We stayed in the Woodlands while attending a wedding in another hotel in Adare. Given that it was over Christmas we chose to stay overnight with other friends who were attending the wedding rather than attempt to get a taxi to the far side of Limerick City.............I wish I had just sat it out for a cab and slept in my own bed.
We arrived after the cermony to be told our room was not ready. We could see it was busy time of year as the Limerick Races were on and a wedding the next day in the hotel so we were not put out by this and the receptionist was very pleasant. However when we did get our room it stank of smoke (we would never request a smoking room) and there were no towels which I discovered after using the facilites and washing my hands, there was not even paper tissues. When I tried to call down for towels the phone did not work! My partner went to reception and informed them of the difficulty to be told that there was a delay with the cleaners! I think that this is unacceptable every hotel manages to plan ahead even at Christmas to ensure that there is full service available. By the time I had freshed up with baby wipes I had in my washbag and was leaving the room the towels arrived.
The communal areas of the hotel are very antiquated and in need of a coat of paint/varnish etc..
Our ensuite bathroom was tiny and the shower curtain stuck to one when showering.
We returned to the hotel at approx 2am looking forward to a good sleep however this did not happen! I am 5ft 9 and my partner 6ft 3 and both of our feet were hanging out of the bed! we had a giggle about this until we tried to get comfortable in the bed which was unbeliveable soft and badly sprung and we both wound up rolling down into the middle of the bed. Between that and the stink of smoke I did not sleep a wink.
I decided that I was so dissatisfed with the stay that I would skip breakfast and just have it at home but on second thoughts I went down so my partner was not a lone..........I still had breakfast at home as there was nothing left (depite there being another 35 mins left until last call for breakfast) other than stodge (ie greasy sausages etc,...) there was no fruit or yougurt etc... I had tea and a bread roll. There was cereal but I figured there was no point in trying to ask a staff member to get a hold of some soya or rice milk for me.
On a whole while our room was very cheap we could have paid the same for really nice B&B or a cab home and have slept in my smoke free zone house and kingsize memory foam mattress and had good old porridge for brekkie.
I have read a lot of the reviews for this hotel out of interest and it would appear that this hotel specialises in weddings and I am glad to see that several brides have written very complimentary reviews. As a recently engaged bride to be I would hate to think that one of my guests would have the experience that we had at the Woodlands and I will be choosing a venue very carefully.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Situated at the edge of the beautifully, quaint village of Adare, Co. Limerick, the Fitzgeralds Woodlands House Hotel in Limerick, is owned and managed by the Fitzgerald Family. As a member of Irish Country Hotels, it is part of the first hotel group to be received Guaranteed Irish membership. The hotel features the Fáilte Ireland Award Winning, Revas Spa, one of the most popular Spa Hotels in Limerick, and a fully equipped gym and leisure centre.The hotel is ideal for leisure breaks in Ireland, convenient for conference meetings and not to mention a stunning venue for your wedding. Join us and let our family look after yours. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Agoda, Travel Republic (UK), Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fitzgeralds Woodlands Hotel
- Fitzgeralds Woodlands Adare