“I,m Sorry but we were not overly impressed”

Dunraven Arms Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Adare
Reviewed 12 October 2011

We found this venue to be over-priced for what we could only call average fare. In my line of business I have groups of people to entertain every so often from over seas' and would have dined at this venue reglarly in the past , however, from my last two visits, I left feeling deflated, service took too long, food was not hot like you would expect, but servers were so polite and professional and were so obviously aware that we were impatient during courses. This may have changed in the last two weeks as We have not been back. Sorry!!

Room Tip: Serviced with lifts to each floor
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Anna-Maria O

Reviewed 10 October 2011

stayed for 2 nights for a conference - room was very nice, food was excellent (except for breakfast which was very poor with little choice). The old world ambience is slightly spoiled by the situation on a busy main road.
The free wi-fi is a good thing and there are lots of quiet corners. The bar does get very busy afternoon and evenings with lots of weddings and wakes. Service is friendly and reasonably efficient.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 9 October 2011

My partner and I were on our way back from a medical conference and thought we'd stop here for some lunch. We were both well dressed in suits. The restaurant was quite full but there was only one couple in the bar so we asked for bar food. We were turned away as we weren't residents. The kitchen was churning out food for the restaurant and there was plenty of space in the bar to sit. I can never understand this business decisions. They turned away money and also any potential return business.

Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank Cocoheff
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We stayed in the Dunraven Arms in September last and were absolutely delighted with it. The hotel offers a wonderful combination of olde worlde charm and super but unobtrusive efficiency. There is a special ambience pervading the hotel. Food was excellent. Our bedroom was roomy, quiet with lovely linen. I personally enjoyed the little sitting rooms and gardens. I look forward to a return visit.

Room Tip: a room overlooking the rear garden
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 October 2011

We were disappointed in our stay at the Dunraven Arms Hotel. Granted the hotel is a very convenient location for this charming town, however we both felt that the staff here didn't come close to meeting the expectations created by both their website as well as the price.
We booked a Junior suite, which was a very nice room, however we were not offered help with our bags and the room was a great distance (and difficult to find) from the front desk.
We went downstairs to get a drink from the bar and found utter chaos. The service staff was very young and didn't appear to know what they were doing. After waiting 10 - 15 minutes for service, we finally left. At another time, I called the front desk for ice and they told me to go to the bar to get it (no offer of sending some up to our room?). Once again when I arrived, chaos. I finally got a servers attention and asked for ice for our room and she handed me a glass with ice? I said," How about a bucket of ice?". The look I got back was that of a deer in the headlights! After some time she came back with a water pitcher of ice - not exactly what you'd expect at a 4 star hotel.
The next morning we went down for breakfast, only to find the restaurant trying to sort out service for a tour bus group. Once again service was not good. When the server finally brought us our coffee, he brought a small pot without a coaster and managed to get coffee all over the table cloth.
When I went to get toast, I found a stack of 10 -12 pieces of very lightly cooked toast piled up at the toaster. It appeared the toaster wasn't set correctly and the group from the tour decided to just leave the undesirable slices there. Where's the attention to detail?
Additionally, there were cob webs in the light fixture and lights over the art work were at all different angles.
We wouldn't stay at this property again nor could we recommend it to others.

4  Thank SCRedOne
Reviewed 2 October 2011

We spent two nights in September in the Dunraven Arms. We have stayed there on a number of occasions over the past fifteen years and always found it to be well run, friendly and professional. Extra touches such as management and staff recognising you from previous visits add to the good experience. Food in the dining room or bar is consistently good - no exotic dishes but well prepared and well presented. You will enjoy it here.

1  Thank Peter_S186605
Reviewed 30 September 2011

We had a wonderful night in the Dunraven Arms. The room was comfortable, great clean bathroom, beautiful furniture, great bed. Breakfast buffet was good. The hotel is right in town and has a very homey feeling despite being more upscale. Adare is a beautiful small town with thatched cottages and a big park.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adare
Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel
#1 of 20 in Limerick
The Savoy Hotel
The Savoy Hotel
#4 of 20 in Limerick

Been to Dunraven Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!