“Saved my favorite place for last!”
Review of Hillside Lodge

and 1 more site!
Hillside Lodge
Ranked #4 of 45 Clifden B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 June 2013

We found this place on Trip Advisor and made reservations for two nights. When Ruth showed us to our room, and I opened our window to the sounds of the sheep bleating and the view of the water in the distance, I asked my husband why we should move on. And that was before we went into town to have a great supper listening to great music and before we slept in our comfy bed and before we went to our wonderful breakfast the next morning. Thankfully we were able to arrange for an additional two nights. We simply used this location as a home base for day trips in every direction, including a ferry ride to an island. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. . .nothing was lacking, and if it were, I could have asked for it. Can you tell this was the best part and perfect ending to three weeks in three different countries? Thank you, Ruth and helpers, for great hospitality.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Katherine B

Reviewed 25 June 2013

My husband and I recently stayed with Ruth, and I have to say that Hillside Lodge is the best B&B we've ever stayed at. I can't say enough good things about this place! It was clean and contemporary and in a great location. Breakfast was amazing, and there were lots of options. There were packets in the room with attractions nearby, and Clifden Castle is a short walk away.
The hallways are pretty much a musical museum, as Stuart has played with lots of amazing artists. Ruth is very friendly and welcoming as well. Stay at this place; you won't regret it.

1  Thank alainasims
Reviewed 25 June 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights in June and enjoyed our stay very much. We had the Beatles room, which is very stylish, spacious and a real gem with a great view. Breakfast was delicious with different choices every day. Clifden is about 15min walk away and easy to get to, the town offers nice pubs and restaurants. The surrounding of the B&B is lovely and the location is quiet and perfect for daytrips. Parking is possible in front of the house. Thanks for your hospitality & cheers!

Reviewed 23 June 2013

Ruth was a wonderful host and her home is full of personal touches that make Hillside Lodge truly unique. If you are a musician or love music, you will especially love the unique memorabilia that lines the walls of the upstairs. Breakfast in the morning was excellent and the rooms were spacious, very clean, and the beds were extremely comfortable.

I disagree with other reviewers that Hillside Lodge's location on Sky Road is a downside. Sky Road is a beautiful, scenic route that tourists specifically travel to Clifden to see. What is even better is that Ruth offers complimentary bicycles for rent for her guests, which gave us the opportunity to take a short morning ride to one of the Sky Road's greatest vistas.

We also enjoyed the local sheep grazing across the way from Hillside Lodge, though I will warn future guests that they can get loud during the night. My husband and I found it charming, but if you are a very light sleeper, it could pose a problem.

2  Thank Caroline L
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Stay here. You won't regret it. That's all you really need to know!

Hillside Lodge, though a little bit difficult to find, is the most thoughtfully and professionally run B&B I've ever stayed in. The word 'bespoke' seems to be overused, but it is truly the perfect word to describe this place. Every detail is extremely artful and well thought-out, from the information folder down to the interesting rock music theme, coffee table books, and electric space-heaters that are provided. So much time, money, and planning has gone into decorating this place. Our bed was very comfortable, it was quiet, and the breakfast was above and beyond. Our bed was even made and the trash emptied after the first night, which I find does not always happen at B&Bs. No TVs in the rooms and we had no cell phone reception, but we hardly noticed with the fast wifi. We actually weren't too put out when the weather turned horrendous - we just stayed in the room all afternoon and were perfectly happy and comfortable! Ruth and Stuart are real pros.

The location is great, as well - a beautiful view of the area out front, a short drive into Clifden village (which is absolutely charming with plenty of good pubs and truly high-quality restaurants), 15 minutes to the Connemara National Park visitors center and 30 minutes to Kylemore Abbey.

This is a must-stay B&B in a must-see area! Best value for money EVER!

Room Tip: We were in room 5, which is under the eaves of the house, so maybe not great for tall people. Fine f...
Reviewed 9 June 2013

That was wonderful ! Ruth was a great host for our trip, very careful to any of our needs and wills.
We took the deluxe room, it was very beautiful, with a lot of features such as corkscrew, glasses, umbrella...

The breakfast was so tasty ! The poached egg was perfect !

We can trust her for her advices...

You'll be pleased to be awake by sheeps !

Room Tip: Take the deluxe room ! (only 80€)
Reviewed 10 May 2013

My sister and I made a last-minute reservation in March at the Hillside Lodge and could not have been more happy with our experience! We actually were the only guests that evening, I believe (early in the season and the weather was bad). Ruth and Stuart were very warm and welcoming and the room was darling. Breakfast was delicious (loved Ruth's housemade muesli!) and the breakfast room was so charming! Ruth has wonderful taste--we took lots of pictures because we just loved her style!

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled with friends