“A romantic getaway”
Review of Adare Manor

Adare Manor
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Adare
Reviewed 10 September 2008

We had the most exceptional stay at The Adare Manor Hotel and Golf Resort. We celebrated our anniversary by staying in an absolutely beautiful room with a view fit for royalty. Our dinner in the Oak Room was delicious and our table was perfectly situated for an intimate meal. The dessert plate with Happy Anniversary was a special touch that left us smiling ear to ear and your wait staff was terrific. My husband thoroughly enjoyed his round of golf on the fabulously groomed golf course. We have had the most wonderful time at The Adare Manor and look forward to our return trip.
Warm regards,
Sarah Murphy and Thomas Kelleher
Marblehead, Massachusetts USA

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 9 September 2008

Just back from a wonderful stay at Adare Manor. We were on the Sceptre Tours Summer Luxury Package which included airfare, six nights in a three bedroom four bath luxury villa, automatic full size rental car with GPS (easy to program and very handy to have) as well as passes to various local attractions. The villa surpassed our expectations and was extremely large and comfortable for just the two of us. The kitchen is state of the art with electrolux appliances, granite counters, etc. and the bathrooms were spotless, large and never without a full supply of hot water. There were flat screen TVs in all the bedrooms as well as a large one in the living room. There was a lovely patio overlooking the 7th hole of the golf course on which to enjoy an evening glass of wine after a day of touring as well as a conservatory with the same view when the weather wasn't conducive to sitting outdoors. There was also a gas fireplace which added a cozy feeling to a cool, rainy night. The staff couldn't have been nicer. Upon arrival, they let you know that rides to the village for groceries, pubs and restaurants are always available by calling the front desk. After a short nap, we decided to test this out and asked for a ride to the grocery store to pick up supplies. Not only did this lovely young gal, Rosie, come to get us and wait while we shopped---she offered to take our groceries back to our villa and put them away so that we could further tour the village and visit a pub!!!! That was fantastic service!!! We found everyone there to be genuinely kind and friendly---not phony or surface friendly because they work at a five star hotel and have to be. The heritage tour given by Maura, the special events coordinator, was very interesting with a lot of great facts and history about the property and my husband loved the golf course even with the four seasons of weather experienced in one afternoon. What we really liked was the proximity of the property to the village---a 20 min. walk from the villas or a three minute car ride to the village itself or to the pedestrian gate where you can easily park and have access without worrying about finding a public parking spot. There are three great restaurants right outside the pedestrian gate---The Wild Geese; White Sage and Blue Door. We ate at the Wild Geese and Blue Door and found both to be excellent and very casual for dress. Four pubs call the village of Adare home and our favorite was The Collins Pub on the far end of the main street from the Manor. There are also many shops to be found along the Main St. of Adare along with a garden and cultural center. We thoroughly enjoyed having the option of leaving the property with things to do so close. We did tour Dromoland Castle as well (friends stayed here last year for their honeymoon and loved it) and it was lovely but a bit too isolated for our taste. In short, we loved our time at Adare Manor and would urge anyone considering one of the Sceptre Tours or Aer Lingus packages to do it---you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank skygoddess46
Reviewed 28 August 2008

We had booked one of the 4BR 4BA villas on the grounds of the Adare Manor in conjunction with an Aer Lingus vacation package, so we stayed there for a week total and used it as our first 'base' to explore western & southern Ireland. Being 7 gals in total - the 4 bathrooms really sold us!
The villas were built in 2007, so all is in decent, working order. Very clean, very well appointed, and well stocked in the kitchen for all we needed. Beds were very comfortable with down comforters and pillows. Showers were amazing and it was great to have a washer/dryer as well. All detergent was supplied.
The grounds (over 600 acres) are phenominal - walking and exploring them was a real treat - when we were there! The villas are set back and away from the Manor and all else, so it was very quiet.
You can walk into the town of Adare, which is very quaint and charming. For the most part, we drove to our destinations with a rented mini-bus, putting over 1000 miles on it!
Did not use the golf facilities, however they looked beautiful. Definitely a 5 star resort, so along with that are the higher prices for the restaurants and spa on the grounds - neither of which we utilized.

Stayed: July 2008
1  Thank sjp241
Reviewed 22 August 2008

How I wish I would have read the May 25, 2008 review from bluegoldhighlander before I booked a stay for our family.
I was completely underwhelmed with our experience at Adare Manor. I decided to bring my family here instead of Dromoland Castle (which I absolutely love) and realized I had made a huge mistake about 15 minutes after we arrived.

Yes, the outside of the manor is beautiful and the grounds and golf course are fantastic. (The golfing was really the only thing that didn't make the experience a complete waste.) But bluegoldhighlander's review was right on the mark - the hotel has a strangely American feel to it and not in a good way. We were surrounded by American tourists (golfers and their somewhat obnoxious wives) which was not at all the experience I had imagined at an Irish manor. Finding out the hotel is American owned explained a lot, as it is really lacking in 'authentic' charm. Don't even get me started on the rooms. I felt like I was at a condo in Florida. Just knowing how much money we spent for the disappointment it turned out to be makes me feel a tad sick, as this was to be our truly 'decadent' stay while on our trek thru Ireland.

I would highly recommend checking out Dromoland Castle before you book here - you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
2  Thank TrippinLosAngeles
Reviewed 17 August 2008

Repetitive raves about the grounds and manor aside...from the warm welcome by doorman, Jim, and reception host, Bridget, to the dear, friendly advice of bartender Lisa... (and bartender Gary, management-trainee Seamus, and several others whose names escape me at the moment, ) the Adare Manor was perfect! We stayed twice during this trip to Ireland, canceling reservations in Shannon to return to Adare, and were delighted with not only the gorgeous grounds, grand manor, and huge, sumptuous accommodations, but by the genuine spirit of the staff.

We were in Adare to research family roots just south in Dromcollogher, and Lisa was extraordinarily encouraging, knowledgeable, and generous in taking time to explain what we might encounter there as well as giving us advice on how best to approach residents. Thanks to her, that search was an epic adventure that included wonderful, personal acquaintances and experiences. Lisa helped make our trip, truly.

Cheers to Gary, for a perfectly shaken martini, to Seamus who ought to have a future in Adare management, in our opinion.

The only complaint we had-- and it was rather significant-- was the usually slow dining room service. Are you reading this, Adare? We sometimes had to go looking for a server for morning coffee, and even then they wouldn't show at our table. We loved it anyway, and enjoyed delicious dinners there with gorgeous views to the gardens.

Can't wait to return!!!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank aLITTLESpoiled
Reviewed 15 August 2008

The manor for sure is absolutely beautiful. We had a lovely room with a great view over the gardens.
In the afternoon we went for a swim and when we returned to the room it had rained in from a leak in the roof! We had to change rooms at 9pm which was sort of a pain.
The hotel is very impressive and has great views. We had tea and ate in the carriage house and food was always very good. Breakfast is served in a great old room and is delicious.

The only thing I didn´t like is that it was very americanized and I felt like I was somewhere in the States.
Also the bathrooms and for sure the pool area need renovation.

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 July 2008

I have to rate this hotel "above average" because it really is "above average". Its a Victorian Castle in the middle of enormous grounds.

Having read others reviews, I would say most are fair with good and the bad points.

It sticks in the Irish throat the over Americanisation, its really the American owners idea of an Irish castle hotel.So it may well appeal to Americans.

My room was one of the better corner suites. I stayed there out of season and got a deal with a cheap upgrade. The room was large, but "impersonal" and the decor was not well thought out. The room was reached along miles of soulless corridors, with drab lighting.

The restaurant for both breakfast and dinner was fine. You need one of the tables in the outer part with daylight and views. I thought the inner tables were drab. The cooked breakfast was particularly good.

The bar is positively baronial, but with bad lighting at night. You can get a very good afternoon tea here, but I doubt you could manage dinner as well.

The staff were very helpful. The receptionist gave me a "tour" when I arrived. The staff were mainly non-Irish. The only Irishman I came across was the doorman, a very pleasant , cheerly and helpful man. It was rather strange to be given the history of the manor by European staff who had no real idea what it was all about.

Over commercialised, a bit drab in places, American, yes all of those apply. However it was an experience that I enjoyed to stay at Adare Manor, and I would stay again (OK as long as there was an out of season offer!)

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled solo
1  Thank moraira
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adare
Dunraven Arms Hotel
#3 of 20 in Limerick
Absolute Hotel
Absolute Hotel
#1 of 20 in Limerick

Been to Adare Manor? Share your experiences!