“Never Felt So At Home Away from Home”

Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
Reviewed 26 December 2013

Of the many wonderful experiences that we had in Ireland, our stay at the Abbeyglen was the best part of the trip. Beginning with the location and ambiance, the hotel has a lot going for it being located at the beginning of the Sky Road and only a few minutes walk into the center of Clifden. The hotel is a charming period piece with lit fireplaces in the public areas and several comfortable sitting areas. Complimentary service included afternoon tea and scones, and champagne in the early evening. The food and service at breakfast and dinner were delightful. All that said, the most outstanding feature of the Abbeyglen is the welcomeness of the staff and owners who greeted us by name, chatted, told us about the area and its history, and introduced us to other guests at the hotel.The sing-along and dancing in the hotel bar on Saturday night became a roomful full of friends and an unforgettable experience. I have never felt so at home away from home.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 18 December 2013

My husband and stayed here for our anniversary. Everything was wonderful! The room the view the staff the food everything was perfect! The little town of Clifton is within walking distance and is a perfect beautiful little town the whole experience was amazing!

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 December 2013

We recently stayed at the Abbeyglen on a Saturday night in December. The setting is lovely, just outside Clifden which is a few minutes walk away. The hotel is a little disappointing for a four star as it feels a bit tired. Although the general impression on arrival was warm and welcoming our room was a little oppressive. The decor is somewhat dated with heavy drapes and furnishings. I think this may be an attempt to reflect the age of the building but I think it would benefit from a refresh. However the room was well equipped with a kettle, ironing board, extra bedding etc. and the bed was very comfortable. We had a very good night's sleep as the setting is tranquil.
My biggest disappointment was the breakfast which was really poor mainly because it was self service and the food was tepid at best. The range of food available was fine but I was surprised that we had to help ourselves in a four star hotel. There appeared to be adequate staff available for table service but they only provided tea and toast. The plates weren't heated and the food in the serving dishes barely warm. This poor breakfast experience marred an otherwise pleasant stay.
The hotel has a nice cosy, homely atmosphere with pleasant and helpful staff. Our room was comfortable and well equipped if a little dated and the hotel grounds are lovely - it's certainly worth a visit if your in the area. I do think our visit would have been greatly improved if we had have been served a hot breakfast. Maybe next time.

2  Thank sarah1026
Reviewed 10 December 2013

The Abbeyglen is simply incomparable to other hotels of this type or in this region. It is quirky, homely, and offers an utterly unique experience that I cannot recommend highly enough.

I stayed here for a weekend with my girlfriend to celebrate a recent birthday and from the instant that we set foot on the impressive estate, everyone at the hotel went out of their way to ensure that it was a memorable and enjoyable experience.

I nearly backed over a bellboy, so attentive was the member of staff who suddenly appeared at the rear of my car, ready to assist with baggage before the vehicle had even come to a complete stop. The staff are friendly and helpful throughout and Gilbert, the parrot who resides in reception, is a fantastic point of interest that epitomises the quirky and wonderful nature of this hotel.

The setting is fabulous and there are activities aplenty both within the grounds of the impressive castle and nearby. It's just a short walk from the lovely town of Clifden, which offers surprisingly good shops, fine eateries and great public houses. It is also located at the foot of the Sky Road, which is a panoramic route overlooking the bay and is an absolute must-see - whether on foot, bicycle or by car.

The bar, reception and lounge are extremely comfortable and cosy. Open fires characterise most rooms, from the entrance hall to the piano bar. Roger the Barman is an absolute character whose sharp wit and warm manner is as enjoyable as any of his top-shelf liquor. The bar is a cosy refuge during the day but it can become a comical asylum at night, when sing-songs and dancing can prevail until the early hours of the morning.

There's a YouTube video on the hotel's website that depicts a wild night of revelry involving novelty hat wearing and dancing on seats that I assumed was a hen-party blow-out that constituted the exception rather than the rule. But it's not the exception. It is the rule. Everyone, young and old, sang and danced in the bar over the weekend of our stay.

The musical entertainment is provided by Brian, a talented pianist and one of the proprietors, who extends the warmest of welcomes to all of the guests and ensured that everyone - from hyper hens to a septuagenarian couple who were there to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary - had a night to remember. The latter were awarded second prize in an informal dancing competition to their absolute delight, and they spent much of the night afterwards gazing admiringly at their medals. It was a nice touch on the part of the organisers that visibly meant the world to the old dears.

When we eventually prised ourselves from the bar, the room was great. There was a gas fire and it was simultaneously roomy and cosy.

The restaurant is excellent. The grub was fantastic, there's a super wine list, and the buffet of desserts is impossible to resist. Anyone celebrating an occasion on the night was also treated to a cake and candles, where appropriate; as well as a photo to mark the occasion, which was supplied to the celebrants before the meal was finished.

The complimentary champagne reception on the Saturday evening was also a lovely touch and is worth a mention.

I've stayed in a lot of hotels in several countries and I can honestly say that I have never encountered one like this. It is not like other hotels, it cannot be copied, and the owners have to be commended for creating what they have here. After the weekend, my girlfriend made me promise that we could come back and stay again. I'm just sorry she only has one birthday a year.

Room Tip: Was on the higher floor, which was probably a blessing because the fun in the hotel bar can go on ve...
2  Thank John K
Reviewed 8 December 2013

The real draw to this hotel is the staff and the jovial atmosphere. The hospitality shown by the proprieter Brian (who is an accomplished piano player, as well as hotelier), his Dad Paul (in the restaurant) and the Barman Roger was like nothing I've experienced in Ireland before. All are quick-witted and have remarkable memories (we were on first name terms the second day of the trip with Brian remembering my name and where I'm from). Fine, the hotel itself is somewhat dated in terms of its decor, but that is more than adequately compensated for in terms of craic (fun!), warmth, atmosphere and service. The place is clean and certainly has its charm. The beds are very comfortable and my wife and I had the best fun in this place, where we stayed for the weekend. Guests are entertained in the bar and restaurant by talented pianists and guests are encouraged to join in the singalong... the food was delicious in the restaurant, and there was plenty of variety for breakfast. It was my birthday this weekend, and Brian arranged for a special dessert plate to be served to me, and then took a photo of me with it, and produced the photo within minutes as a memento. Will I return? Absolutely! Oh, and there's a parrot welcoming you in reception.

Room Tip: The suite is impressive.
Reviewed 30 November 2013

Have just returned from a two night stay in the Abbeyglen for the wedding of a very good friend. Can honestly say it was the best fun I've had in a very long time. Brian and his staff went above and beyond the call of duty, their hospitality knew no bounds and their good humour, enthusiasm and outstanding welcome was just fantastic. I was a bit dubious about travelling all the way to Clifden as it is a bit of a hike from Dublin but I can safely say I would make the journey again in the morning. The hotel itself is located in beautiful surroundings, was extremely comfortable (lovely beds!) and homely in the way that only old Irish hotels can be and as for the food, it was just delicious. I certainly hope to return to the Abbeyglen in the not too distant future, we had a blast!

Room Tip: Ask for a four poster bed!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 November 2013

We went as a large group to Abbeyglen and the service was world class. Brian and his team are among the friendliest of staff I've met, constantly on call to make your trip perfect, creating a great buzz around the hotel. The local area is incredibly scenic with lots of activities on your doorstep. Would highly recommend Abbeyglen.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Rosleague Manor Hotel
Rosleague Manor Hotel
#1 of 1 in Letterfrack

Been to Abbeyglen Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!