“long weekend stay 27/6/14”

Alcock & Brown Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
Reviewed 1 July 2014

Well were do I start,I have never left a review for any place before but because of my experience this weekend I felt I had to. with some bewilderment I read the previous review and wondered if they stayed in the same hotel. On arrival (even though we were way past check-in time) we were warmly welcomed at reception checked in promptly and was offered to carry my bag to the room.I first met Declan who was extremely helpful and gave us a few pointers about the town and the location of the harbour. We decided not to have dinner because the rest of our party had went on to the town for entertainment. I asked Declan would there be any chance of a packed lunch for the next day as we were going boat fishing. He said it would be a pleasure and told me there was no charge as we weren't taking dinner. which I thought was excellent. In the morning after a very comfortable nights sleep in a spacious an spotless room we went for breakfast and were met by extremely pleasant and helpful staff who catered to our every need. I then met Declan's lovely wife who told me my lunch was ready to collect anytime we chatted for a bit and I found her to be a lovely pleasant lady. The rest of our stay in the hotel was no different, pleasant staff always smiling (even the men!!!) and helpful. I brought cod back to the hotel for Sharon Declan's wife as a thank you for the sandwiches and she was delighted. Sharon came me later and said that the chef would cook a piece of cod for me for dinner whatever way I wanted (absolutely lovely). On our departure we were refunded money because we were to full to have dessert How about that! Great staff and management spotless rooms,would recommend this hotel to anyone. Cecil Kelly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
vickersbar, Owner at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Hi Cecil, it was great to meet up with you and your friends. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay as we enjoyed your company and chat. Hopefully we will see you here again sometime in the future. Tell Colin that 106 says hello ! Regards, Declan.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

I booked the Alcock & Brown hotel on the 13th of May for myself and 13 others. Each room was to be booked individually as this was not a group booking. I reserved a room for my husband and me and also for my friend and her husband, on my visa debit card. When reserving the rooms (over the phone) I specifically asked that my card not be used for these rooms unless we did not show (or cancelled outside of the cancellation terms) as we would be paying by a different card as would the other couple.

I was explicitly told by the hotel that as long as both rooms were paid for either on check in or check out that there would be no action on my card.

We arrived on Saturday the 14th of June, the other couple paid for their room at check in on their credit card and we paid for our room on check out on my husband’s credit card.

However, when I checked my bank account on the Monday, 16th of June, there was an outstanding charge of €280 (the cost of the two rooms) on my visa card.
I contacted the hotel immediately to enquire why they had charged my card when both rooms had been paid for before we left. I was told that my card had not been charged, but a hold had been put on my card for the total of the two rooms on Friday the 13th of June as a precautionary measure, and would be released in 3-5 days! And that this was common practice for most hotels.

I have never before come across this, with any hotel. I could understand if we did not show up on the day taking the payment from my card, but not putting a hold on the money the day before we were due to arrive, especially not having told me that this would be done, and having told me that my card would not be used if payment was made in full by check out.

The hotel told me they would try to put the transaction at €0.00 to clear the hold, they called back to say that this didn't work and would put through a transaction of €0.01 to try and clear the hold. However, they did not contact me to say that this didn't work, and the following day when my direct debits went through, my account went into debit, and one of my bills was almost not paid.

This was very embarrassing for me, and I contacted the hotel. I spoke to a French man on reception, who could not have been nicer and was extremely helpful and apologetic. He took my details and was to contact Declan (I think he is the manager), who I had dealt with originally, and ask him to call me immediately.
When I still hadn't received a call by lunch time the next day, I rang again, and this time spoke to a lady at reception. I had to go through everything again with her, as Declan wasn't there again. She was very nonchalant, repeatedly telling me that this was common practice with hotels and that I will just have to wait for the hold to be released.

I explained that I was not happy with this and would like to speak to Declan. She reluctantly took my details and told me that she would call Declan, but didn’t know if she would get through as signal in Clifden area is bad.
A while later, the same lady from reception called me back, to say they were sorry about the inconvenience, but kept insisting that as they hadn’t taken the money out of my account and only put a hold on the amount that it was all perfectly fine as the money was still there, either way I do not have access to these funds. She bordered on very rude, and told me that Declan would not be contacting me, as there is nothing that they can do and I would have to contact my bank and sort it out myself.
It is now Monday the 23rd, 11 days since Alcock and Brown Hotel put a hold on €280 on my visa card, and I still have no access to this money. Another direct debit came out today, I’m not sure if it has gone through yet as there was not enough money in my account. My account has gone into debit, for the second time in a week, and I will also be charged for both of these.

I have had to ring the hotel 3 times, I have a minimum of two charges on my account for going into debit and I have had to call my bank, another cost. My bank informed me that Alcock and Brown put a pre-authorisation hold on my card for the €280 on Monday the 16th of June, the day After the room fees were paid!! The pre-authorisation hold lasts 10 working days, which means I will not have access to my €280 until the end of this week. The gentleman I spoke to was very nice, but explained that there is nothing that he can do to release this hold and I will have to wait until the 10 working days have passed.

The entire situation is a disgrace, in these times €280 is a lot of money, and I cannot afford to be without this, but the manner in which the staff and management at the Alcock and Brown have dealt with it is even worse. For a company in hospitality, I found only one person who was in any way pleasant and helpful to deal with, this was the French man who I spoke to on my second time calling the hotel.

There were a few things when we stayed that I was not happy about, (hair in my bathtub when we checked into the room, having to ask the waiter repeatedly for the same thing, and sometimes not getting it, and 3 of our party’s dinners were burnt), but I said nothing at the time I felt that they were minor, however, after this experience I feel it really sums up the hotel.

I arranged for the trip to Clifden for a group of 14 people, we booked and paid for 9 rooms in a 20 room hotel, as well as having dinner and drinks at the hotel. If this is how they treat people who bring business their way, I feel very strongly that the owners and management team of Alcock and Brown are in the wrong industry!! I would not recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
7  Thank ElainerMcLoughlin
vickersbar, Owner at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Elaine, Firstly I must say I am sorry these events have had such a pronounced effect on you as evidenced by the time you have spent writing your reviews. Anytime a guest is left dissatisfied with our service, we are very disappointed and discuss the matter with our team to see where we can improve. The main issue you raise is the pre authorisation of your card. However, I took the booking myself, and it was clearly explained that the card provided must be valid and also that we may pre authorise it. You paid using alternative methods, which is your prerogative. When you asked us to cancel the pre authorisation, we did so. If it was not released, it is really an issue you should take up with your bank's credit card section......probably their technical software team. I should add that pre authorisation of credit cards is a procedure most hotels use.
As for the other issues you raised, I am very surprised, as you did not raise them whilst here. In fact you expressed yourself as very happy with your stay. So I will not comment except to say there are enough guests staying here that know our standards are high. Again I'm sorry they did not meet yours.
Overall, I believe your stay here was enjoyed by you, but that the pre authorisation of your card raised credit issues for you. I am sorry this happened, but I sincerely believe this is a discussion you should have with your bank. Regards, Declan.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Quite a large hotel in the Town Square of the lovely little town of Clifden. Found my room there very spacious with comfortable bedding and good quality furnishings, very nice bathroom too. Big windows, but be aware that not all rooms look over the pretty streetscape of Clifden shown on their website. Would have liked to have a small fridge in the room but no fridge. They have a very good restaurant and an extremely good breakfast in the mornings. The waiters serving the evening meals were very efficient, but I didn't find them all that friendly.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the upper floors which have a proper view of the streetscape.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
vickersbar, Reception at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. We appreciate your comments and are very pleased you enjoyed our Irish breakfast and our award winning restaurant. We are also delighted with your complementary review of our rooms and look forward to the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, friendly owners and the guy on reception was very efficient and friendly. Breakfast could have been a little nicer but il put that down to been late arriving for it. Rooms were very comfortable and clean. The hotel had a nice atmosphere all around. Would return here and it's perfect base for touring Connemara.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for your complimentary review. We are delighted you had a good experience at our Hotel. We strive to give our guests a warm welcome and are very when we hear they have enjoyed their stay. We look forward to welcoming you here soon again.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We're just back from a very enjoyable stay in Alcock & Brown. Very friendly staff from the owners to the waiting staff, Very clean comfortable rooms. Excellent food in lovely bright dining room and great live music to enjoy .Lovely paintings by various local artists all around the hotel. We will be back again. J&K Dublin

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
vickersbar, Receptionist at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your most complimentary review of our Hotel. We are delighted you had such a positive experience here and will convey your compliments to our waiting and housekeeping staff who will be pleased that they have made a difference. We are glad you enjoyed our award winning restaurant and musicians who play nightly during dinner. We look forward to welcoming you back. Thank you so much for taking the time to list all the compliments.

Reviewed 6 June 2014

A most pleasant experience at this hotel in Clifden , genuine friendliness from check in to departure , fantastic breakfast, cooked to perfection with 'amazingly' fresh eggs. It was a pleasure staying at the Alcock & Brown

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
vickersbar, Reception at Alcock & Brown Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 June 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your warm and complimentary review. We are so pleased you had a nice experience at our Hotel and will pass your compliments on to our Chef who prepares breakfast each morning with the fresh eggs you so enjoyed. We strive to please our guests from check in to departure. We look forward to welcoming you here again.
Many thanks,

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Stayed here for two days at the end of May. Very enjoyable experience. Owners, Declan and Sharon very friendly and chatty. Hotel clean and comfortable. Had a meal one night - lamb for me and salmon for wife - both very npleased with the quality and quantity of the food. Great to have a waitress serve the hot breakfast rather than "serve yourself".
!
The view from the bedroom at the back of the hotel - not great but we slept most of the time we were there so not really a big minus!.

A good couple of days

Room Tip: Try for a room overlooking the square - we will the next time we are there.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest,
We appreciate your warm and complimentary review. We are delighted you felt so welcome at our family run Hotel. We always like to take the time to talk with our guests and help them enjoy their stay. We hope you come back to stay with us soon again!
Many thanks,
Aideen

Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Clifden Station House
Foyles Hotel
Foyles Hotel
#5 of 7 in Clifden
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel

Been to Alcock & Brown Hotel? Share your experiences!