“Home from home”

Clifden Station House
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Clifden
Reviewed 13 October 2010

Stayed just the one night with family but definitely going back. Connemara/Clifden is a great part of the country and Station house the best base to see it from. Great facilities for kids - pool, cinema and pancakes for breakfast. Good bar, good food, good rooms and great location. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,419)

Reviewed 12 October 2010

The staff were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was tops, lots to eat and hot. we had dinner in the restaurant at night. it was the best sea food I'v had in this country. The old station house bar was fab, it had good food and a good pint. The whole area around the Hotel. ie. the court yard was very interesting, a relaxing place to sit and read the paper. The court yard is surrounded by shops, a railway museum, coffee shop etc. My wife loved the ladies boutique, Design Platform.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2010

Stayed at the Clifden Station Hse for a family weekend break booked via SuperValu Getaway breaks early October with wife, 2 kids and a toddler. I had asked for an (upgrade) appartment for more room with which the hotel obliged (free of charge). Appartment was great, clean, spacious, well maintained, everything you need with a young family. The hotel staff were great, attentive and made the kids feel welcome. The breakfast/dinner menu were good and the kids loved the breakfast crepes. I found the reception staff were busy, friendly, very professional and went out of their way to help which is not a comment I would usually make. The swimming pool was clean, but a wee bit heavy on the chlorine. (Can not comment on gym as I did not use it). We bought the kids for a swim at 6pm knowing that the pool closed at 7 pm (for kids) and got the distinct adverse (even hostile) impression when arriving from a member of the Spa staff that obviously our late timing was not appropiate, very obvious. (shame), we did not bother going back. Lovely part of the country, fantastic scenery, Killary Cruise (do it). The kids had great fun,bow into the wind. The national park was lovely, however when I asked my 12 year old daughter to go to reception for a map of the park, she was advised to go online and get one ???. (I suppose it was free entry ). Kylemore Abbey worth a visit. On checkout I got a voucher as existing customer for 3nights B/B and two dinner (midweek) for €109 p/p and you just pay the kids meals, One of the better deals I have come across in a while Overall this review is on the Station hotel and fair dues to the Man City fan working there.
Yes I would recommend this hotel to a friend

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank johnf09
Reviewed 5 October 2010

We just spent a great weekend at the Station house.
A great hotel with spotless rooms, excellent food and warm and friendly staff who
really made us feel at home It was our first time to stay here but definately not the last.
Ireland needs more hotels like this.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 October 2010

had a lovely stay in the station house hotel last week. we were made feel at home from arrival. hotel facilities brilliant, Restaurent was fab.and a word of thanks to Kathleen O Malley, she is a lovely person and a great ambassador for the hotel. Thanks to Barry the pianist on Thursday night 30th.We really enjoyed the playing and the gab. we will return.
Billy and Mary Maher Tipperary.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 September 2010

I was disappointed given the other reviews on trip advisor. The staff were lovely but the hotel is very 70's and the sofa bed and camp bed in the family room were not comfortable. The worse thing was the food - 2 dinners were included and we could not bring ourselves to eat there the second night. Gordon Ramsey would have a field day! Still to be fair some other guests seemed to like it. I can only think they don't get out much. I particulary object to reheated over-cooked vegtables in a white sauce (including cabbage) served with yet more cabbage - would plain carrots or beans have been too hard? I didn't even try and get the kids to eat any. We didn't venture into the pool having been nearly knocked out by the smell of chlorine at the doorway. Sorry, I wanted to really like this hotel because it does have a nice atmosphere and as I mentioned the staff were great. A lot of updating of the decor and the food and it would be wonderful.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
ClifdenStationHouse, General Manager at Clifden Station House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 October 2010

Dear Leavingarchie ,
Thank you for your review and please accept my sincere apologies for the poor food experience. We pride ourselves on producing top class cuisine and my Head Chef will be dissappointed to learn we did not meet our normally high standards. I appreciate the positive elements you mentioned namely the team who all work hard to make sure our customers enjoy their stay. Rest assured you views are very important to us and have been taken on board to esure we can improve our overall expereince for the customer.
Kind Regards,
Wilson Bird

Reviewed 21 September 2010

Nice hotel, staff very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was really nice.. dinner menu not the greatest.. had a spinach pancake and it was not nice. Parking is a bit tight, not that many spaces. I would go back here, can't comment on the value as it was a free stay (won on radio). clifden was great craic though with great live music in all the bars.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Clifden
Abbeyglen Castle Hotel
Foyles Hotel
Foyles Hotel
#5 of 7 in Clifden
Ballynahinch Castle Hotel

Been to Clifden Station House? Share your experiences!