“Disappointing.”

Clifden Station House
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My wife booked a two night stay at this hotel a week ago with us due to travel next week but unfortunately her mother passed away suddenly this morning which resulted in her having to cancel.
When I cancelled the booking I was informed that the deposit we had paid was non refundable and in my opinion considering the circumstances of the cancellation I think the attitude of the hotel is harsh and unsympathetic.
I certainly will not make a booking here in the future.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank David M
Ronan F, General Manager at Clifden Station House, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear David,

Firstly we are genuinely sorry to hear of your recent family bereavement. We value our customers and always try and help in times of need.

In relation to your comments, We don't directly charge deposits when taking bookings over the phone or by email. The only deposits are taken online when booking through a 3rd party website, I feel this might have being the case in your situation, however given your circumstances I will ensure your deposit gets refunded. I would ask you to contact me directly at the hotel to get your issue rectified.

I apologies for the circumstances surrounding your complaint and I assure you I will address this on your behalf as soon as you contact me.

Kindest Regards,

Ronan Fahy,
General Manager.
ronan.fahy@clifdenstationhouse.com

There are newer reviews for Clifden Station House

Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Most staff were lovely,basic rooms ideal if your out and about all day swimming pool is handy,should get more indoor leisure lovely surroundings but I wouldn't stay there for more than a week.grand hotel!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Stayed here for a couple of days, Friday and Saturday nights, mid July. For a three star hotel it was well above average. Ate in the restaurant, fish very good, partner had risotto, not so good, seemed to be made with dessert rice and cream! When the waitress took away the plates and asked how the meal was, told her what we thought of the risotto, two minutes later another lady, I presume the restaurant manager, came to the table and apologised. She also gave us a couple of drinks on the house which I thought was really nice.
I saw some criticism of having to queue for a table for breakfast, didn't happen to us. There is a notice in the elevator drawing your attention to the fact that at different times, especially near half ten in the morning, the dining room will be busy. I think if you have an issue with queues, get out of bed a bit earlier!
Breakfast is superb with choices a four star hotel would be hard pushed to provide.
Only real criticism is that when we came down for an aperitif before dinner, a member of staff suggested the library, which has a bar. When we entered the "Library" there was a television on the wall!! What happened to SShhhhh!!
We took our drinks out to the reception area, where the books and newspapers were...?
Note to Hotel: If you have a "Library" get rid of the television, some of us actually like to get away from 24/7 news and sports!!

Room Tip: Do not get a room at the front and centre, you will be over the smoking area which gets noisy at nig...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank paulcDublin
Reviewed 21 July 2014

Just back from a weekend in Clifden Station House Hotel. We were so happy with the hotel that we booked another 3 nights for next month. The staff are the friendliest we have met, so helpful. We ate in the bar and then enjoyed the piano music in the lobby. Pianist is excellent and again, very friendly guy. Breakfast was lovely and not too busy when we ate there around 9 - 9.30 each morning. We visited the leisure centre twice for swimming and the changing rooms etc were nice and clean. Hotel is very central too and only a short stroll to restaurants/shops in clifden. Already looking forward to next month!

Room Tip: we were on the road side for this trip and have requested a room at the front of the hotel for next...
1  Thank NormaOB
Reviewed 18 July 2014

We really enjoyed our stay at the Clifden Station House Hotel en route home from Inishbofin. We were delighted with the spacious and bright bedroom which accommodated us together with our 3 children, and with the wonderful views. A stunning collection of posters for the Great Western Railway supported our pleasure in the history of the area. We also enjoyed the leisure centre. Breakfast was great, with pancakes and chocolate sauce as a big hit!

We were truly welcomed. We will definitely return- soon- if my children have their way!

Room Tip: Upper floors have great views!
1  Thank Andrina W
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Stayed five nights at the Station Hotel.This hotel is in a good location for the town of ClifdenThe rooms are very clean, the staff friendly and the food good,but to take from 7 till 9 to serve a 3 course meal is ridicules,in the end (although our meals were paid for) we had to eat in the station bar at extra cost in order to get a meal in a reasonable time.Also the hotel lounge was full of unruly children climbing over the seating,feet on tables and running and shouting all over the place,it might be school holidays but that's no excuse to just let them spoil other peoples evenings.And if you think your going to get a good nights sleep just wait untill the drunks turn out in the early hours.So if your hoping for a bit of peace and quiet forget it.Was going to give 2 stars but as the hotel itself is very presentable 3 stars

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Stayed here with my 17yr old daughter for a few days while traveling around the galway area .great food and staff ,rooms we'll equipped and clean .monday night had a trad night in the theatre onto the hotel great craic.would stay again when in area .9/10

Room Tip: The road adjacent to the hotel can be noisy in the morning.try get a room on the reception side of t...
1  Thank gary l
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Ardagh Hotel & Restaurant
#5 of 7 in Clifden
Renvyle House Hotel
Renvyle House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Renvyle

Been to Clifden Station House? Share your experiences!