“Treated like Royality”

Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We traveled in a small group and arrived dead tired. That attitude quickly changes as we were received by Paul who was all smiles and served us champagne while we got checked into lovely rooms. The food was very good and Roger our waiter was on top of his game with service. Our entire group enjoyed the fine service and the hotel. Yes it is a little old but it is well maintained and the staff is excellent. Hope you enjoy the stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,321)

Reviewed 7 June 2014 via mobile

Our mother and daughter trip was highlighted by a castle stay and this worked so well for our itinerary and budget. The Galway Tour company dropped us off at Kylemore Abbey and a taxi ferried us to the castle then back again to join the next days tour pickup at the castle. Tuesday is Irish night and a lot of fun. We ordered a full package including supper, breakfast and a packed lunch the next day. Yes, maybe a little more than from a shop but it was personally packed for us and we had it in hand for a ramble through the countryside exploring historic ruins etc. Staff is very helpful and accommodating and we had a marvelous time. Castle itself is great to explore and enjoy and a great place to meet other travelers!

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 4 June 2014

On 05/01 and 05/02/2014 my friends and I stayed at the Abbeyglen Castle in Clifden. Our accommodation had been arranged through Exploring Ireland. We were treated like royalty and had a great time. Thank you to Mr Hughes and his staff. The room was exquisite. I felt transported back in time but all the comfort you could want. We all loved our stay from the champagne upon arrival, the flags on the table at our meals, the food was excellent, I loved the bird( wish I could remember his name), the room, the bathrooms, there is not one negative thing to say. I would stay again in a heartbeat. Thank you! The Castle is close to many places of interest. One great trip we took(on suggestion from the staff) was a day trip to Inishbofin. It was the best! Thank you

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 4 June 2014

While this hotel is clean and well located for Clifden town, it is by no means deserving of its apparent 4 Star rating and its 190 euro a night price.
It is dated and shabby looking and upon entering only looks vaguely similar to photos on the website which I assume were taken several years ago.

On arrival I was asked to present my Credit Card for pre-authorisation which was acceptable enough but was very surprised when the girl on reception started to write down the details of my card (including expiry date and last three digits on the back) on a page of paper in front of her.
I immediately said I wasn't happy with this insecure way of recording my credit card details. I offered to allow pre-authorisation using their credit card machine but they didn’t know how to do this. The staff seemed to think it was very strange that I would have a problem with this.

When brought to our room I was very disappointed, It was dark and dingy and certainly far from the luxury the website (and price) suggests. The bath was clearly leaking at some point and someone had done a patch up job with silicone and tile grout. While that made no difference to the actual shower itself it was just bizarre that someone would leave it like that.
It also overlooked a green area and had no netting on the windows so wasn't ideal for getting changed.

Breakfast in the hotel was ok, there was a lot of choice in fairness and the staff in the restaurant were very friendly and helpful.

We didn't arrive early enough to benefit from the Free Scones on arrival and were so disappointed with the hotel we chose to go straight into Clifden for dinner rather than stay around for the Prosecco reception so I can’t comment on either.

Over all the hotel is ok, not awful, but really not worth the reputation or more-so the price. I have stayed in much nicer hotels and I really hated handing over almost 200 euro for this hotel when it was barely worth half that.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah642
Reviewed 3 June 2014

So bad we didn't stay and checked into a local B&B instead (which was much cleaner and brighter!) How this place has 4 stars I have no idea...we had booked a room with a view but on arrival we were told that a large group had booked after us and had requested to be together so we were 'bumped' into a rear facing room on the ground floor! The first room we were shown was so dark and dingy there was no way we could stay (even on a sunny day!) the second was no better. All the staff we met were full of colds and not very helpful. This place clearly doesn't feel it needs to try at all and is trading on a name it doesn't deserve. Easily the worst hotel we've been to in a long time and so far short of the promises it makes on its web site...the rooms are dark dingy and the whole place looks neglected and with so many other great hotels and B&B's nearby I'm amazed it survives.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel all together if you want a good room!
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Jenni D
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Where do I begin?. I had the pleasure once again to stay at this amazing hotel/castle facility this past febuary 2014. The minute you arrive to check in you are given this awesome feeling of being highly appreaciated that you selected to stay at this superb hotel. As always the receptionist is the most pleasant and friendly person one could hope to meet, matter of fact all the hotel staff are superb and will go out of their way to help you and make you feel very very welcome. I love how the propriorter Brian has an actual "hands on" role which he fulfills to an excellent degree. He actually plays the piano in the lively bar on certain nights. complimentary tea/coffee & scones are a must to have before dinner. Gilbert,,,the resident cockatoo will also welcome you at reception. Rooms are spotless and large. The food is second to none with a wide varity selection for the dinner menu, and the breakfast is superb. Do yourself a huge favour if you are in and around the clifden area and looking for a hotel to stay at, you will not be disappointed in any way.

Room Tip: Try to get a room overlooking the estuary, stunning view.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank tightlines2013
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Thank you Paul and Brian for a very memorable stay at your property. We loved our accommodations. More importantly, we so enjoyed the staff and both of you. What fun! The evening champagne reception and music in the bar was wonderful. Kudos to John the bartender. What a nice man. The dining room was gorgeous and the cuisine delightful. Wait service was impeccable. We would most certainly stay at this lovely property again. The parrot was a hoot! As very experienced world travelers, we were delighted to enjoy such a unique property and staff. Thank you!

Room Tip: Just remember that this hotel/castle was built in the 1800's. With that in mind, go and enjoy...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Alcock & Brown Hotel
Alcock & Brown Hotel
#6 of 7 in Clifden

Been to Abbeyglen Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!