“Low grade 3 star at best, not worth the price they charge”

Dunraven Arms Hotel
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Adare
Reviewed 1 August 2014

What can I say....Very disappointing stay in the Dunraven. Having read mixed reviews before I wish I'd paid more attention to poor reviews. Firstly it is definitely NOT 4 star standard, I expected old world charm but instead it's old world grubby. Some rooms are located a very long walk away from reception so maybe ask for a room near front if you don't want a long walk every time you want to go back to your room, bringing luggage to room was a nightmare, seen a porter help "some guests" and not others which was very annoying. I requested a change of room as mine was too far to walk to everytime, I got another room near the front and my view was a bunch of trees & a wall, room was dark & miserable and windows in it were tiny, there was no big open window to let fresh air in at all. I wasn't happy but wasn't going to ask to change rooms a third time, bathroom appeared to have been recently done up so I was happy with that. There's a lot of things that need updating if they continue to charge the prices they are charging, the phone in room looks about 30 years old & is dirty looking. Mirror on dressing table was all marked. Windows had mould along them. Carpet was stained, walls were marked.

Breakfast was extremely disappointing just standard cereal, fruits, irish breakfast type buffet. I was told I could "order any type of eggs I wanted & porridge & pancakes" so day 1 I tried the porridge, asked for creamy porridge, instead I got thick & lumpy. Day 2 I tried the pancakes & they were like leather, they couldn't be eaten, so I stuck with a bowl of Rice Krispies, same on day 3, not what I expect to pay €100/€130 a night for! Every other 4 star hotel I've stayed in there's been a brilliant selection & breakfast is cooked to order not thrown into hot plates. Dinner in the evening wasn't much better, beef was over cooked & dessert selection was poor, looking around dining room, chairs were filthy at the back, cob webs and scruffy walls. On 2nd evening an earwig was strolling up the wall. Really????!!!

Bottles of water are left in room each morning by housekeeping but nothing left day before check out, same with towels, only 1 set left day before check out, whereas 2 sets every other day.

On checkout we were told we had to pay for wine, to which they were told we don't drink so no wine was ordered & we weren't believed, had to stand waiting while they went "checking" and then came back asking if we were with such & such and when we said no then we were believed, a bit annoying!

All in all, I wouldn't stay in this hotel again, it's disappointing from the minute you walk in the door, I expected for 4 star to walk into a quaint clean hotel instead its the opposite,the only good thing about this hotel is the fresh orange juice at breakfast!!!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
6  Thank Jill-i2013
Write a ReviewReviews (1,141)

Reviewed 1 August 2014

One of our favourite hotels and locations in Ireland.
Great food and service :) John Shovlin is professional and friendly. Adare is a pretty village. The milk market and Hunt Museum are worth visiting. Nice boutiques in Adare and Newcastle West. Coast road from Limerick to Foynes has good views.
Breakfast and dinner are very well made in Dunraven Arms hotel. We stay in this hotel, two or three times a year.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank quinn_aisling
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

Unprepossessing on arrival, this hotel snuggles it's way into your affections by dint of its eclectic mix of old and new, superb friendly but efficient service and excellent food.

Our spacious room had comfy beds, crisp linen and a lovely aspect over the garden. There was a walk-in dressing room with hairdryer, trouser press and hanging space.

We had dinner in the Maigue restaurant which featured superb fresh local produce served with a perfect blend of humour and efficiency.

A charming feature of the hotel wasthe small glazed sitting rooms to be found around the building with dual access from inside and out.

The team at the Dunraven are on top of their game and it shows.

Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank AnBealBocht
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We stayed 3 nights and every aspect of the hotel's offering was very good - spacious room tastefully decorated and furnished, excellent breakfasts and dinner(once), good, friendly service, good pool.
We thoroughly enjoyed staying here and would definitely go back.
Adare needs a by pass as traffic can be very busy in the daytime in the street along the front of the hotel - not really a problem to a resident but mars visit to the village.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back away from the main street.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank snellsnook
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We celebrated our wedding here at The Dunraven in May, 2014. We were absolutely blown away by our wedding experience at the hotel. Nothing was a problem, everything we requested just happened, and the day itself just flowed. Louis Murphy and his staff are impeccable in the service they provide. This hotel offers warm and friendly service, perfectly trained bar and restaurant staff and spectacular surroundings.

When we arrived at the hotel, the staff were ready with Champagne, Homemade Biscuits, Tea and Coffee. The weather was the only thing that was not on our side but that certainly did not stop us having the best day of our lives.

The reception room was beautiful and bright with stunning manicured gardens.

It's been 2 months and our guests are still complimenting about how good the meal was. I was amazed at how fast everyone was served. The Roast Rib of beef being the best I've ever eaten - no exaggeration!! Starters were divine as was dessert- The Hazelnut Parfait. The staff were always on hand to offer extra servings of meat or vegetables The serving staff were friendly, helpful and attentive. Louis, and the restaurant Manager were there for us at all times, we felt so well taken care of.

We danced the night away and eventually retired to the bridal suite which was so comfortable!

The breakfast the next morning had everything you could think of.

We would like to thank Louis and all the staff at The Dunraven for all your hard work, time in ensuring that we had the most amazing day.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Harkin1985
Reviewed 29 July 2014

What more can I say. This hotel is always a pleasure to stay in. I had my Wedding Reception in this hotel 12 years ago and fell in love with it then. We stayed in the hotel again last weekend and the service is just as fabulous as it was when we got married. Our kids loved the pool and the rooms are out of this world. The staff give you the impression of swan like grace. They are attentive, polite and manage to make you feel relaxed. Yet to run a hotel this well means that they must work incredibly hard behind the scenes. The food is fabulous and well presented. Another great thing about this hotel is that is you are there with family and friends, they have a number of well appointed living rooms around the hotel that your group can use.

I can hardly wait to go again.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank 42Peter1970
Reviewed 29 July 2014

Adare itself was not what I had hoped it would be. It's all traffic and one tiny main street. It's like a stage set of a Towne. The Dunraven Arms was an OK hotel. Quirky and charming in part, but in need of some improvement. The room was large and we overlooked a lovely garden. But the bed was hard with no real mattress pad and the hotel strangely does not provide conditioner or lotion. Annoying. Breakfast was quite nice.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the garden in back - front rooms noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Susan L
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adare
Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick
Dromoland Castle Hotel
Dromoland Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus

Been to Dunraven Arms Hotel? Share your experiences!