“Charming, hospitable, fun, and a Parrott!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Abbeyglen Castle Hotel

Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
Dublin, Ireland
“Charming, hospitable, fun, and a Parrott!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

The real draw to this hotel is the staff and the jovial atmosphere. The hospitality shown by the proprieter Brian (who is an accomplished piano player, as well as hotelier), his Dad Paul (in the restaurant) and the Barman Roger was like nothing I've experienced in Ireland before. All are quick-witted and have remarkable memories (we were on first name terms the second day of the trip with Brian remembering my name and where I'm from). Fine, the hotel itself is somewhat dated in terms of its decor, but that is more than adequately compensated for in terms of craic (fun!), warmth, atmosphere and service. The place is clean and certainly has its charm. The beds are very comfortable and my wife and I had the best fun in this place, where we stayed for the weekend. Guests are entertained in the bar and restaurant by talented pianists and guests are encouraged to join in the singalong... the food was delicious in the restaurant, and there was plenty of variety for breakfast. It was my birthday this weekend, and Brian arranged for a special dessert plate to be served to me, and then took a photo of me with it, and produced the photo within minutes as a memento. Will I return? Absolutely! Oh, and there's a parrot welcoming you in reception.

Room Tip: The suite is impressive.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (249)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 November 2013

Have just returned from a two night stay in the Abbeyglen for the wedding of a very good friend. Can honestly say it was the best fun I've had in a very long time. Brian and his staff went above and beyond the call of duty, their hospitality knew no bounds and their good humour, enthusiasm and outstanding welcome was just fantastic. I was a bit dubious about travelling all the way to Clifden as it is a bit of a hike from Dublin but I can safely say I would make the journey again in the morning. The hotel itself is located in beautiful surroundings, was extremely comfortable (lovely beds!) and homely in the way that only old Irish hotels can be and as for the food, it was just delicious. I certainly hope to return to the Abbeyglen in the not too distant future, we had a blast!

Room Tip: Ask for a four poster bed!
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 November 2013

We went as a large group to Abbeyglen and the service was world class. Brian and his team are among the friendliest of staff I've met, constantly on call to make your trip perfect, creating a great buzz around the hotel. The local area is incredibly scenic with lots of activities on your doorstep. Would highly recommend Abbeyglen.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Forster, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 November 2013

I have stayed at the Abbeyglen Castle Hotel numerous times over the past 10 years now. The reason I keep going back is quite simply the outstanding hospitality. The food is great the bar atmosphere with live music and the well appointed rooms make this one of Irelands best. Look past some of the minor failings pointed out in other reviews (which I find hard to believe) and instead look for the positive attitude of the staff, the hospitality and the craic and you can not go far wrong. We moved to Australia a while ago, but this one is on my bucket list to do again when we return to visit relatives.

Room Tip: Go for one of the suites - they are excellent
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 November 2013

Had a really relaxing weekend in Abbeyglen recently, yes, its a bit dated and sometimes a musty smell but its warm and very welcoming..all the guests look content. The meals were very tasty and the fact that Brian remembers everyones name and has his finger on the pulse at all times is be admired..this is a place where you can totally relax..Roger cured my indigestion with a fine aperatif..afternoon tea and scones were very welcome and the open fires added to the atmosphere..we also visited the spa for treatments..more relaxation and both Michelle and Lynda took a great interest. Brian has a great talent (musically) and also with getting people involved..great to see an owner so involved - thats business. We will return..

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013

Spent the weekend at the Abbeyglen last weekend and I have to say it was an all round wonderful experience. On both Friday night and Saturday night, I sat and watched visitors from various parts of the world, enjoy Irish hospitality at its very best. They were all in awe of the experience and I really was proud to be Irish knowing the stories these travelers will most likely relate to their friends and families back home.

I'm not going to go into all the various detail you would normally expect to see in a hotel review and there are plently more reviews covering it but suffice to say that the Abbeyglen Castle Hotel is a unique place with a wonderful team of people dedicated to making it the best possible experience for their guests. And they succeed.

Special mention for our host Brian, Roger behind the bar, the lovely guys and gals at reception and a very very special mention for Michelle and Lynda in the Spa. We'll definitely be back!!!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 November 2013 via mobile

I really enjoyed my stay but the beds were the most uncomfortable I have had for years. This is a quirky hotel, a parrot greets you as you enter, free tea and scones beside the fire before 5pm. I felt like I was back in time with the restaurant, pianist, slightly over cooked food and a pleasant but bored waitress. The staff were lovely and I definitely enjoyed my stay, shame about the beds. I miss my duvet !

Quirky hotel in a beautiful location

• Stayed November 2013
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Clifden Station House
#1 of 1 in Letterfrack
Foyles Hotel
Foyles Hotel
#5 of 7 in Clifden

Been to Abbeyglen Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!