“Clifden Surprise”

Cullen's Bistro & Coffee House
Ranked #21 of 36 Restaurants in Clifden
Reviewed 2 October 2013

We stopped here almost by accident when we were walking around the village of Clifden. When we stopped in we looked at all of the wonderful baked goods in the pastry case we just had to try
something. To our surprise this unasuming place on the main street had fabulous deserts and coffees. Each time we were in town we would stop and try their soups, lunch dishes or deserts.
Now I have read the reviews of some reviewers who had a terrible time with the older woman
who owns the place (with someone else) and I could even see how she could be quite prickly if
not approached with respect. We had no problems with her or any of the small staff who seemed
very eager to please and were always helpful. The food was really always excellent, fresh and
well prepared and the deserts were especially good. I think Cullen's may have been the victim of
some overly demanding tourists when they were more used to the laid back attitudes of western
Ireland from their clientele. Stop there when in town and you decide. It is really a treat.

Reviewed 28 September 2013

Small cafe. Arrived at 6:15 but dinner wasn't served until 6:30. Ordered the lasagna from the early bird menu. It is not red-sauce lasagna and is small. Must be an original recipe; one that shouldn't be shared. I can't recommend the restaurant as it was just ok.

Reviewed 15 September 2013

Four of my friends and I stopped in Clifden and decided to have tea and scones. We had to reorganise the tables to allow five to sit at one table, and the staff were very accommodating. We ordered tea and scones all round. The scones were heated and delicious. The toilets were clean.
We only had a snack, so cannot comment on meals, but it started to get busy. Unfortunately, we finished off the scones, so the coffee house must have been busy all day.

Reviewed 1 September 2013

Having had a few nice meals around Connemara , we visited Clifden and chose this nice looking little bistro to eat in. The Lamb stew was really tasty with fresh tender lamb pieces and nice fresh veg and potatoes. Also a nice fillet of cod in beer batter went down a treat , Great selection of home made desserts. Very friendly staff and pleasing decor too. Highly recommended and very good value for money, We will definately be back. Thanks for a lovely meal.

Reviewed 15 August 2013

Popped into Cullen's Bistro for lunch today 15/08/2013.
Ordered Lasagne at cost of €12.90 - expensive, so expected a great meal. Sadly I was very disappointed - Lasange was very small (2"x2"x2" cube) - top was doughy, absolutely flavourless/tasteless, with very little meat - bottom was burnt and hard. I could not cut the bottom base, so left it! Two thirds of the plate was piled with fries (chips).
Spoke to a young waiter before leaving, and explained that my Lasange was burnt and not great, and suggested that this item be removed from the Menu!
Needless to say, I will not be returning and certainly wouldn't recommend this Bistro to others! Cullens is in a great position in the centre of the town, and and is probably visited by many passing tourists - I just hope that they don't experience what I did today?

2  Thank Kevin O