“country house with a difference”
Review of Cullintra House

Cullintra House
Ranked #3 of 6 Inistioge B&B and Inns
“country house with a difference”
Reviewed 7 June 2010

stayed for two nights in June-anyone that's thinking of staying here would want to have a like for cats....found patricia very eccentric......food very good.....trip to the woods to be avoided!!!

2 Thank ajbucks

Solo
Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Ottawa
Reviewed 5 March 2010

Within 1 hour of being a Cullintra house, I knew something was off. But since this was the first B&B I was staying at in Ireland, I thought perhaps the accomodations are going to be mediocre (the room was really old with shaggy carpet, etc). Patricia's attitude is what made this a nightmare. Dinner was served around 10:30pm and at this point, my aunt had retired for the night as it was simply too late to eat. This was not acceptable for Patricia. She wanted me to go get her, and simply wouldn't let the fact that she was not joining us for dinner go. I hate confrontation at the best of times, but this was really ridiculous. I decided that we would pack in the morning even though she told us there was a 2 night minimum. The next morning was another fight with her and then we finally got out of the dundgeon.
I ended up staying in beautiful and friend B&B after that. If you want a bad story to remember of a trip, stay here. But avoid it if you can!

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank Winenot123
Patriciacantlon, Owner at Cullintra House, responded to this review, 30 April 2010
I am so sorry that Cullintra did not suit you and that your stay still annoys you three years later! The carpets, by the way, were new and pure wool. Yes, we do dine late at Cullintra but 9.00 to 9,30 is usual. When guests are booking I try to make them aware of the fact that what they are coming to is a historic family farm in a stunning part of the countryside, full of charm and comfort, part of the living heritage of Ireland, where they will get the best hospitality and the finest food. Cullintra has character, which not everyone likes but lots of people love!

Travellers are raving about these Inistioge hotels

Winona Lake, IN
Reviewed 25 January 2010

I have been there 5 times since 1982. My 6 children and husband all loved our experience with Patricia. One must expect to be prepared to pay cash. Patricia can be very direct, however, I appreciate that most times. We enjoyed hiking, the animals, farmland and woods. We all enjoyed exploring the surrounding villages, had a full day to enjoy. We didn't worrying about getting back for an early dinner.Patricia's dinner can start anytime between 9:30-10:30 PM and go til 1:30 AM. Her dinners are amazing!! We all liked sitting in the living room with a blazing fire, uncorking a few bottles of wine and appetizers while we chatted with the other guest from all over the world. I consider this my Irish home. Well done Patricia!!

• Stayed January 2010
6 Thank MGalvinWinonaLake_IN
timnbea
Reviewed 17 December 2009

Cullintra House was our first stop in Ireland on our honeymoon. We planned to spend three nights there, but left after only two. Our experience at the Cullintra House was one of traumatic hilarity. Patricia, the owner, is rude, intrusive, and abrasive. When told of my special dietary needs, due to severe allergies, she became offended and accusatory. I have never in my life ever felt so degraded due to the fact that I am unable to eat dairy. Additionally, she acted as if we were there as her personal guests, to entertain and be entertained by her. Alone. She actually knocked on our door and tried to come in (thank goodness it was LOCKED!) as we were showering! She proceeded to call through the door to us until we stopped answering.

We stayed in the room above her barn. Our room was dirty, dusty, moldy, and musty. There were cobwebs and spiders everywhere. Everywhere. The water did not work the first night and even when it was working, the water pressure was very weak. Our bed was a mattress thrown on the floor, covered in cat hair and dust. After the first night, we both were coughing and my husband became extremely asthmatic. The plates that we were given to use looked as if they had not been washed in a very long time. There was a creepy locked door in the room as well, leaving us with no idea where it led to.

The grounds look pretty in the pictures, but are completely unkempt and overgrown. More spiders and earless cats abound. Including a dark wooded area with piles of animal bones.

Patricia was continuously inviting us to accompany her on her adventures. But in more of a demanding manner and made us feel guilty for not wishing to participate. We were on our honeymoon and really only wanted to be with each other, and we were not expecting to feel like we had to entertain our hostess.

In the end, paying and leaving the Cullintra House was a two hour ordeal. We literally ran from the house.

The only good thing that came from this experience, is the hours of laughter we have had remembering the trauma of the ordeal. Our stay at the Cullintra House has become a popular horror story told at family gatherings and parties. Please, take our warning, and do not stay here. We are a very happy, sweet, young couple. We were shocked at our treatment and only want to keep others from being treated the same.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
18 Thank timnbea
Cork
Reviewed 26 August 2009

A group of 8 stayed in Cullintra on my recommendation. It was my third stay. It is a real home, there is no pretence what you see is what you get. No mod cons, no TV , no noise, bliss. Cullintra is a little gem deep in the heart of Kilkenny. Patricia(the host) is very welcoming and has a great knack of making everyone feel like part of her extended family. The breakfast is served late and was perfect for us, we were away on a relaxing weekend. Dinner is served very late which also suited us. The pace is slow and that was just what we needed.
The food is good especially the breakfast, local, fresh produce and homemade bread and scones.
The rooms are very homey blankets not duvets, full of antiques and art. The house is in the middle of a working farm. There is a lovely walk up a hill behind the house. At the top is a great view from the edge of Wicklow to Waterford! Take walking boots because the walk involves crossing a bog.
We spent Sat afternoon in Woodstock and Sun walking around St.Mullins and along the Barrow. We had afternoon tea in the Mullichain Cafe(St Mullins) lovely place, freindly staff and good cake!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Phil2252
muiderberg
Reviewed 3 May 2009

We stayed at Cullintra house for one night, got out as fast as possible the next morning.
Photographs can lie - that charming conservatory is more like a morgue, unkempt, cold with a hissing ear less cat that guards the mezzanine. The meat left out for the fox surely attracts rats and as for a furnace - in the tiny dining room an open fire was lit albeit without a fire-guard in front of it. At 9.30 p.m. while we were waiting for the third course of our meal some sparks came out of the fire. One of the other guests had to stamp it out with his feet. By then the girls were too tired to eat their next course and retired to their bedroom, the first one of three adjoining rooms in the family suite.
When we went up to join them they had found some organic inexplicable material in their bed - mould ?
When I tried to open windows I found two of them barred and with great effort I could just about open one of them, giving an opening of about 40 cm / 1.5 ft wide in the window frame.
My daughter started to sneeze violently - the dust mites were overpowering! Luckily we had some anti-histamines with us. Anyway the favourite cat - Oswald - had been encouraged at our arrival to roll on the bed. But then - hey - he was a TV star having played in RTE.
When I lay down my eyes started to water - the covers proved to be woollen blankets, so I threw them off.
Just as I fell asleep the radio in the kitchen beneath us was turned up for the 12 o'clock news - they were still cleaning up. As I lay there musing I smelled the fireplace and suddenly realized that this place was a fire trap.
If that spark was still smouldering, causing a fire - I had spotted no smoke detectors in the house or a fire evacuation scheme - we would be trapped in the first floor family suite.
The next morning we decided to leave and I told the owner that my daughter had had an allergic reaction caused by dust mites. By the way I am a physician. Initially we had wanted to stay for 2 nights. Mrs. Cantlon replied - 'Irish people don't have that, only Americans do, I have to charge you the full price now '. She initially would have given us a discount of 30 euro if we had stayed for 2 nights and the compulsory meals.
To sum it up in order of importance:
no smoke alarms
no fire evacuation scheme
animals in rooms
unhygienic
good food, but served at a very late time and I never saw the kitchen
overpriced
I leave it to the reader to draw their own conclusions.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled with family
14 Thank germanmouse
New Forest, UK
Reviewed 5 December 2008

Cullintra is a little gem. If you go with an open mind and don't expect a traditional b and b then you will love it. Though Patricia is eccentric in every nice way, everything about Cullintra is excellent. The breakfasts are cooked to order and you can have as much or as little as possible. We asked for scrambled eggs instead of fried and Patricia came out with a whole separate dish of scrambled egg complete with decorative garnish. The evening meal is late but is worth waiting every second for. You will leave her dining room feeling extremely full! A lot of the food Patricia uses is local and she is able to tell you exactly who made it and where in Ireland it came from. Very impressive! We stayed in the galleried bedroom above the barn which was beautiful. We had no complaints at all. We didn't attempt to make coffee in the glass room as we were a bit put off by the creepers inside which seemed to be leaking sap everywhere but there are plenty of good cafes and pubs a short drive away.

Patricia makes you feel like a friend in her own home rather than a paying guest (sometimes we had to fit in with her schedule a bit though)- we particularly loved the fact that when we wanted breakfast we were to knock on her bedroom door and give her 15 minutes to prepare. Half an hour later she emerges beautifully dressed ready to cook. The only occasion this was a problem was when we realised that the knock on the door is actually her alarm clock and when we heard snoring, we realised we needed to knock again!

We were lucky enough to be able to see Micky the fox which was incredible - Patricia has a real affinity with wildlife as the fox trusted her enough to come all the way into the house. Where else would you see this?

If you expect a 5 star hotel atmosphere and service void of any character then you will be disappointed. This is a place only for those who appreciate eccentricity and want something different from the norm! We will definitely be going back to Cullintra!

• Liked — The location and decoration
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
8 Thank Lupincot
Also consider these accommodations in or near Inistioge
Kilkenny River Court Hotel
#1 of 2 in Thomastown
Brandon House Hotel
Brandon House Hotel
#1 of 1 in New Ross

Been to Cullintra House? Share your experiences!