“Family Break”

Clifden Station House
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
Reviewed 13 July 2012

Had a wonderful time staying here with the family, the room was perfect as it took all 5 of us. As for the staff. The middle aged lady was fantastic with helping us decide on places suitable to visit especially with the children. Both the waiters and waitresses in the main Hotel and in the Bar were very accommodating. Was a wonderful family holiday

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank maeve d
Write a ReviewReviews (1,426)

Reviewed 10 July 2012

Reserved a Station House Self-Catering apartment. The following conditions welcomed me: 1) the electronic door lock had to be repaired while I waited in the bar. Why didn't reception know that the lock was out of order? 2)The apartment had no telephone, which is advertised in the Website, and, after I trapsed to the Reception Dest to ask for one, a member of the housekeeping staff came to the apartment to tell me that the line was out of order -- a telephone was not possible. Why didn't reception know this? After a visit by the manager of the self-catering units, I was moved to another unit (already having moved my things into unit #1). 4) There the telephone was located a few feet from the entrance, not in the bedroom where one would want it for safety. 5) There was no hot water in unit #2 -- another visit from the manager who had to call in an electrician to tinker with the settings. 6) After I unpacked, I realized that my $500 camera (with 5 days of photos on the memory card) was missing. I searched both apartment units, even though I had not unpacked in unit #1, as well as every hole and crevice in my car. I visited the bar just in case I had left it there while waiting for the door lock to be repaired. In my travels I never left the camera in the car and I never left the car unlocked; yet I had to assume that, in all of the moving from apartment to pub to a second apartment and the going back and forth to the reception desk, I had broken both rules and that it had been stolen from the car. 7) There was no keyboard in the apartment, which is required for the advertised Internet access through the television set; upon yet another trip to the reception desk, I was told that there was not one available to give me -- no apology, no "I'll see what I can do," etc. 8) Supposedly equipped for self-catering, the kitchen in the apartment contained not a single knife sharp enough to peel a piece of fruit, no colander (food drainer), no cereal bowls (only some tiny dessert bowls).

I decided not to stay beyond a second night at the apartment; and, when I left, I reported the camera loss to the hotel manager who assured me that he would immediately ask staff to search every inch of both units and would telephone me within 24 hours; 9) I never heard from him.
SIX DAYS after this assurance, however, and after I had bought another camera, I received an e-mail from a receptionist saying that, when they had cleaned unit # 1, housekeeping had found the camera IN THE DISHWASHER! I had been in that unit for less than 45 minutes, without unpacking and certainly notopening the dishwasher. Therefore, how did it get there? And for what purpose? I suppose I'll never know.

Room Tip: If other self-catering apartment units have as many unworking parts and missing amenities, I suggest...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
3  Thank SamanthaOhio
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Had a super weekend in Clifden (well - Friday and Saturday) Hotel staff were very friendly and accommodating, hotel was comfortable and food was excellent - especially the fish!! Weather was a bit off while we were there but plenty to do in area all the same. Particluarly liked 'Barry' playing piano in the lobby last night (Saturday) - excellent. We will be back!!!

Room Tip: Stay on courtyard side - a little quieter!!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank MaireadBrennan2012
Reviewed 7 July 2012

Lovely hotel in a great location with a really nice breakfast and good food in the station house bar.

Staff were always friendly and welcoming.

Improvements could be made to the bathrooms which while clean and modern lack the style of some other hotels. I stayed in several rooms here while on business and all were three bed (single and double), some of the rooms I felt could have been left with a double bed alone thereby making room for a bigger bathroom with a stand alone shower.

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 405. Room is next to what must be the heating system for the hotel therefore the...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Culainn
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We have stayed at The Station House on a few occasions, mainly as my parents did live in Clifden and it was convenient for us when we visited.

The location is great and whilst in my opinion it is an average hotel with a corporate feel. The rooms are a good size, the beds very comfortable and the bathrooms generous - the rooms have always been super clean and the furniture well maintained and whilst lacking in character, these elements do make a difference.

The main restaurant has not been open in the evenings when we have visited and we have dined in the Station Bar, 10 seconds across the car park, the bar has a nice homely feel to it and is decorated with railway memorabilia, which is of course very apt! The food was good, generous portions, piping hot and good value.

Breakfasts are buffet style, plentiful and replenished all the time.

The location is great. Clifden is a wonderful place to visit, whilst travelling you might feel that you will never reach the end of the road, when you do it is worthwhile. The town has wonderful shops and fantastic restaurants, Mitchells is one of the best seafood restaurants we have ever been too, amazing atmosphere and superb food (see my separate review). It is worth a trip up the Sky Road to experience breathtaking views and down on the Beach Road to be inches away from the water.

There are many other places to stay in Clifden, however The Station House offers decent food and spacious clean rooms at an affordable price and you can't really go wrong with that - we would without hesitation stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CheshireDancingqueen
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We have just returned from a 3 night break and cannot fault the hotel at all. In our party there was 10 - 4 of them children. We would definately return again as we could not fault anything - from the location, facilities, food, service everything was just perfect. There was something that catered for everyone in our party - would really recommend this hotel if you have children. Well apart from the weather but then again you can't ask for everything :)

Thanks again to all the staff for making our stay a very enjoyable.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank Paula G
Reviewed 2 July 2012

We rented a 3 bedroom self-catering apartment. We had rented a similar unit 4 years ago and left happy about our choice to stay at the Station House. The same cannot be said for this trip-the units are really showing their age. The toilets don't stop running, the heating unit bangs all night, the floors and stairs creak, the unit was missing serving dishes, an iron, an ironing board, etc., and it just wasn't very comfortable. We are back to renting a house in town again for future trips.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank NJtraveler025
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel
Foyles Hotel
Foyles Hotel
#5 of 7 in Clifden

Been to Clifden Station House? Share your experiences!