“Not the most authentic but very good value for money”

Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
Ranked #4 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
Reviewed 18 June 2014

The staff was incredibly accommodating and made every effort possible to get us the room we desired (and we did!). Thank you again, Aiden! The decor is beautiful, if a tad bit shabby and in need of cleaning. The grounds and view is gorgeous, however, and the walk into Clifden was an easy little trek. Yes, there was a smell of bird poop in the one hallway, but it's not the worst thing ever and the bird was very sweet and friendly.

Our rooms could have used a good cleaning, but it wasn't what I would call filthy. View was gorgeous and bed was large and comfortable.

The champagne hour was a nice touch and included some nice hors d'oeuvres. John at the bar was ever so nice and happily even tried to recreate an american shot for one of my friends. Some of the guests couldn't exactly handle their liquor and I'm sure they annoyed some other guests trying to sleep, but we mostly found them to be amusing while we sat by the peat fire place and drank our cocktails. It was also very convenient for driving on Sky Road and Beach Road.

Was it my favorite place that we stayed at? No. Could it use a bit of updating/cleaning/polishing? Yes. But, we did enjoy our time there and I can find nothing seriously egregious to complain about so I suggest that you book your stay with appropriate expectations and you'll surely enjoy yourself!

Room Tip: Try for a room at the front of the castle for the best view, but those rooms are in high demand so d...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ashley F
Write a ReviewReviews (1,314)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

We recently spent 3 days at the Abbeyglen Castle Hotel at the end of May and really enjoyed ourselves! The owner welcomes guests with a champagne toast and h'ordeuvres in the early evening, which quickly spills over into live piano music in the upstairs restaurant, with good food, good drink, and wonderful service. The owner puts miniature flags at tables to indicate the home country of the diners--quite a variety for this relatively out of the way place. I love that the whole dining room is serviced by the entire staff and that potatoes, carrots, and broccoli, etc. are offered from person to person as if you were at home at the family dinner table. Desserts of all kinds are offered on buffet tables so that many items can be tasted and enjoyed. Then this spills over to drinks and more music and even singing in the pub back downstairs--what more could you ask for? Breakfast the next day and a bird named Gilbert who loves to be petted and who talks to guests, that's what...and a cous cous ratatouille for dinner that was just delicious. The first night we were entertained by a piano player that was somehow able to get my husband to sing--I've known him for 26 years and I have never heard him sing in front of other people! Each night there was different entertainment--all excellent--everyone was so warm and friendly, exactly what we needed on vacation.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 June 2014

Spent a weekend at the Abbeyglen Castle Hotel recently with a friend. We have booked the package including dinners on both nights and breakfast both mornings.

The extras didn't end there though - tea and scones on arrival, got a call at 6.30pm to tell us all to come down to the bar where there was complimentary champagne, brie and crackers and smoked salmon and crackers to accompany a brief history of Clifden and the hotel. The owner who gave the talk spoke really fast and we did hear some people saying that they didn't understand most of what he had said. We're Irish so we understand the accent but we still struggled a little!!

The room itself was great, we got a complimentary upgrade to a suite, four poster bed, gas fire in the room and separate seating area. Couldn't fault it.

The dinners on both nights were nice with the exception of my main course on the second night, everything else was prefect. The dessert buffet - what can I say, amazing.

The staff were very helpful and all very jolly. The breakfast both mornings was really good with a great selection.

Wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel for a long weekend - you won't be disappointed.

The hotel itself is about a 10 minute walk from Clifden itself on top of a hill with lovely views of the surrounding countryside.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Had afternoon tea in the hotel.The setting was really lovely and it was a sunny day so it added to the atmosphere of the hotel.It was a lovely selection of sandwiches and was very fresh. The hotel is a short distance from Clifden which is in the heart of Connemara.If you are thinking of a special occasion ,i would suggest that you consider this hotel.You will certainly enjoy,P

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 June 2014

I can't say enough about this hotel. Me and 40 of my friends including my 3 children went there to celebrate my 40th birthday. I spent some time organising it beforehand and the staff were so helpful and didn't forget any of my little requests.
The room we had was set up very well for the children. There were 2 beds for the boys in the separate sitting room and there was a cot in our bedroom for the baby. Plus we had a four poster bed. The hotel organised a babysitter for the children in the evening - a lovely woman (Ann) who also works in the hotel.
We had a champagne reception before dinner and because the weather was nice we were able to have it outside by the fountain.
The food and the service was excellent. The highlight was the entertainment in the bar after dinner. Brian the manager sings and plays the piano plus he adds in a dancing competition which is more fun than you would expect. There's absolutely no need to leave the hotel at night - stay for the entertainment.
At breakfast the next morning, Brian was there to welcome us all and has a strange talent of being able to remember everyone's name. It's a family run hotel and you actually feel like you're part of the family.
All of my friends really enjoyed the night and loved their rooms. Some of us are trying to come up with an excuse to go back - maybe for one of their Christmas parties.
Aside from having my birthday party there, the part that I was really happy with was the way the kids were made feel so welcome. My 8 year old was given a gold medal for good behaviour and he was thrilled to bits. Its the little things that matter.

Bring your kids or bring your friends - you'll love it.

Room Tip: Rooms 43 and 72 are fab. Room 72 has a balcony.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 June 2014

Lovely castle and had very nice room, there the positive's end. After check in , gentleman showed us to our room, Didnt offer to take my partner's case - Good manners costs nothing.
Areas such as mantlepiece, etc in our room had last been dusted weeks if not months ago based on depth of dust.
Had brealfast in our room - small jug of milk despite two for coffee and cereal, pastries tasted stale, no marmalade/jam.
Dinner was a rushed experience and my main course was of poor pub grub standard.
We were told by 'manager' that he 'doesnt get many Irish 'Punters'. We can see why as ourselves and another Irish couple were ignored by him while he catered for his overseas 'punters'.
Most damning indictment - Fire hazard - Housekeeing leave laundry trolley and other trolley beside Fire exit and end of narrow corridoor leaving it partilially blocked.
Definetly a place to be avoided at all costs, especially if your an 'Irish Punter (Guest)!!'

Room Tip: Had room with private mini waterfall outside which was lovely
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chris W
Reviewed 7 June 2014

We traveled in a small group and arrived dead tired. That attitude quickly changes as we were received by Paul who was all smiles and served us champagne while we got checked into lovely rooms. The food was very good and Roger our waiter was on top of his game with service. Our entire group enjoyed the fine service and the hotel. Yes it is a little old but it is well maintained and the staff is excellent. Hope you enjoy the stay.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Clifden Station House
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Alcock & Brown Hotel
Alcock & Brown Hotel
#6 of 7 in Clifden

Been to Abbeyglen Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!