“Wow!”

Mitchell's Restaurant
Ranked #2 of 36 Restaurants in Clifden
Good for: Romantic, Groups, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We were just passing by and decided to give this place a try. Man, was that a great decision. They were able to sit us without reservations. The food from starters to desert was simply amazing. The service was great. I will return to Clifden just to come to this restaurant.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Although we had to book a table and it was extremely busy it was worth it. We had fish cakes and crab cakes for starters, fish and chips and scampi for main course. It was faultless and some of the best fresh fish we have ever had. Staff are very professional. My 4 year old decided he wanted stew!! He ate ever bit of it so even better when your child eats every bit.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

Staying near Clifden during a short motoring tour, Mitchells was recommended by our b&b host as the premier fish restaurant in town. This was echoed by our taxi driver and so, having pre-booked, we arrived for the 7p.m. serving (another starts at 9.00p.m.)

A modest frontage led into a very busy dining room (it was Saturday) with tables and chairs leaving very little free space (I think there is further capacity on the second floor). Decoration was pretty much neutral, if not austere, and which I felt rather soulless. It was certainly difficult to discern any defining character to the place beyond a clear focus on food service. Tables were laid with paper napkins and, surprisingly for a fish restaurant, without fish knives.

As expected, the menu offered a wide range of fish dishes and it would be a very particular diner not able to find something to delight and three of the four of us did exactly that. I regret that I found myself odd man out although my starter of caramelised pears teamed with cashel blue and dressed rocket was excellent. Unfortunately, my enjoyment was marred by the maître 'd using the back of my chair to prop himself up while chatting to guests behind us!!

No, the real disaster arrived with the main course of wild salmon on purple sprouting broccoli. It was obvious just by sight that this had been cooked to extinction and I actually wondered if it had already been rejected once. The vegetable on which it resided had been transformed into a vile black stick while the supplementary vegetables served for the four of us defined "al dente" (they may have been near hot water!). In fairness, this dish should have been rejected but on the other hand a restaurant which has built its reputation of serving fish might be expected to exercise better control of what is placed before the customer. A slightly pricey Muscadet was fine.

I've rated this establishment as very good to reflect the fact that three of us had little criticism of the food. However, I feel that Mitchells will need to "up their game" if relegation from the premiership is to be avoided.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We had an early bird menu here so it was good value. The decor is lovely, the staff friendly and efficient and the food really nice. Be careful when choosing from the early bird menu, I picked fish fingers and fish and chips which were quite similar, my friend had sea food chowder and fish pie and said the same. Otherwise a very good dining experience.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We enjoyed our time at this restaurant. It was lively and full. The price was reasonable by Irish standards. Service was pretty good. We will recommend to others going through Clifden!