“Great Irish Hospitality!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Clifden
Dolphin Beach House
Ranked #10 of 45 Clifden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 20 July 2013

Five years ago on our 40th wedding anniversary we stayed at the beautiful Dolphin Beach House B&B and loved it. It was our first time staying in Clifden, a town where my mother had lived for part of her childhood, and which we enjoyed. This time we didn't hesitate to return and were surprised and delighted to be given an upgrade to the room we'd had last time, the Peacock Room, for our three night stay in May 2013. Clodagh greeted us and offered us tea right away, which was greatly appreciated after a long drive. She was friendly, down to earth, and extremely accommodating, while also providing excellent meals. The large pancake, really a crepe, was a welcome change from so many days of eggs, which were also offered. Dinner was excellent and geared to our tastes.

The drive into Clifden is narrow and high but my husband got used to it quickly. This time we took the opportunity to drive beyond the hotel on the way back and the views are even more spectacular especially at sunset. The B&B is very clean and well decorated with some light wood furniture (some made by the family) and white bed linens, always a plus in my opinion, while also being very warm.

We were sad to leave and then, when we returned to the US, we discovered that our camera case with memory card showing photos of our visits with my relatives, etc. was missing. At first the car rental company thought they had it. When I followed up, it turned up that they had been mistaken. Then I emailed every place we'd stayed where it could have been and, thank God, Clodagh emailed back that someone had turned it in and, of course, they didn't know who it belonged to. I immediately knew that she would handle the situation efficiently, which she did, and in the end sent the case without charging me the 4 euros it cost for postage.

We normally don't write reviews but Dolphin Beach House is a B&B that we hope to return to as long as we take trips to Ireland - and hope that Clodagh is there to take care of us once more.

Mary

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mary b

Reviewed 14 July 2013

This is one of those hotel 'finds' that are so exceptional you think hard before sharing. The charm of Dolphin Beach House unfolds slowly but surely. The location is superb, on the coast of the evocatively-named Lower Sky Road, ten minutes' drive from Clifden. The house itself consists of an old stone cottage cleverly extended to incorporate nine (I think) guest rooms, all but one of which has a sea view. Five open directly onto a terrace and have their own distinctive chunky wood furniture outside for sitting, gazing and thinking about nothing much. If you come from London, you'd describe Dolphin Beach House it as a 'chic boutique B&B' and expect to pay three times as much as the published room rate. The rooms are large and attractively stylish, all wood and light-coloured fabrics, sparklingly clean, and flooded with Connemara light which can be blue-dazzling with sunshine or dulled with sea mist: both are beautiful. This is the West of Europe, after all, and the mist rolls in from the Atlantic -- but can lift as fast it came if you are lucky. The rooms have elegant wood floors and comfortable hand-crafted beds with exquisite linen, carefully-chosen random but interesting pieces of furniture including in our room a chaise longue, two soft easy chairs and a coffee table, a vintage screen, two antique chests, lots of lovely lamps and fascinating prints, paintings and books. Our bathroom was large with both bath and walk-in shower. The highlight of Dolphin Beach House, however, is the 'vibe' created by the Foyle family, and in particular by Clodagh, who combines relaxed friendliness with extreme professionalism and a brisk efficiency. Clodagh has been described by another reviewer as slightly eccentric: my Irish husband would say she was simply the best of Irish, while I would describe her as the ideal hostess - highly intelligent and knowledgeable, thoughtful and amusing. She and her smiling colleagues prepare a wonderful breakfast, cook a mean dinner of fresh produce most evenings, light you a fire if there's a chill in the air, are always on hand with trays of coffee or tea, and somehow manage to clean the place from top to bottom each day without ever disturbing anyone. But what we would return for, above all, are the magnificent views and walks from the house. From every room, including the dining room and sitting room, you can see the tiny sandy cove (where the brave can bathe), the sweep of the bay and on to the wide Atlantic. The exhilarating walk along the cliffs from the house provides some of the most spectacular cliff scenery in Europe, with colourful rocks, caves and tunnels, and seas that range from gentle to tumultuous. This is a wonderful, special place, with people to match -- and very good craic in Clifden's many pubs if you want further evidence. It is not the place for those seeking entertainment, noise and bustle, (no TVs in bedrooms, for example) but if you want beauty, peace, comfort, warmth and kindness, make the journey to Clifden and then on to Dolphin Beach House. If its magic affects you as it did us, you may start to believe that perhaps heaven DOES exist, and that you have found it.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank SusanSturrock
Reviewed 14 July 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights: The house is in a very cute location, with its own small pebbly beach. The house itself is spotlessly clean. The hosts, in particular Clodagh, are very friendly and welcoming, we felt like we were sincerely welcome and she was exceptionally kind and helpful. The breakfasts are absolutely super! I highly recommend this place.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank thzurich
Reviewed 30 June 2013

This B & B was our first stop on our first visit to Ireland. Our hostess was welcoming and allowed us to check in early. The rooms were wonderful and the views, especially from the dining area, were even better. Location was easy to find, but one lane road made us wish it was closer to town.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Maggimcc3
Reviewed 16 June 2013

We stayed here for one night on a recent trip around this part of Ireland and would definitely stay again. The setting is wonderful and the welcome was warm. Our room was very impressive with excellent attention to detail. We called in advance so were able to order an evening meal which was a good move as we couldn't really see any other options locally. Breakfast was great with an excellent choice served in a dining area overlooking sea views. All in all a ver memorable stay.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Happytraveller08
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I just loved our stay here. I made friends with a horse, I called him "white horse,"- very creative, I know. And he is a bold friend who will want to frolic with you if you come to visit him in the fields nearby. All joking aside... My friend and I were traveling through the area and stayed here for 2 nights. They were a highlight of our trip and we did not want to leave.

The views are spectacular (we had an ocean view room on the 2nd floor). The rooms are comfortable and spacious. The bathrooms were well equipped, clean and lovely. For breakfast the proprietor, Clodagh, was a breath of fresh air with lots of extremely yummy options. Clodagh was so helpful and sweet that we just wanted to pack her up and take her with us. We just loved her!

This B&B is located just outside of Clifden town. It is close enough that you can walk in (2-3 miles). But you may want to take your car as the way back does not provide a sidewalk, good night time lighting, or a flat even walk after dark. My friend and I had just climbed Croagh Patrick for the first time, so we were completely exhausted and needed to take it a bit easy on our legs. We drove into town and parked behind the vistors center, and took a taxi back.

This was a wonderful place the just relax and enjoy the Connemara/ Galway region. I will not soon forget our stay or all the amazing people we met. Did I already say- we never wanted to leave!?!

Room Tip: Stay here, you will not be dissappointed. Sea view rooms are well worth it!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank JB AC B
Reviewed 10 June 2013

A friend and I stayed here for 2 nights on a recent trip to Ireland. The house is simply gorgeous with a beautiful view of the bay. Wildflowers and green hills make the location very picturesque.

Clodagh Foyle was very warm and hospitable and the daily breakfast was delicious. She had very good suggestions about where to spend our time while we were in the area and she genuinely cared about whether we were having a good time.

The rooms are clean and spacious with wonderful views of the either the garden or the bay. The ensuite was equally clean and spacious and even had soap and shampoo samples--a nice touch. The bed was quite comfortable.

We had left our car in town one evening and had taken a taxi back to the house. The next morning, Clodagh inquired of another guest to give us a lift back to town, which the guest graciously did. I thought it was just wonderful that everyone was so willing to help out another guest.

The house itself is located about a 5 minute drive out of town. If you drive into town and plan on enjoying the nightlife, a taxi back is about 10 euro and there's a free car park behind the visitor's centre. Even if you go easy on the pints, the road back is narrow and winding and may be difficult to maneuver in the dark. I personally drove it one night on the way back to the house and I didn't have any trouble.

We enjoyed ourselves so much, that we were trying to find a way to stay another night in the area when it came time to leave. This truly was one of the highlights of our trip and I know I'll be back again.

Room Tip: The White Lady room has an amazing view of the bay.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends