“Disappointing”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
CT, USA
“Disappointing”
Reviewed 3 August 2014 via mobile

We were very excited to visit Conamara and thought this would be a great starting point. The reception staff was helpful, the rooms were large but there was no air conditioning and the windows only opened 2 inches. We were very uncomfortable and the noise outside went well into the night. The shops attached to the hotel were all closed up. Location was good but overall a hot, uncomfortable stay

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank 6inourfamily

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (209)
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We stayed in station house hotel on mid week break last week. Hotel lovely and clean with friendly staff.Rooms were clean and comfortable.Breakfast was lovely and no waiting to be seated but what i did notice at breakfast was a shortage of waiting staff.the girl.that brought us to our table was also cooking pancakes and clearing tables.Food was nice in station pub but would have liked to have seen a choice of potatoes and veg with the food rather then chips with a lot of things. Maybe offer roast beef /roast chicken potates on the menu.There is also a hairdressers in the courtyard which was a great bonus.lovely coffee shop also in courtyard.

1 Thank Sandra C
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 30 July 2014

A new looking hotel but all the stores at street level had gone out of business and after the dismal parade of "For Lease" signs, finally the entrance. Not an impressive introduction but the modern interiors and youthful staff lifted our spirits and we looked forward to checking in and exploring the town full of interesting shops, pubs and restaurants.
Our room was of the disabled access variety which had a lot of quirks but by no means the end of the world! That sensation would arrive during the night when the door slammers returned from the pubs and the legacy of cheap Irish construction ensured a restless night. Room to room acoustics and corridor to room acoustics were the worst we've experienced and although we tried to checkout without a disability the front of house staff attempted to stuff our bill with a supposed dinner. Producing a receipt from a restaurant in town convinced the lad he was
in error and we gladly skipped out of this fabricated blunder .

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank foghornleghorn68
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My husband and I spent two nights at this hotel recently. We found the staff very friendly and efficient. We had a junior suite which was very nice. We had one dinner in the restaurant and it was excellent. The choice for breakfast was very good too. The hotel location was convenient for walking into town which was nice to walk around. Would definitely stay at The Station House again.

Room Tip: If you can get a junior suite.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mary M
Virginia
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This hotel has wonderful amenities but sits on main road into town so we noticed the noise from road to be a bit loud. This hotel is very convenient to town. Neat clean and tidy. We were not displeased but not overwhelmed. Clifden is charming and close to many places to explore. we enjoyed our time in the area! We especially enjoyed our nites in Clifden, the music there is wonderful!

Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 26 July 2014

My family (2kids and 2 adults) stayed 2 nights in hotel and it was lovely. Very family oriented would highly recommend for families. Lovely food for kids and adults. There were four of us and we only booked one room which was compact, next time I would book a connecting room just for space.

Room Tip: We needed a travel cot but I noticed there was no mattress which is a bit hard so I would ask if thi...
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 25 July 2014

My wife booked a two night stay at this hotel a week ago with us due to travel next week but unfortunately her mother passed away suddenly this morning which resulted in her having to cancel.
When I cancelled the booking I was informed that the deposit we had paid was non refundable and in my opinion considering the circumstances of the cancellation I think the attitude of the hotel is harsh and unsympathetic.
I certainly will not make a booking here in the future.

Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank David M
Ronan F, General Manager at Clifden Station House, responded to this review, 26 July 2014
Dear David,

Firstly we are genuinely sorry to hear of your recent family bereavement. We value our customers and always try and help in times of need.

In relation to your comments, We don't directly charge deposits when taking bookings over the phone or by email. The only deposits are taken online when booking through a 3rd party website, I feel this might have being the case in your situation, however given your circumstances I will ensure your deposit gets refunded. I would ask you to contact me directly at the hotel to get your issue rectified.

I apologies for the circumstances surrounding your complaint and I assure you I will address this on your behalf as soon as you contact me.

Kindest Regards,

Ronan Fahy,
General Manager.
ronan.fahy@clifdenstationhouse.com
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Connemara Sands Hotel & Spa
#1 of 1 in Renvyle
Foyles Hotel
Foyles Hotel
#5 of 7 in Clifden

Been to Clifden Station House? Share your experiences!