castle. And the stone itself isn't anything special... It's just a rock in the outer wall. It is almost like a huge national joke about how many people will travel there and pay to kiss it. But you must spend time in the gardens, then waterfalls, the wishing steps and the surrounding areas.

The city of Kinsale was a disappointment. We had wanted to visit Kinsale because it is the sister city of Newport, Rhode Island, near our home. However, many of the shops were closed for the season.

The Bunratty Castle was interesting. There were several pieces of furniture and wall hangings that were hundreds of years old. The narrow stairways to the roof provided a good look at the village below. And the cottages within the castle walls reminded us of Plymouth Plantations in Massachusetts. We visited there during Christmas time and saw the children visiting Santa's Village, complete with train rides, giant candy canes, decorated store fronts and several Disney characters: Mickey & Mimi Mouse, and Donald & Daffy Duck. The children were so cute in their Sunday best outfits and excited to see Santa.

We visited the Cliffs of Moher on an overcast day and this still didn't do anything to diminish the beauty of area. No pictures that you take will do this place justice. It is so breathtakingly scenic from every angle. There is a lot of walking so wear comfortable, rubber soled shoes to safely navigate the stone walkways and stone steps.

The final location we visited was something we stumbled upon in a brochure. The site, called Dromberg Stone Circle, is similar to England's Stonehenge. Dromberg Stone Circle is hundreds (or thousands?) of years old and is miles from anything. The stone circle is in the middle of a pasture and is now a protected site. My husband is a huge fan of anything National Geographic like so he was thrilled with this peaceful site.

We only spent a 1/2 day in Dublin before our flight home. We toured Christ Church, visited a few pubs and saw Christmas decorations. We just missed the Viking museum.

Overall, we loved our visit to Southwestern Ireland and know we will return again!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank RosieL1277
Sarah M, Guest Relations Manager at Adare Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 2 January 2014

Dear Susan L,

Thank you so very much for your wonderful review of Adare Manor, it is very much appreciated and I'm sure will be a source of very helpful information for those enjoying a holiday in this area.

I look forward to meeting you upon your return, in the meantime, Happy New Year from the entire Adare Manor Team.

Reviewed 26 December 2013

I did not stay here while visiting but I did have lunch and walk the beautiful grounds. I also did some shopping in the gift shop which was quite nice. The lunch we had was probably the best lunch I had during my stay in Ireland.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
Sarah M, Guest Relations Manager at Adare Manor, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear Tgeradi,

Thank you !! it is very much appreciated.... not only for choosing us for lunch but then for taking time to tell us how much you enjoyed it... we hope to see you again..

Happy New Year from the entire team of Adare Manor...

Reviewed 23 December 2013

We arrived early in the morning for a weekend away and were checked-in seamlessly to the self-catering townhouses. These were situated a short walk away from the manor near the clubhouse and spa. The clubhouse and townhouses were not signposted very well as we drove past them toward the villas. I found out later in passing conversation with another guest unrelated to us that we were not the only ones to have done so.
As I begin to unload our luggage I realized very quickly the heating had not been turned on in anticipation of our arrival. It was so cold I could not stay in the townhouse and left the premises quickly. I rang for transportation from the townhouse to the manor gates which arrived promptly.
Upon my return after a few hours I found the heating has been turned on since my departure. However there was still a chill in the air so I left for a very long lunch at the drawing room. I spent my time sitting by the beautiful fireplaces throughout the manor avoiding our cold accommodation.
I finally decided to take a dip in their heated swimming pool. There is a very well kept changing room with shower facilities, bathrobes, and an abundance of towels. I enjoyed the experience tremendously until I grasped the edge of the pool to realize the dip in the tiles along the edge of the pool was filled with a red-brown liquid. I left the pool immediately and never ventured in again.
After washing my hands I decided to spend my time in the steam room. There are about 3 or 4 seats in the chamber and they overlook the river Maigue, which is breathtaking. Here's a tip: as you enter the steam room avoid the first seat from the left as the steam outlet is right under it and I gave a great yelp as the back of my legs were burnt by the billowing steam. I may have missed the display of warning signs about this but I could be wrong.
The concierge was very friendly and helpful. However I cannot say the same for the other staff. I was approached by a male staff enquiring about my stay and I admitted to him the coldness of our townhouse and his reply was "That is odd." There were no further enquiries nor attempts to make our stay more comfortable. I was deeply disappointed.
Dining at Adare Manor was enjoyable and the atmosphere in the Tack Room was good. Drinks served at the drawing room were accompanied by little bitties which took our minds off the crumbs on our chairs and floor. However that is not enough to convince us that the manor is run to a 5-star standard.
I spent the weekend attached to the heaters or under the duvet while in the townhouse.

Room Tip: Avoid the townhouses - they have storage heaters.
3  Thank MayBurns

Dear Mayburns,

Thank you for your review, which is disappointing to read, I would be grateful if you could contact me to discuss in person, my email address is: smcdade@adaremanor.com or ask for me by calling the hotel on 00 353 61 605200.

Kindest regards

Reviewed 16 December 2013

Gorgeous views! Excellent Food! Fantastic Golf Course! This was an amazing place to stay. The hotel was top notch! I feel embarrassed calling it a hotel, because it was more of an adventure in grandeur, than a hotel. We enjoyed the food, the decor, the proximity to the town of Adare, and the people. The castles were amazing to view. The town is quaint. The size of the estate is enormous. The grounds are beautiful with flowers, hedges, and landscape that made me think I was living with Alice in Wonderland. If you go, take special note of the manor. There is a tour of the manor that is worth it! I enjoyed learning the history of the estate. I also liked petting the neighborhood cat that seemed to follow me around outside the Manor as I was taking pictures.

Room Tip: Every room is beautiful. We didn't have a preferrence. If you do go, I would suggest a room not...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Angelia8259
Reviewed 9 December 2013 via mobile

We had a great stay to celebrate a wedding. The hotel is majestic, service is excellent and grounds stunning. The wedding was great with really high quality food and service.
However we were in one of the more average and run down rooms down near the pool. While the room didn't dampen our overall experience, it really was not 5 star. Old TV, dungeon like light, no coffee maker or mini bar. The area near the pool also spells quite damp, the dowside of staying in a castle :)
Still a great trip and the wonderful staff compensate for the shoddy accommodation.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lee_Harrington
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I took my wife here for her 50th Birthday and what a lovely surprise it was,

You arrive at the main gates and enter through the security barrier, drive down the long driveway through the extensive grounds past the villas and turn a corner and there is the Manor, a very inspiring first sight.

We entered through the traditional heavy wooden doors into the porch area where there is a little shop. On through the arch way into the main reception area. They had the Christmas decorations up due to a wedding on the weekend at the request of the bride. It was lovely and warming with the log fire burning and made you feel welcomed. The welcome from the staff was genuine and friendly. We were offered a orientation tour of the hotel which we declined as I had booked afternoon tea (which stops at 5 and it was now 4.30). We were shown up to our room and WOW (room 301 a stateroom). You open the room door only to find that you are in a small entrance hall, to your right you enter into the bedroom, a really spacious room with a four poster and plenty of seating. Into the bathroom OMG a extremely spacious area, a roll top bath in the bay window, his and hers sinks in the dressing area and then a separate shower room as well. All the amenities of a five star hotel are there, bath robes, slippers etc.

Down to our afternoon tea, a very warm welcome from the staff here as well greeting us by our names and we were escorted to our reserved table. After over eating all the lovely food the waiter brought over another slice of cake with a candle in it and wished my wife Happy Birthday.
Dinner that night was first class in the candle lit dinning room, very romantic, The service was fantastic.

Come back to the room to find the bed had been turned down and a couple of hand made fudges were left on the pillow. Also the room had been cleaned.

Breakfast next morning, the cold buffet and cereals on offer are OK, but the cooked selection is very good indeed. If you order the pancakes make sure you are hungry, as they are very good and very very filling.

In the morning we decided to go down to the Adare village, they will drive you down to a side gate and drop you off, there is a phone to call them up and they will come and pick you up again if you wish, but in truth its not that far to walk about 10 -15 mins each way.
After a very light lunch in the village (as still full from breakfast) we headed back to the hotel for a Spa treatment (all part of the package that I had booked). We were allocated two hours each and were able to choose any treatment. I opted only to have a 1 hr massage (which was very good and very relaxing) and gave my wife the other hour and so she had a massage, facial and manicure. She said she felt thoroughly pampered afterwards. Upon arrival back to our room we had a bottle of champagne and chocolate dipped strawberries (also part of the package booked).

That night we had a eight coarse tasting menu dinner and opted for the wine paring to go with it. Each coarse came and we were given a detailed explanation of the meal and the wine to go with it. I could not fault the cooking every thing was beautiful, the flavours were outstanding, well done to all the kitchen staff. At the end of the meal they brought out a birthday cake for my wife, the only issue was that we were too full to try it that night. They did however box it up for us to take home.

On the last morning we decided to do some clay pigeon shooting, this is not run by the Hotel but by someone local. He comes to meet you at the Hotel and then you follow him approx 11km. He was very good and very informative. He talked you through each step. You don't pay for the time but for the shells that you use 35 euro per box.

The cleanliness of the hotel was brilliant and all the staff were outstanding, so helpful. Thanks for such a lovely time and looking forward to staying with you again.

Room Tip: If you can stay in one of the staterooms as they are in the main part of the hotel and are nice and...
1  Thank John O
Reviewed 6 December 2013

So my present wife and I got a deal for 3 nights at Adare Manor. The room was huge and beautiful with a stunning view over the Maigue river and the golf course. The breakfast was a feast of great Irish food but the outstanding aspect of our stay was the staff! The friendliness and pride with which they carried out their jobs was simply the best I have ever encountered -anywhere. From reception and concierge, the waiting, kitchen and restaurant staff - we felt that they were a family willing to make our stay memorable! The succeeded! Cannot recommend more highly!

Room Tip: We were in the "new" wing looking out on a fantastic view! Would recommend!
1  Thank Paddy W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adare
Dromoland Castle Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick
Limerick Strand Hotel
Limerick Strand Hotel
#3 of 20 in Limerick

Been to Adare Manor? Share your experiences!