“Nice hotel but kids club dissapointing”

Clifden Station House
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
Kildare, Ireland
“Nice hotel but kids club dissapointing”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Just back from 3 night easter break at this hotel with our 3 children aged 7,8 and 9. Check in and check out wasn't great. We were quoted wrong price on arrival and got no apology afterwards and got overcharged €60 on check-out but this time the receptionist did apologise. All other staff throughout hotel were very friendly. Pool was good and temperature was fine. Breakfast choice was excellent (smoked salmon , pancakes, fresh cheese fruit available). Ate in both bar and restaurant and meals were very good. Plenty for children meals also. Was disappointed with kids club . Started at 3pm in pool which is not a great time, if families are out and about. Then a children's tea in restaurant, a bit overpriced, followed by a dvd. Playroom not great and practically empty - nothing in it for children aged 7+. 7 year old went one night and asked to be collected early as she was bored. Would have expected kids club to be much more exciting over easter bank holiday. However the children were given easter eggs which was a nice surprise in their room. Overall loved the Clifden area, plenty to do.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank SiobhanMc_10
Ronan F, General Manager at Clifden Station House, responded to this review, 27 April 2014
Hi Siobhan,

Thank you for your positive review of the Station House Hotel. I'm glad you enjoyed your stay and most of the facilities were up to a high standard. We're also delighted you enjoyed the Easter eggs.

We will review your comments on the kids club and try and make this service better for the future. I have shared your comments with the team.

Ronan Fahy,
General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
Reviewed 21 April 2014

I stayed for 4 nights at this hotel as part of a group of hill walkers stying for a weekend. The location is great for access to the 12 Ben mountain range. Highlights of my stay were:
1) a comfortable room in a quiet corner of the hotel as I had requested.
2) Friendly staff, with good customer service
3) the pool, sauna and jacuzzi after a long day in the mountains
4) Well cooked Irish food, with a good range on the menu.
5) A good rate for full board for our group.
I left a suggestion that gluten free bread would be stocked as a matter of course. It wasn't available all the time during my stay.

Room Tip: Ask fir the 4th floor if you want the possibility of a quiet room.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank AprilShannon2
Ronan F, General Manager at Clifden Station House, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear Shannon,

Thank you for your positive review , We're delighted you enjoyed your stay. I have passed your kind comments onto the team.

In relation to your comments on Ceoliac options, we will now stock bread on a continuous basis.

I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Dublin
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Just returned from a brilliant family weekend at the Station House Hotel in Clifden. We stayed in the apartments next to the hotel and found them to be excellent. We also had full use of all the facilities of the hotel which included leisure centre, cinema, kids club and restaurant. From the moment we arrived the staff couldnt have been more attentive to our needs with every request either big or small carried out really quickly and always with a smile on their face. The location is superb, right on the edge of town with beaches and mountain walks just a short journey away. The weather was beautiful last weekend and some of the beaches in the area were just incredible with pure white sand and turquoise water. We even had some beaches completely to ourselves. Great advice from the hotel staff got us to all the major sights in the area with minimum fuss and lots of these trips can be taken without a car if you can cycle. The skyroad being one of the highlights.
Lastly I would just like to thank the manager, Ronan for helping us with our dietary needs on one of the nights when we were having a large family meal. None of the restaurants in town were able to accommodate us but Ronan had a quick word with his chef and this was all taken care of in an instant. So any vegans out there take note. The station house is the place to go.
Cant wait to return.

Room Tip: Apartments are an excellent option for families.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank gavind1977
Dear Gavin,

Thank you for your very positive review , I'm delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Clifden Station House Hotel. I have passed your comments onto the team.

We look forward to welcoming you and your family back in the future.

Ronan Fahy,
Seville, Spain
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Location is good and the room was similar, although I fear some people in the car park may be in for regular pleasant/ unpleasant surprises due to the lack of net curtains in the rooms facing it. The spa/ fitness suite was a nice touch, although a little dated.
Breakfast however; a revelation.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Ronan F, General Manager at Clifden Station House, responded to this review, 12 April 2014
Dear Dcc251

Thank you for taking the time to leave feedback following your recent stay with us in the Clifden Station House Hotel.

I am delighted your stay was an enjoyable and breakfast was to a high standard.I do appreciate your comments regarding the net curtains and I will review this with our housekeeping team. My apologies for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

We would love to welcome you back in the future.

Regards,

Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 April 2014

staff very attentive to our needs and extremely courteous and pleasent. We booked this at short notice on a whim and found the staff and accomodation to be first class . The local area very rugged and beatiful and the historical facts most interesting.I would definitely visit again.

• Stayed February 2014
Dear Helenskeea,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review following your recent stay. I'm glad your stay was an enjoyable one and you enjoyed the local scenery..

I will pass your kind comments to my team. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back to Clifden sometime soon!

Regards,

Kells, Ireland
Reviewed 9 April 2014

we stayed two nights at the Clifden station house and found it to be a lovely place to relax
when we arrived the staff were Great and all trough our stay the staff were very nice its a place i would go back to for a few days to relax

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Larry N,

I'm delighted you enjoyed your recent stay in Clifden, I will pass your kind comments to my team.
I look forward to welcoming you back to Clifden very soon.

Kindest Regards,

Lisburn, Northern Ireland
Reviewed 9 April 2014

We spent a Night at the Station House Hotel last December and despite the rainy weather we had a lovely time at the hotel. Would definitely stay there again. The food in the restaurant was good, the service was ok as well. We enjoyed the craic at the bar across from the hotel.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Dear Born Beautiful,

Thank you for your kind review, I'm glad you enjoyed your stay with us in December. I look forward to welcoming you back to the Hotel hopefully in more favorable weather this time !! I'm delighted you enjoyed the atmosphere in the bar!

Kind Regards,

Ronan Fahy.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
#5 of 7 in Clifden
Renvyle House Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle

Been to Clifden Station House? Share your experiences!