“Just what we needed.”

Ranked #19 of 33 Restaurants in Clifden
Price range: US$36 - US$65
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, Seafood, European, British
Good for: Bar Scene, Child-friendly, Groups, Kids
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Gloucester
“Just what we needed.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stopped here for lunch on out way through the area. Although it was reasonably busy, the food and service was very good and the furnishings were very reasonable. The speed of service was good although they did get the drinks order slightly mixed up but they never made us feel that it was our fault or problem.
Plenty are car park spaces and easy to get in and out of.

• Visited July 2014

Kildare
“Perfect Sunny Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

Recently visited this scenic part of Galway and stopped off for a late lunch at the Station House Hotel in Clifden. Lovely authentic surrounds, good food and good service was our recent experience at the Signal Restaurant there. The menu was affordable and varied and as a family of 4, we had no bother with selection. There are seating options outside and lots of seating inside in the old bar area itself. Service was attentive and although very busy all food was presented well and arrived promptly.

Overall, I can really recommend this 'hidden gem' of a restaurant.

Clifden itself is a lovely busy town, similar in atmosphere to Westport in Co Mayo with a good mix of locals and tourists enjoying the Irish summer against a backdrop of spectacular scenery.

• Visited July 2014
Marietta, Georgia
“Service was spectacular”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2014

We were a party of 11 and wanted checks separated by family. Our waiter was the most patient, friendly never seemed frazzled waiter I have ever seen. He kept a great sense of humor and never once did we feel like we were inconveniencing him. The food was very good also. Although tips aren't expected in Ireland, we definitely left this poor lad one for dealing with our family.

• Visited June 2014
Newry, United Kingdom
“Eating in the Station House”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 April 2014

For convenience we just ate in the Station House Bar at the Hotel. Service and choice was good with daily specials available.

Visited March 2014
Galway
“Dated, dirty....don't go there”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2013

Was so looking forward to my stay in the station house hotel but I couldn't have been more disappointed.

On arrival we met a lovely receptionist (I think her name was Kathleen) who went through all the hotel had to offer us, I have to say I was very impressed with her but that's where it all ended.

On stepping into the lift there was an awful stale smell and the lift carpet was filthy. We stayed in room 319, the room was okay, curtains were falling down a little and the cushion cover on the bed was very dirty. The bathroom floor was dirty, the kettle was full of dirty brown water....yuck!!

We had dinner on our first night, dining room floor was dirty, yet we were the only ones in the dining room. Cutlery was old and were the plates etc. Our waiter from Bali was lovely, funny and well informed on the menu, but the food was awful.

I had prawns for starters, the were the small frozen packed prawns...not impressed. Scallops for main dish and the dish was completely tasteless. Fudge cake for dessert was something I have tasted before from a foods provider i.e. Pallas Foods and I'd be very surprised if it wasn't from them.

Went to the gym Friday evening, the guy on duty had a small dog in the lobby which kept jumping up on us....very strange. The gym equipment is from the dark ages!! Didn't stay there too long.

Had breakfast Saturday morning.....awful..food was disgusting to say the least and I was shocked to see the waitress cleaning off the tables by wiping the table crumbs (to include egg) onto the carpeted floor. Fruit salad was brown and the scrambled eggs...I have no words for!!

Saturday night there was a wedding in the hotel and had I not had a few drinks in Lowrys pub I would have packed my bags at 1am (when we got in) and driven home. The noise from the wedding even on the 3rd floor was so bad we couldn't sleep.

We skipped breakfast Sunday morning, left at 9am and was happy to get home, have a good breakfast and forget about this awful hotel. I wouldn't go there again if someone paid me. I let all these comments on the in-house comment sheet, surprise no contact from the hotel!!

Visited October 2013