“great stay”

Clifden Town Hostel
Southampton, United Kingdom
“great stay”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

Lovely family hostel, clean ani nice rooms, nice location, friendly staff and fully equipped kitchen, with free tea and coffee...

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Reviewed 2 June 2012

Stayed 2 nights with my wife and 9 year old daughter. This is a wierd place. The kitchen is a joke. It is so small it is totally inoperable with more than 2 people in it. I wish I'd taken some photo's. The dinning room is not much better given the size of the hostel. The owner Sean is eccentric to say the least. My first encounter with him was in the evening in the lounge - he bowls up to me and with no introduction demands to know what I've had for dinner..bewildered and presuming this agitated person to be a looney I stammer a reply and watch him accost the next person with the same question. Turns out he is the owner and is trying to track the person responsible for some dirty dishes left in the kitchen. And after dogged pursuit he was successful in his quest! Be warned! To be fair, he was quite helpful to us during our stay and I chatted with him several times and he was OK to talk to.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Issoire, France
Reviewed 17 September 2011

A bit noisy and dirty, even if you are in the centre of Clifden. The bathrooms miss intimity and are not very cleaned. Possible to have full irish breakfast at the bakery near the hostel. The bedrooms are not very cleaned (it smells humidity). But it's a nice place to meet other people who spend their holidays

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 7 July 2011

The hostel:
-No Internet (owner said fees off the pub across the street for free wifi, not cool)
-No locks (security was a joke, front door left open, our dorm door didn't even latch properly and had no lock)
-Showers are cold (ice water type of cold)
-Kitchen is good (fair supply of cooking utensils of pots pans plates etc)
-Common area was good but should get comfortable furniture
-Very small eating area
-No TV or Internet makes things dull, he didn't have any games as alternative
-Beds were Terribly uncomfortable!

The owner:
I found the owner Sean to be rude and arrogant. He wasn't at the hostel when I got off the bus (along with 6 others, not in my party) so we were made to wait for over 20 mins for him. When he showed up he was rude and pushy. In the morning he came into our room at 9am! I was barely awake, laying up in bed speaking with a few girls. One of the girls was changing with her top off and he just bust open the door to come in and change the beds! With locks and some basi decency from the owner he shouldn't have come in. He was constantly in and out of my dorm all day. He has his youn nephews working for him so be prepares to see a little boy cleaning the ladies toilets. Very weird, I didn't like this hostel, I didn't like the owner (he also snapped at me after I respectfully adresses him as 'Sir'), I would definitely NOT recommend this hostel to anyone!

• Stayed July 2011
2 Thank Youngtraveler19
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 5 April 2011

I staid there a few days ago, a week before it gets busy. It was quiet when I was there as it just opened.
The owner is great. He is concerned about any wish you have and he really cares. He runs home to get you an Internet broadband stick, etc. It feels like this hostel really is his gem.
When I arrived there was a sign to call for assistance. I did and he told me which room I could store my luggage. As I came a little early my room wasn't ready yet. When I came back from little walk I found the owner kneeing on the floor to vacuum the corners around my bed (I got an awesome bed - not a bunk bed).

The hostel was super clean, comfy carpet everywhere (you're gonna feel bad running around with your outside shoes). The sitting area is super nice and cozy.

Alas, there is no steady internet connection. If you have luck you can catch up on a neighbour's. If you travel alone and the weather isn't great there is nothing really to do as there is no TV nor permanent Internet connection so make sure you bring a book or a DVD for your Laptop to enjoy a holiday in a comfortable, clean hostel to relax.
17 Euros/night during the week without breakfast isn't really the cheapest way to travel and get around.

Besides, the rooms don't have anything to lock and he is not there 24hours so, valuable items rather be carried around I suppose

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank roadishome
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 28 October 2010

Great hostel.Very homey atmosphere.Very friendly people. Cozy, quiet and clean. Perfect location for exploring Clifden's bars and pubs. Great value for money.
We've been there twice already and we will definitely be back there again :)

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Wissenkerke, The Netherlands
Reviewed 28 September 2010

The basics are good here: clean, good beds, good showers and kitchens. The service and friendlyness of the people working here make it a super place to stay! Allways time for a chat or for your questions. Good knowledge of the environment: thanks to several nice tips I experienced beautifull quiet parts of the Connemara. I'm not used to visit the same place twice in my holydays, but this will be the first exeption. I hope next year.
Nelly