“Fun but eccentric!”
Review of Cullintra House

Cullintra House
Ranked #3 of 6 Inistioge B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 June 2011

We had lots of fun, the food was delicious and we really enjoyed our stay - didn't stop giggling the whole time we were there. The rooms could have been cleaner (with more pillows please!) Patricia was very welcoming and warm, she catered for all our disliikes in food and was very chatty/helpful. She is an absolute cat-lover (in every sense!) so if your'e not a cat-lover then this isn't the place to go! The area was beautiful. If youre in a rush to eat at a certain time it is propably not the place for you. There is a very relaxed atmosphere - but this means waiting a while for food, and BEWARE there is no TV

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank chester00

Reviewed 1 January 2011

For us this was a 2 night stay at the end of a 2 week tour around a wonderful, hospitable country and to top it all the weather was great. We had read all the reviews on this site and decided to read between the lines and trust our instincts; we were hoping for a very different but relaxing experience with great food and I can assure you we were not disappointed.
Upon arrival mid afternoon we found Patricia in the front garden cutting the lawn, she was extremely inviting, stopped what she was doing and gave us a tour of farm and house, all was clean and tidy except for the conservatory where one can sit and have coffee, but as she explained it would rejuvinated by the next morning as she was behind with her chores (and it was) however we never used it as the creepers are not to our taste.
As Patricia was not ready we were sort of sent (with a guide produced by herself) on a walk around her woods/nature reserve? and amost beautiful hill walk, spectacular views not to be missed, laughing uncontrollably as we left for our adventure like a couple of children being sent out of mums way while she cooks and cleans so as not to get under her feet.
Upon arrival back we were told a gong would go for diner about 9.00pm, we retired to our room to relax and freshen up, no drinks in room but that was OK as we always have our own little drinks cabinet with us when on holiday. After such along walk we were ravenous, 9.15pm the 9.30pm then 9.40pm at last the gong went and we rushed downstairs like a couple of schoolkids to the dining hall.
We had read a lot about the dining experience and we were not disappointed, ambiance great, food fantastic and Patricia is great hostess although expect her to chat away and maybe join you for pudding and even ask if you have finished with potatoes as she was eating hers in the kitchen. I must note that I am allergic to fowl and my wife does not like fish and Patricia catered well for these requirements (I did forworn her in email previous week to our arrival) Retired to bed at about 1.00am
Its true what people say you have to knock Patricai up for breakfast, suited us as we were relaxing after a busy tour and to amble down about 10.30am was a delight, anything you want, her soda bread is exceptional. Good quality wine available at very reasonable prices too.
To cap it all this is not a place for people to stay if you want ordinary, this is for those who want and appreciate something different, Patricia treats all as guests to her amazing house and expects you to reciprocate in turn. Eccentric yes but a wonderful hostess ,most definitely.
Steve/Laurel a couple of young 50 somethings from the Cotswolds, England
PS have cash to pay your bill, much easier for Patricia

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SteveLaurel8
Reviewed 25 November 2010

My third stay at Cullintra - a favourite place. This is not a hotel - it is a very charming family farm and a touch of the real Ireland. If you just want a bed for the night then there a dozens of adequate bland and characterless hotels around. What I really enjoy is the convivial communal dining table, the delicious farm house food, and the charming eccentricities such as an invitation after dinner to climb the private path across the farm up the mountain. I found Cullintra to be clean and comfortable and will definitely be back to experience country life and the house party atmosphere

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank Drapier
Reviewed 18 July 2010

We had a very pleasant 2 nights in Cullintra House, the room were clean and tidy, we slept well and the food was excellent. There are slight eccentricities, which if you are aware of these, then you will find this is an excellent place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
7  Thank anneWicklow
Reviewed 1 July 2010

I thought it would be nice to take my Mum away for a few days. She lost her husband in Feb and a break was very much needed. I had read the reviews after booking. This was my first mistake. We weren't allowed to enter till after 5pm ! The rooms were just about adequate on arrival but as the time went on we realized how filthy the place was. I think the cobwebs and dead flies were for maybe potions or something. I asked for the cat to be kept away as mum has a problem with her eyes and the first thing we were introduced to was the cat and then in Patricia's words ' her yard boy '. No tea facillities in the rooms because Patricia had spent £22,000 on her carpets ! We were to go to the conservetory. This to was coverd in cobwebs. We did while waiting for dinner only to find a jug full of set milk for our tea!We didnt go again. I asked on the phone and Patricia agreed to have dinner for 7pm. Upon arrival we were told it would 8pm. 5 courses. Was usually 11pm by the time we finished so no sleep for us. Breakfast! We had to knock her up at her bedroom door ! at 9-30 so we could have breakfast for 10am. We eventually got out for 11-30am. Half the day gone .I have never in my life been to a place like it. Dirty was not the word. There is no way I would ever put a baby of mine in the cot provided and there is no way I would ever go back. Patricia does have certificates but I would like to know who sets the standards. If My card details had not been given I would have gone else where. On the plus side the food was beautiful and we never stopped laughing from the moment we got the till coming home,we had to, to survive. One thing it will be talked about but not for the correct reasons. This was meant to be a romantic place also. God knows how one could get romantic here !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2010
6  Thank lucylucy35
Reviewed 7 June 2010

stayed for two nights in June-anyone that's thinking of staying here would want to have a like for cats....found patricia very eccentric......food very good.....trip to the woods to be avoided!!!

2  Thank ajbucks
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Within 1 hour of being a Cullintra house, I knew something was off. But since this was the first B&B I was staying at in Ireland, I thought perhaps the accomodations are going to be mediocre (the room was really old with shaggy carpet, etc). Patricia's attitude is what made this a nightmare. Dinner was served around 10:30pm and at this point, my aunt had retired for the night as it was simply too late to eat. This was not acceptable for Patricia. She wanted me to go get her, and simply wouldn't let the fact that she was not joining us for dinner go. I hate confrontation at the best of times, but this was really ridiculous. I decided that we would pack in the morning even though she told us there was a 2 night minimum. The next morning was another fight with her and then we finally got out of the dundgeon.
I ended up staying in beautiful and friend B&B after that. If you want a bad story to remember of a trip, stay here. But avoid it if you can!

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank Winenot123
Patriciacantlon, Owner at Cullintra House, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2010

I am so sorry that Cullintra did not suit you and that your stay still annoys you three years later! The carpets, by the way, were new and pure wool. Yes, we do dine late at Cullintra but 9.00 to 9,30 is usual. When guests are booking I try to make them aware of the fact that what they are coming to is a historic family farm in a stunning part of the countryside, full of charm and comfort, part of the living heritage of Ireland, where they will get the best hospitality and the finest food. Cullintra has character, which not everyone likes but lots of people love!

Been to Cullintra House? Share your experiences!