“Highly recommended for top class spa break”

Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Adare
GreenLeadersBronze level
Ireland
“Highly recommended for top class spa break”
Reviewed 27 February 2009

Stayed here for the weekend and absolutely loved it. The spa is one of the best I have ever been to - I believe the owners recently spent a couple of million on a complete overhaul and I have to say it was money well spent!. Everything about it from the atmosphere, staff and the treatment itself was absolutely perfect. Thoroughly enjoyed it and was made feel very relaxed and welcome.
The hotel itself is lovely too, rooms spotless clean and very spacious. The bed was the most comfortable bed I've ever slept in!.
We ate in the hotels two restaurants. One is timmy macs bistro- a casual style restaurant with real home made tasting food. The focal point is a huge old style fire/range which was just lovely and created a cosy atmosphere. The other is The Brennan Room which is a more formal dining experience. Could not fault the food in either of the restaurants - very very nice with great service and reasonable prices.
I have to give a special mention to the staff who were so friendly and would go out of their way to accomodate you.
Overall I was extremely pleased with my stay and the hotel totally exceeded my expectations of a family run three star hotel!.
One tiny snag was outside of the reception area on the way to the bedrooms, could do with a lick of paint on the walls or tidying up - just thought they were slightly shabby towards the rest of the hotel. Not something that would put you off and probably wouldn't even be picked up on by most people but if they could correct that small detail, the hotel would be just perfect!

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
woodlandsadare, Owner at Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2009
Many thanks for your very kind review. The team here in Fitzgeralds
Woodlands House Hotel very much appreciate you taking the time to give us
such fantastic feedback.

Just to let you know that we recently completed the painting of our lobby
area so hopefully on your next visit you will see our new gleaming foyer.

As a thank you for your kind words, we would be delighted to offer you a
complimentary upgrade on your next visit. Please do not hesitate to
contact me directly to arrange the same.

We look forward to your next visit.

Elaina Fitzgerald and the team in Fitzgeralds Woodlands House Hotel

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
Ireland
Reviewed 25 February 2009

We booked the Woodlands for our wedding reception as we had been to other weddings and functions in the hotel and were very pleased. To be honest we didn't even look at another hotel this was the one we both wanted.

From when we first met with the Fitzgeralds in the planning of the reception we were both extremely happy, the function room is big and could accomodate our large wedding number with no problems. Any time we wanted to query something or change something for the reception there was no problem and we were dealt with very efficently. The huge variety for the drinks reception and the dinner menu was brilliant, our only problem was choosing what we wanted!!

All of our guests were delighted with the hotel, reception especially the food they are all still talking about the fantastic service and how hot and fresh the food was. A good number of our wedding party stayed in the hotel and all were pleased with bedrooms and breakfast although none got to use the new spa or leisure facilities alot spoke about how good they both looked.

We would like to thank the Fitzgerald family and their staff for giving us the most fantastic day, everything went perfect and we had no worries on the day of the wedding as we knew we were in good hands. We would both highly recommend The Woodlands as a wedding venue or any family or social event. If we had to do it all again there is no where else that we would rather have our reception.

Thanks for everything!!

• Stayed January 2009
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 12 January 2009

My brother bought me a voucher to stay at the Woodlands House hotel so myself and my girlfriend could have a break before Christmas. We recently had a baby and have not had any time to ourselves so it was a real treat to get away. Our check in was quick and efficient, the receptionists were all really friendly and we had several conversations with them during our stay. The bedroom was a good size and the highlight of the stay was the bed. One of the receptionists told me they use feather mattress toppers and that is what makes the bed so comfortable. To my surprise the hotel actually sell them as well because so many people commented about the beds. We ate in the Timmy Macs bistro which was really cool. It is like an old cottage style restaurant with a massive big fireplace burning wood. Very unusual and really homely feel, there were lots of pictures and artefacts on the mantle. We both had steak which was tender and perfectly cooked rare like we asked. The waiter told us all the beef is Irish Angus. Overall a very friendly hotel with great food and seriously comfortable beds.

• Liked — Great beds!
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
Dublin
Reviewed 2 January 2009

I stayed in Woodlands for New Years Eve and it was the poorest hotel experience of my life! I feel I am justified in writing this review as I outlined the reception manager that I would do so following what I feel was downright poor customer service.

In my opinion, the fundamentals of any hotel room are warmth, electricity and hot water. We had NONE of these at one point or another in our short stay!

On arrival we were told that we had been "upgraded" to an executive suite. The suite consisted of a sizable bedroom with nice comfortable bed and a plasma screen. The room was clean, but completely dated. I could live with the 1960's décor but the carpet stains were a little off putting as were the broken lamps beside the bed that toppled onto the floor when you touched them. We had an adjoining room that was totally empty –it's purpose I am not quite sure of given that the room in its entirety was fairly large it was extremely cold. The radiators were off when we arrived giving me the impression that the room is not used much, even when we turned the radiators on the room remained quite cold. We rang reception for a heater and eventually got it the second time we called. That remedied the heat situation somewhat. We were told that the hotel was fully booked so didn't bother to ask for a room change. As it was only for one night we thought we could grin and bear it.

The bathroom was in a word dilapidated. The sinks and bath were old and overall the bathroom was decrepit, the tiles were cracking away from the bath, the toilet seat was in a poor state and it was just grubby. Despite my reservations, I decided to take a shower – there was no water pressure and no hot water. Having just come back from the pool I really wanted take a hot shower. We called reception and maintenance arrived fairly soon after but by which time I had gone next door to my friend's room to take a shower. We had maintenance knock on our door about 5 times throughout our stay and our shower was not fixed. The situation was not resolved and we still had no hot water the next morning. My friend's room had no towels and she was told (having called reception whilst her daughter was in the shower) that she would have to wait for them to be taken out of the dryer. Having small children with us we went back to our rooms early. The electricity proceeded to go on and off all night. We could not watch TV and the heater kept going off. We left the hotel the following morning with no shower and still no electricity.

To call this "executive" or a "suite" is laughable. Absolutely ludicrous. Our Friends normal rooms were slightly more modern but they had the same problems with water and electricity. The cost of a room in this hotel or any hotel is not warranted when you do not have the basics such as warmth and electricity. I actually don't know what I paid for!

On check out - the fact that the reception manager proceeded to charge us full price having personally been to our room to "fix" the shower and electricity situation was in my opinion, quite discourteous. When I brought this to her attention she went into a back room and said she was reducing the price of the room by 20 euro – an insult. We were prepared to accept that the hotel was fully booked, perhaps overloaded and that these were once off events but not at our cost. I am not the type of person to look for discount but I was actually reluctant to pay this hotel full price. I was appalled by the reception manager's lack of recognition that what we had experienced was unacceptable. I understand that these things happen but I should have been expected to pay for facilities I absolutely did not avail of. My frustration is a result of the attitude and lack of empathy that was exhibited at the front desk that morning. We were offered a free night in the hotel as compensation but as I outlined to the reception manager, I would never set foot in the hotel again. There were no words to appease us or apologise for the inconvenience we had experienced, she did not apologise for our New Years Eve ending up completely miserable as a result of the events. When I asked to speak to a manager I was told there wasn't one on site and basically there was nothing else she could do. I dont know who she consulted in the back room but I don't accept this as adequate customer service - there was no suggestion that the manager would call us when he/she was onsite. Not wanting to make a scene I decided to leave it at that but was extremely unhappy. We were given the free night voucher anyway and to add insult to injury she had crossed off the evening meal part. So in theory, our extra nights stay is going to cost them nothing! Not that I will be returning.

It must be said that the majority of the staff were extremely helpful, the staff at the leisure centre and front desk were particularly friendly. The leisure centre facilities were good and I have no complaints about the food, breakfast was quite good and plentiful. I believe the intention to provide good service is there it's just such a shame that the standard and age of the accommodation completely takes away from that. Overall the hotel is outdated, extremely cold and badly in need of renovation. The photos on the internet are a complete misrepresentation. I would not recommend this hotel to anybody and I will not be returning.

• Liked — leaving it
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled with friends
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
woodlandsadare, Owner at Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2009
Dear Guest

Many thanks for taking the time to give us more feedback in relation to your stay with us.

We are very sorry that your room facilities were not to your satisfaction. Since your stay, we have refurbished your allocated room as part of our ongoing refurbishment process.

I am also sorry that you found your room to be cold. Having checked the temperature guages & found them to be at the standard required, we then supplied extra heaters to your room. Unfortunately, it would appear that one of the heaters tripped the switches in your room which rendered some of the electrical appliances non functional. Our maintenance team endeavoured to identify the source of the problem during the access that they could get to your room. We are sorry that this continued effort also seemed to cause dissatisfaction as we genuinely were trying to decipher the cause so that we would address the same. After much investigation on the morning of your departure, we learned that there was a difficulty with the circulating pump which would have affected the water pressure and heat level in a couple of rooms located near to yours. We would have been delighted to change your room had you made us aware of the extent of the issues on your evening of arrival or at any other stage prior to checking out from our hotel.

When you checked out , it is fair to say that our team did not understand the extent of the issues that you encountered. Therefore, it is fair to say that this attempt to remedy the same were inadequate. When they realised the same, they furnished you with a voucher for a compleimntary nights accommodation with breakfast in the hope that you would see it in your heart to forgive us & to make a return visit to see the award winning hospitality that we endeavour to provide to all of our guests. In the event that you would prefer not to return, we would ask you to consider our sister hotel, Fitzgeralds Vienna Woods Hotel in Cork where you may find your faith in our hospitality restored.

Dublin
Reviewed 30 December 2008

Sorry but I found my stay in the Woodlands rather depressing. I was staying a Friday night so was charged what I think was a lot for a hotel of this grade especially at this time of year. I found the lighting throughout the hotel rather dreary and did not feel at all comforted in my room. I was in what is described as a superior room, but it did not feel superior to me. The view from my window was of the bins which I noticed as I tried to close the window in my room which had been left open - not a good idea in December. The window was difficult to close and it took some time and effort before I managed it, by which time my room was freezing. I tried to turn on the TV but the on-off button was missing - if I had a TV like this one at home I would have thrown it out long ago! When I did manage to get it on (by sticking something into the hole) there were only three channels working. I gave up on that and decided to have a bath. The lighting was just awful in the bathroom which just depressed me further. The towels were as hard as a hob - no need for an exfoliater! The taps and showerhead all need replacing and the grouting around the bath was turning a nice brown colour. No complaints on the food side and my bed was certainly very comfortable. Just as well as I spent a considerable time awake. It was lashing rain and there was a constant dripping noise of water onto the bins below my window throughout the night. I managed only a couple of hours sleep and then decided on a shower. The shower curtain was light and clearly did not have a leaded hem so it kept sticking to me while I was trying to have a shower - creepy! If I had to stay here again I would try a higher grade room even at the inflated price.

• Liked — The feather mattress topper
  • Disliked — The bathroom
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
Many thanks for your feedback in relation to your recent stay with us in
Fitzgeralds Woodlands House Hotel.

We are truely sorry that you were dissatisfied with your stay with us.

In relation to your comments regarding the level of lighting in the hotel, we were recently chosen as participants in a programme for green hotel keeping . As a result of this, there were a number of experiments
with the level of lighting in the hotel. This has since been standardised
which we hope should resolve the issue raised by you whilst keeping in
line with our green responsibilities.

You are very correct about the positioning of the bins. Again this formed
part of the green programme to make recycling more accessible to our team
of employees. We have since moved the same as a result of your feedback.

We have recently replaced some of our televisions with flat screens. In
addition, we have retrained our team in the importance of presetting the
television channels as appropriate as well as the lighting settings.

We have also completely changed all of our linen in the hotel to include
our legendary mattress toppers, our 300 Thread Count bed linen & our
600gsm towels.

We hope that these initiatives will render your future stays more pleasurable.

As a gesture of goodwill for your feedback & for the learning opportunity
presented to us, I would like to offer you a complimentary upgrade on
your next visit. Please do not heistate to contact me directly when you
would like to avail of this opportunity.

We look forward to hearing from you.

waterford
Reviewed 21 November 2008

I booked this hotel on the recomendation of my son and daughter in law, who had given us a voucher.I booked a superior room because they had stayed there and said it was excellent.
When I received the confirmation i told the Woodlands that i had a voucher to put towards the cost plus We wanted to use the spa as the voucher covered €100 for spa treatments. When I tried to book the spa 4 days before we arrived . it was booked up.
When we got to the hotel on the Saturday we had to wait for our room and when we were given the room it was a box room. I complained and was told it was a 'Deluxe' room eventually we were given a bigger room but no way was it a superior room. I complained in writing when we came home and was told basically tough luck there was nothing they were going to do. Our stay at the Woodlands in Adare was probably the worst stay in a hotel we ever had.
If anyone has vouchers please do not tell this hotel until you are settling your bill

• Liked — I was too upset to like anything about the accomodation
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
FITZGERALDSADARE, Owner & Reservations Manager at Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 December 2008
Many thanks for your comments.

I would like to take this opportunity to address the issues highlighted in this review

The particular reservation was made on our website. Subsequently an email was sent by the guest advising that they wished to redeem a voucher. As per our previous correspondence to the guest, many attempts were made by phone to contact them directly in order to attain the exact details of the voucher. However, the guest did not seem to be able to return any of the messages. Therefore email was the only means of communication available to us to clarify & discuss the entitlements of the voucher and the guest’s forthcoming stay with us.

Given our inability to correspond with the guest regarding their stay, we allocated one of our Deluxe Rooms as is standard procedure for complimentary vouchers. Whilst the guests’ preference was for a superior room, had the guest been available to discuss this in advance of their stay we would have been delighted to upgrade their room. This also could have been arranged had the guest responded to our subsequent letter of confirmation which clearly indicated that the room booked for the stay was a deluxe room.

In relation to Revas Spa, the confirmation letter states that we do advise that bookings for Revas Spa are made well in advance of arrival as it is extremely popular amongst our guests. We are sorry that the guest was unable to avail of Revas fantastic facilities.

I, the Reservations Manager, dealt with the guest personally on check in and was disappointed that it was inferred that they were waiting for their room. We did have a wedding party arriving at the same time. However, all guests were dealt with in a timely fashion by our three receptionists on duty. I am also surprised that a reference was made to the room as a box room given that it is almost 22m2 in size and its has a sofa area which is certainly not a feature of a box room.

The guest called to reception to advise us of their dissatisfaction with the initial room allocated and the call was directed to me. I listened to the grievance and also advised that I had made several attempts to contact via phone in addition to speaking with the guest’s husband but to no avail. I reiterated that I had sent the confirmation letter advising the details of the reservation. After much discussion on the phone I advised that the hotel was full on the night in question and that I would endeavour to upgrade the room to a Superior room with our compliments. I subsequently arranged for the guest to be moved to one of our superior rooms which I felt had resolved the issue.

Fitzgerald Woodlands House Hotel is a family run business and our ethos is built on a never say no policy, thus ensuring that our guests have a stay to remember which I feel was demonstrated by the complimentary upgrade we afforded following their grievance. In terms of learning, we now have a policy whereby we offer all of our guests on a voucher the opportunity to upgrade at an additional fee.

On another note, the complimentary gift voucher that was issued was given in support of a school’s fundraising programme. We issue in excess of two complimentary vouchers per week which clearly demonstrates our willingness to support good causes. We certainly would not be issuing the same if we did not want to welcome prizewinning guests.

We understand that the guest felt their stay was spoilt due to the fact that the preferred room was not allocated on arrival. However, this could have been avoided had my messages been returned or had the confirmation letter been read in full in advance of arrival. Given these circumstances, we did make the necessary amendments as soon we were aware of the guests’ dissatisfaction with a complimentary upgrade to a Superior Room. I feel that it is unfair to suggest that we single out guests who have vouchers as we will always do everything in our power to make ones stay as enjoyable as possible irrespective of the source of their reservation. This is part of our family ethos and the bedrock for building our very successful and welcoming hotel over the last 25 years.
Va Beach
Reviewed 21 October 2008

This was a great hotel, just off of N21 and about 5 miles to Adare village. The room was very large, and had an iron and hair dryer available. Bed was the most comfortable out of all our hotels in Ireland.

Timmy Mac's restaurant is great...looks a little country-kitsch, but the food is wonderful. The adjacent bar was busy the whole night, as there was a wedding reception ALL night (over 7 hours!). Had a lot of fun people-watching.

Note -- while Adare is a tiny village, parking can be hard to find on the weekend. We actually parked in front of an apartment on a side road.

• Liked — The bed and food
  • Disliked — No fan in bathroom...gets very steamy
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adare
Dunraven Arms Hotel
#2 of 2 in Bunratty
Dromoland Castle Hotel
Dromoland Castle Hotel
#1 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus

Been to Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel? Share your experiences!