“Lovely food”

Cuisines: Irish
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Been here a number of times over the years, always good food and service, located centrally in Clifden

Reviewed 30 March 2013

We tried Off the Square as it was Good Friday and all the pubs were closed. We wanted pub food with a pint, but we ended up with average cafe food and coke served by someone who I guess was the owner. He seemed angry and didn't smile the whole time, he worked very hard and leaked quite a bit. I understand things are tough for businesses and he wants to do as much as possible but I don't understand why he had a girl cleaning an empty part of the cafe at the back. The food was eaten but I wish I had bought some mince and potatoes and made a cottage pie at the cottage and served it with a beer.

Reviewed 17 March 2013

A mom and her 2 children are seating in front of me enjoying their lunch. I came Bach here because they serve one of the best seafood chowders.

Reviewed 3 March 2013

Gorgeous tasty food served by very friendly engaged staff. I have been celebrating my birthday for a week so simply ordered fish/ n chips. What a treat! The batter was nearly as fine as filo pastry. The cod was exquisite- obviously very very fresh! My husband had the scallops - fabulous.
Will be back.

Reviewed 21 January 2013

Having tried most of Clifden's excellent restaurants a few years ago, we'd found this to be the best.

Now it's not quite so good. It's got much the same menu, but the quality has declined.
The service has become very shoddy too, where previously it was flawless. I have to agree that Off The Square is decidedly pricey now.

Others must disagree, though, as it was packed ! Here's hoping it's back to it's old self next time we're in Clifden.