“family stay at woodlands hotel adare”

Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Adare
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 3 November 2011

myself & husband & our two children stayed at this hotel for two nights 1st & 2nd of november 2011 we had a lovely experience the decor may be a bit dated as i read in other reviews but the staff are so friendly and helpful and you feel so welcome from the moment you arrive our room was not ready our own fault i might add as we arrived early but the room was made ready as quick as possible for us.we did hav a slight problem with the sofa bed which i brought to the attention of the receptionist on duty and it was dealt with asap we found the food lovely not overpriced we all loved it this is a family run hotel and therefore very family oriented will definetaly stay again if down that direction and would recommend it to other families. Keep up the good work thanks for a lovely stay

Room Tip: tell reception when booking and they will cater for you
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,736)

Reviewed 1 November 2011

I had stayed in this hotel for a wedding about 10 years ago and the stay was favourable so I was looking forward to spending a night there with my husband over the bank holiday weekend but we were sadly disappointed. First impressions of the hotel were that the interior decor was very shabby, the seats in reception were worn and looked stained and this carried on through out the rest of the hotel, in fact I think it was the same as it was 10 years ago so definately needs a spruce up. The room to be fair was fine except for the step up and down to the bathroom, there was a safety light but unfortunately this was so bright it was interrupting our sleep, my husband ended up trying to cover it up to darken the room. The food in Timmy Mac's was very unappetising, while the portion size was good, the taste and presentation were severely lacking. I had the seafood taglitelle and it looked like it had just been thrown into the bowl, my husband was looking forward to "pan fried" bangers & mash but "deep fried" was more like it, the sausages were dripping in grease. Breakfast was no better, you could smell the grease before we got to the bistro. To cap it all off on checking out we were overcharged and when my husband pointed out that we had already paid a deposit online the receptionist started arguing with him, telling him he was wrong. She then went off to check and came back to say he was correct..........that was the apology!
Before this visit I would always have given a positive account of the hotel but I have to say I won't be doing so in future.

1  Thank StephWalsh
Reviewed 30 October 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights in October on a special spa package. We specifically requested a room away from the function room after reading other trip advisor reviews regarding the number of weddings and functions that take place here. Our request was granted - think we literally had the room the furthest away which suited us perfectly, especially as they also upgraded us to an extra large room with a whirlpool bath! The hotel is clean but very dated and tired, so do not expect luxury - the carpets and some of the furniture could do with replacing. The bed was exceptionally comfortable, with down duvet and mattress topper, for a great night’s sleep. Breakfast served in Timmy Macs Bistro was average but perfectly edible - standard spread of cereals, croissants and cooked breakfast. Staff were friendly and helpful throughout. There is a leisure centre for guests, with pool, jacuzzi, sauna, steam room and gym.

However the real gem here is the onsite Revas Spa which is a peaceful and luxurious retreat –very new, exceptionally clean, wonderful staff. We spent an hour in the thermal suite pampering ourselves with sauna, steam room, tropical showers, outdoor whirlpool.......followed by a 1 hour Swedish full body massage.......then chilled out with fruit and smoothies in the relaxation area.

Opting for the spa package made our stay worthwhile – without it the hotel would be distinctly average and a little overpriced.

Room Tip: If you are not attending a function there and want peace and quiet request a room away from the func...
Reviewed 29 October 2011

I first visited this hotel for a friends wedding 12 years ago and fell
in love with the warm atmosphere and everything else about the place.
So much so that my husband and I had the reception for our own wedding at his hotel on the 7th of November 2003. The last visit was for another friends wedding and as usual the
food was fantastic (as always, If i could just stop eating), the bed
was comfie (for what i saw of it!) and the staff were friendly.
I so look forward to the next invitation I get to a wedding at this
hotel. As I said to my husband on the way home....if i ever get
married again the reception will be at the Woodlands again!

Reviewed 27 October 2011

I stayed here with two friends on 14th October. Having checked if there was a wedding booked in, I discovered that there is a wedding at this hotel practically every weekend night of the year.
The fact that there was a wedding meant that the restuarant was closed, and we had to make do with Timmy Mac's, an over-decorated "oirish" restaurant. Food was only Ok, but the atmosphere was chilly, certainly not cosy!!
Other reviews mentioned the staff friendliness. Some were, but the reception staff member was unfriendly. When you stay at an Irish family-run hotel you expect to be served by Irish staff, but I think I only met one.
After the meal the bar was full due to a function and the lobby seating area was taken up by the wedding group overflow. There was nowhere for the hotel guests to sit and enjoy a quiet drink and chat. Reception suggested we go to our room!!
As for the decor of the hotel - well it leaves a lot to be desired. It gives the impression that wings were added as required; you have to walk along corridors, around corners and up stairs. We weren't offered a lift, but we didn't ask for one. I didn't see any sign of one though, and had to carry my three bags up a flight of stairs. Room furnishings are utilitarian, lots of beauty board/MDF, and carpets everywhere. Lighting in the bedroom and bathroom was poor over the mirrors.
There are three hotels in Adare and this is rated No 3 on Tripadvisor. If you get a good deal and your expectations are not too high, go for it.
We took a spa-overnight deal and upgraded to a suite, as there were three of us. We paid over €200 each which was far too high a price for the quality of the stay.
I must add that the Revas spa was excellent.The ambience was relaxing and comfortable. The outdoor jacuzzi was well presented. The massage was excellent and the relaxation suite was beautiful.
The pool is very good, lots of differnt areas including a decent lane.
Maybe mid-week this hotel is better, but I wouldn't recommend it on a busy weekend.

Room Tip: Check that you won't have to take the stairs. You won't be asked before you book!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank magscork
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Just back from a few days at the Woodlands after a family wedding. Really enjoyed the stay at the hotel. I think the thing that makes the Woodlands is the staff and management at the hotel who are very friendly and eager to please. The attention to detail and all the little extras over the course of the wedding are what make the Woodlands.

The leisure centre is also really nice-with a lovely relaxing swimming pool. Whilst I didn't go to Revas spa this trip, I was there on another occassion and its one of the most relaxing spas I've been too.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 October 2011

From the moment we drove onto the property we were greeted by friendly, helpful staff. i love the swimming pool and workout gym and used it every day. Rivas Spa was great and the massage was just what I needed after four straight days of golf (and pints of Guiness!!!). Restaurant was fantastic (Timmy Mac's) and the pub was really cool too! Have a drink with Dick Fitzgerald.....what a great story teller.
Looking forward to our next trip back!

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adare
Dunraven Arms Hotel
Bunratty Castle Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bunratty
No. 1 Pery Square Hotel & Spa
Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Limerick

Been to Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel? Share your experiences!