“This was an excellent start to our road trip across Ireland!”
Review of Clifden Castle

Clifden Castle
Book In Advance
More Info
US$48.39*
and up
Wild Atlantic Way Self-Guided Bike Tour from...
Ranked #7 of 34 things to do in Clifden
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Im not entirely sure about the previous reviews stating it's not worth it and dangerous. It was one of my favorites! We had no problems locating the entrance to the road that leads down to the castle. We parked near the dumpster situated across the street from the entrance on sky road. Signs stated no dogs or cars past the stone arch gate. It was quite an easy walk downhill to the castle (saw bikers go down the same road on our way up). Although wet and muddy pretty much the entire way as it had been raining (Hello Ireland!), the trail/road is well established. The castle was accessible when we visited last week. We were able to get in and walk around without too much issue, do watch your footing and be aware of your surroundings. We did not have any concerns for our safety. This was definitely worth the 15-ish minute muddy walk down to the site.

2  Thank Floriae
"irish countryside"
in 4 reviews
"worth the short walk"

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Seems a hotch-potch of many differing architectural styles and periods. Not developed enough for tourism. Couldn't find this Grotto they talk about.

Reviewed 22 May 2014

You can see the castle from the sky road. Go through the gatehouse and down the track but it has many potholes ( full of water when we were there). Even so, it is dangerous and you can't go in.

Reviewed 21 April 2014

This castle was part of my day's journey through Clifden and despite not being able to find the entrance, I was determined to see it. I drove through town to the Harbor, parked there, and climbed a few fences to get to the castle. It was a gorgeous seaside walk on a beautiful day. I took lots of pictures and when I was almost ready to leave, I ran into the owner of the castle. He informed me that it was private property and they fenced off the castle from the public to keep anyone from getting hurt as the interior walls are collapsing.

I chatted with him for a few minutes about how beautiful the castle was and how many details have remained on the outer walls. He informed me of the family history of the castle, which was originally built by John D'Arcy who lived in the castle until his death in 1839. His son inherited the castle then went bankrupt, so it was then purchased by the Eyre family. The land was eventually distributed back to the heirs of the family, all of whom currently reside around the castle area.

I thoroughly enjoyed my visit to the castle and my chat with the owner. If you're in the area it is definitely worth taking a look at this magnificent structure.

2  Thank Werewolf82
See more reviews
Reviewed 14 April 2014

We had a nice walk down to the castle and were able to walk around inside. There are no signs or information on the castle itself so I do not know the history. If it's raining, or has been raining, it will be muddy and possibly very muddy! There are occasional standing stones along the path as you walk down so you know you're on the right track.

I thought the small, reddish stone gate up top was just someone's idea of a fancy driveway, but our B&B innkeepers said it was rebuilt from ruins by people who lived near the castle. I have no idea if that's true, but the gate up the hill is charming to look at, just don't miss the more interesting castle below. It's probably a ten minute walk (all downhill) to get to the castle. The walk back up is a little more challenging!

You do have to park up top (just off the Sky Road), do NOT take the gravel drive down to the castle, that is a footpath and there are no turn arounds or pull outs!

1  Thank WhatDianesReading