“What a wonderful stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clifden
Dolphin Beach House
Ranked #9 of 45 Clifden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I just loved our stay here. I made friends with a horse, I called him "white horse,"- very creative, I know. And he is a bold friend who will want to frolic with you if you come to visit him in the fields nearby. All joking aside... My friend and I were traveling through the area and stayed here for 2 nights. They were a highlight of our trip and we did not want to leave.

The views are spectacular (we had an ocean view room on the 2nd floor). The rooms are comfortable and spacious. The bathrooms were well equipped, clean and lovely. For breakfast the proprietor, Clodagh, was a breath of fresh air with lots of extremely yummy options. Clodagh was so helpful and sweet that we just wanted to pack her up and take her with us. We just loved her!

This B&B is located just outside of Clifden town. It is close enough that you can walk in (2-3 miles). But you may want to take your car as the way back does not provide a sidewalk, good night time lighting, or a flat even walk after dark. My friend and I had just climbed Croagh Patrick for the first time, so we were completely exhausted and needed to take it a bit easy on our legs. We drove into town and parked behind the vistors center, and took a taxi back.

This was a wonderful place the just relax and enjoy the Connemara/ Galway region. I will not soon forget our stay or all the amazing people we met. Did I already say- we never wanted to leave!?!

Room Tip: Stay here, you will not be dissappointed. Sea view rooms are well worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JB AC B

Reviewed 10 June 2013

A friend and I stayed here for 2 nights on a recent trip to Ireland. The house is simply gorgeous with a beautiful view of the bay. Wildflowers and green hills make the location very picturesque.

Clodagh Foyle was very warm and hospitable and the daily breakfast was delicious. She had very good suggestions about where to spend our time while we were in the area and she genuinely cared about whether we were having a good time.

The rooms are clean and spacious with wonderful views of the either the garden or the bay. The ensuite was equally clean and spacious and even had soap and shampoo samples--a nice touch. The bed was quite comfortable.

We had left our car in town one evening and had taken a taxi back to the house. The next morning, Clodagh inquired of another guest to give us a lift back to town, which the guest graciously did. I thought it was just wonderful that everyone was so willing to help out another guest.

The house itself is located about a 5 minute drive out of town. If you drive into town and plan on enjoying the nightlife, a taxi back is about 10 euro and there's a free car park behind the visitor's centre. Even if you go easy on the pints, the road back is narrow and winding and may be difficult to maneuver in the dark. I personally drove it one night on the way back to the house and I didn't have any trouble.

We enjoyed ourselves so much, that we were trying to find a way to stay another night in the area when it came time to leave. This truly was one of the highlights of our trip and I know I'll be back again.

Room Tip: The White Lady room has an amazing view of the bay.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank SandsLVT
Reviewed 6 June 2013 via mobile

Clodagh Foley continues a family tradition of gracious and warm hospitality. We could not have dreamed of a more perfect venue, perched above the bay, 10 minutes from Clifden centre. Spectacular views, great and hearty Irish breakfast ( and if you are lucky Clodagh will be serving dinner ( call ahead). The rooms are spic-and-span, comfy, very nicely decorated. We stayed three nights and set out on adventures each day: Could have stayed a week! Recommended most highly!

• Stayed: June 2013
2  Thank jbenherman
Reviewed 29 April 2013

Spent 4 days based in Connemara and anchored here at this beautiful guesthouse in Clifden. Not only did we get everything we were expecting but when my tripod broke I was given access to the basement and tools to put my overworked tripod back together. Great Breakfast overlooking the bay with the best breakfast view I ever had. Speaking with all the smiling guests in the morning you know they were enjoying this rare treat. Will be back.

Room Tip: Do not pass this if you are staying in this area of south connemara.
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank mark g
Reviewed 14 March 2013

The incredible location of this beautifully appointed bed and breakfast couldn't be more picturesque! With access to a lovely garden, pasture and ever-changed ocean, the all "rooms with a view" setting of Dolphin Beach House ranked as our favorite stay in Ireland. The breakfast room has gorgeous views of the pastoral and ocean scenery, and the meal was beautifully prepared and served by the lovely Clodagh. The "help yourself" pastries/breads, fruits and cereals were as tasty as visually appetizing. Great coffee too! Our room had a fabulous view, was nicely appointed, clean and comfortable. Common areas are beautiful and classy as well. We also heard the best and most accessible music in Clifden at J. Conneely's Bar. We only wished we had planned more time in Clifden. We took one day and visited the Kylemore Abby with it's walled gardens - A Must on your travel plans for the County Connemara.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank fpigge
Reviewed 14 November 2012

At first glance we thought we were somewhere else - this B&B is painted in very Tuscan/Mexican colours - quite unusual for the west Irish coast! But Dolphin Beach is very good - our room was very large as was the bathroom [maybe a bit more bench space could have made things a llittle easier for our toiletries - but not a real draw back], and the view from our room was of rural and coastal lansdscapes - very relaxing and stunning, particularly if the sun was out.
The meals [breakfast and dinner] were exactly what you would expect of a high class B&B and there was all day coffee etc available. We went for a walk around the property and along the cliff tops - all very spectatular and peaceful. Our hosts were very accommodating and were available when needed.
The road from Clifden gets a bit "hairy" in spots but it is sealed and has limited local traffic. A GPS will make finding the place a little easier - most "gems" are off the beaten track anyway!
Dolphin Beach was one of four B&B;s we stayed in during our trip and was equal to the other two we considered excellent places at very reasonable prices. If peace and quiet, coupled with a great place to stay, are pre-requisistes for travellers along the west coast, this place should be considered - very recommendable!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Peter B
Reviewed 13 November 2012

My wife and I are regular visitors to north Connemara and it amazes me that I had not stayed at Dolphin Beach until recently. This is a beautiful country house hotel, but with only a handful of rooms and so it is much more the country house than a hotel. Hospitality was excellent, very welcoming, helpful, not overly intrusive. The hospitality we received was both warm and genuine.

The room was very large and comfortable, with plenty of space to move about, sitting area, large en-suite bathroom with excellent bath and shower hotness. The bed was a six foot wide sleigh bed, very comfortable (from which you could look out to the sea). Our room was decorated in a classic style with carefully selected antique furniture. The views from this property are just terrific and our room had large sliding doors facing the sea so we could walk straight out into the gardens. Do a google search for "Sky road Clifden" and you will immediately see the great views to be had from Sky road generally, and this property is located on the sea-side of the lower Sky Road, hence a short walk down to its own private beach. On the second morning of our stay, we had just finished breakfast in the lovely breakfast room overlooking the Atlantic, when we saw two porpoises feeding outside the beach cove. I managed to catch only their fins with my camera phone (see pic of bay, tips visible right near waterline to left of rocky outcrop) but we clearly saw them in the water. The name of the hotel is no accident, then! By the time we walked down to the water line they had moved on but it certainly made for a memorable experience.

The house in general is very comfortable, with several different sitting areas for guests to lounge comfortably and pick up a book to delve into. Clodagh might just appear out of nowhere with a mug of team and a dozen biscuits and you are lost for the afternoon, undisturbed with a book and the sea views. There are stove fires everywhere. We stayed three weekends ago and my overridding memory now is of blissful peace and the earthy smell of a turf fire. I think the highest compliment I can pay is that my wife said it was the best place we have ever stayed in Ireland. Coming from my wife, that's very high praise indeed. I will readily recommend this gem of a hotel, for me it far exceeds the others that I have stayed in the area. Its a small hotel so its a different kind of experience.

Other issues: it is between 5 - 10 minutes drive from Clifden. That's either a short drive or a three-mile walk along the famous Sky road. It is pretty easy to find. If you have got this far on Trip Advisor you will have learned that Clifden itself is a three hour drive from Dublin. 2 hours of that is motorway and the last hour out from Galway is through a dramatic, unfolding landscape where you might have to dodge the odd sheep here and there. Well worth the trip.

This is not a big hotel at all, it is instead a country house so don't expect a bar / restaurant on demand, although at breakfast time on both mornings we were invited to book dinner that evening. We didnt take it up this time but certainly will next year.

Room Tip: There are only a handful of rooms and we were offered a choice so ask if you can take a look at them...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple