“Never Again!” 2 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersBronze level
Limerick
“Never Again!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2010

We stayed in the Woodlands while attending a wedding in another hotel in Adare. Given that it was over Christmas we chose to stay overnight with other friends who were attending the wedding rather than attempt to get a taxi to the far side of Limerick City.............I wish I had just sat it out for a cab and slept in my own bed.

We arrived after the cermony to be told our room was not ready. We could see it was busy time of year as the Limerick Races were on and a wedding the next day in the hotel so we were not put out by this and the receptionist was very pleasant. However when we did get our room it stank of smoke (we would never request a smoking room) and there were no towels which I discovered after using the facilites and washing my hands, there was not even paper tissues. When I tried to call down for towels the phone did not work! My partner went to reception and informed them of the difficulty to be told that there was a delay with the cleaners! I think that this is unacceptable every hotel manages to plan ahead even at Christmas to ensure that there is full service available. By the time I had freshed up with baby wipes I had in my washbag and was leaving the room the towels arrived.

The communal areas of the hotel are very antiquated and in need of a coat of paint/varnish etc..

Our ensuite bathroom was tiny and the shower curtain stuck to one when showering.

We returned to the hotel at approx 2am looking forward to a good sleep however this did not happen! I am 5ft 9 and my partner 6ft 3 and both of our feet were hanging out of the bed! we had a giggle about this until we tried to get comfortable in the bed which was unbeliveable soft and badly sprung and we both wound up rolling down into the middle of the bed. Between that and the stink of smoke I did not sleep a wink.

I decided that I was so dissatisfed with the stay that I would skip breakfast and just have it at home but on second thoughts I went down so my partner was not a lone..........I still had breakfast at home as there was nothing left (depite there being another 35 mins left until last call for breakfast) other than stodge (ie greasy sausages etc,...) there was no fruit or yougurt etc... I had tea and a bread roll. There was cereal but I figured there was no point in trying to ask a staff member to get a hold of some soya or rice milk for me.

On a whole while our room was very cheap we could have paid the same for really nice B&B or a cab home and have slept in my smoke free zone house and kingsize memory foam mattress and had good old porridge for brekkie.

I have read a lot of the reviews for this hotel out of interest and it would appear that this hotel specialises in weddings and I am glad to see that several brides have written very complimentary reviews. As a recently engaged bride to be I would hate to think that one of my guests would have the experience that we had at the Woodlands and I will be choosing a venue very carefully.

• 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
woodlandsadare, Proprietor at Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel, responded to this review, 8 January 2010
Many thanks for taking the time to submit your review to tripadvisor. We would have appreciated the opportunity to reply to you in person. However, we are thankful for the learning opportunities afforded by your comments. Clearly, some of the issues that you encountered are at the high standards espoused by our hotel.

I was suprised to learn of your dissatisfaction with our beds. Each of our beds have been fitted with a 10cm high goose down mattress topper which has resulted in rave reviews of our hotel's sleep experience. We are sorry that this was not to your satisfaction and I assure you that we would have removed the same had we been made aware that it was not suitable for you. To be honest, this is the first time that I have personally been made aware of a guest not liking our legendary mattress toppers but I certainly will take it on board with all of the other feedback that we receive from all of our patrons.

In relation to your room, we always accommodate guests according to their smoking or non smoking preferences. Sometimes, we have late offers available or at low rates where the room type is not specified so this may have resulted in you being allocated a room that was not according to your preference. Had we been made aware of this, we would have endeavoured to change your room type as appropriate.

There is no excuse for the towels not being provided in your room on arrival. In the light of your feedback, I have addressed this with our housekeeping team to ensure that this does not occur again.

We did experience over the Christmas period a difficulty with the phones in some of our bedrooms which we were not in a position to fix. We are genuinely sorry for the inconvenience caused to you and your partner for the same.

We are sorry that our breakfast buffet was also unsatisfactory for you. We provide an extensive range of breakfast dishes including some that cater for special dietary needs and healthy options. Again, we are monitoring the same very closely as it is of great importance to us that each of our guests' experience is a positive one and according to the high standards esposued by our team.

Since our hotel's establishment over 27 years ago, we have worked very diligently in building up a reputation for excellence. We are thankful for your feedback as this certainly afford us many opportunities for learning and continuing our wonderful success story.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (211)
ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2010

Stayed recently two nights in this hotel and had the best nights sleep ever. I requested anti allergy pillows, which were supplied and all our other requests, ie iron, extra lamp etc were catered to immediately. Buzzing hotel yet the noise did not permiate the rooms. Breakfast was excellent and well presented.Would highly recommend.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your very kind words. The team here in Fitzgeralds Woodlands House Hotel very much appreciate the same.

On your next visit, please make sure to contact me directly in advance of arrival so that I can say an extra thank you in person.

Elaina
efitzgerald@woodlands-hotel.ie
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2009

We just had our wedding reception at the Woodlands and it was fantastic!! From the first visit meeting with David we were given the VIP treatment. The staff members are so helpful and their attention to detail is second to none. We can’t wait to celebrate our first anniversary in Adare.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
We vey much appreciate your feedback & we were delighted to be part of your special wedding celebration.

May all of your dreams be realised together.

See you on your wedding anniversary.

David, Elaina & all of the team in Fitzgeralds Woodlands House Hotel
ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 December 2009

wonderful staff who were aware of the occasion and gave us an anniversary to remember. Personal touch from both ownersand staff - second to none... I would highly recommed and will certainly revisit

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your very kind feedback. The team were delighted to receive the same. Wishing you both a very Happy New Year. Please make sure to let me know if you are staying with us again so that I can say thank you in person.

Elaina, David and the team in Fitzgeralds Woodlands House Hotel
mayo
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2009

having stayed previously in your hotel we were looking foward to our break.As usual we were not disappointed.on arrival we were greeted by your friendly staff who couldnt do enough to help us .We were looking for an upgrade to a suite but ye had none available but your staff gave us a nice large room.Food was fantastic couldnt fault it service was excellent.Met owner in the hotel bar very friendly chatty man.was our first break with our little one very family friendly hotel.
Am going to return in jan with my mum for a quiet break away.
Looking foward to it already.
lynn mayo

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your very kind comments. We look forward to your next visit. Please make sure and let us know when you are coming so that we can endeavour to say a big thank you in person.

Elaina, David and the team in Fitzgeralds Woodlands House Hotel
Limerick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2009

Dear David

Just a quick note to say a huge thanks for a great breakfast, you and your staff anticipated everyone’s tastes and needs, I was so impressed as I did not expect such a variety of choices, Berries and natural yogurt being my first choice, was a surprise, along with the juices, smoothies, and other food choices too many to mention.

Congratulations and very well done, but on reflection I guess it should not be that much of a surprise to me as my family and myself have made the woodlands our gathering place for family occasions over the years. Therefore I do not have to elaborate on the esteem we as a family and I hold for the Woodlands

Sincerely Yours,
Paschal Rowland

• Stayed December 2009, travelled on business
newry
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2009

i was looking 4 a hotel in adare looked at a few other hotels in adare but there were not very friendly. As soon as u walk in the hotel its very homely staff our lovely couldnt do enough for u. the first time we stayed was last november, we been back 3 our 4 times and have took family back with us. they very child friendly lots 4 them to do. My wedding is in february and david in the hotel is a great help to us, as im from armagh and my fiance is from kerry. he help us getting numbers for bands, video men, flowers, cars. We could as for more. by the way the spa is out of this world it's a must.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Adare
Dunraven Arms Hotel
The Inn at Dromoland
The Inn at Dromoland
#2 of 2 in Newmarket-on-Fergus
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,022 reviews

Been to Fitzgerald's Woodlands House Hotel? Share your experiences!