“Great music, atmosphere and staff”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Vaughan's

Vaughan's
Ranked #27 of 33 Restaurants in Clifden
Cuisines: Irish, Bar, European, Pub
Good for: Bar Scene
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Runcorn, United Kingdom
“Great music, atmosphere and staff”
Reviewed 2 August 2014

We came back late from Galway Races and came here for a meal.
The music drew us to this bar - it was great and the staff, in particular a young dark haired boy and the manager were really friendly.
Although my fish and chips was okay and my husband's pastry on his steak pie was a bit soft.
The staff were so nice that we didn't like to complain and we think it could've have been a one off experience.

Visited August 2014

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Very disappointing.”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

In a town awash with restaurants and bars, you'd be very unlucky to find one with worse food than this. My wife's fish and chips were dry and looked to have come straight from the deep freeze. My Irish stew - the house specialty - had a passable taste of lamb but was ruined by the presence of chunks of raw carrot and uncooked pearl barley and split peas.

• Visited June 2014
2 Thank Neil T
Kansas City, Missouri
“Came for the music, stayed for the food”
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We were looking for someplace that had live traditional music earlier in the evening as we were traveling with our kids and were in bed about the time most places get rolling. Vaughn's had music at 6:30 several nights during the week, I think Tue, Wed and Thur. We went once and had a drink at the bar while enjoying the music. The next night we came back for dinner and music. The food was pretty good and we all enjoyed the staff. I would go there again if I am ever in Clifden again.

Visited June 2014
Dublin
“Disaster of disasters”
Reviewed 16 June 2014

I seldom if ever write a poor review but I have to say I'm doing this to save some others the misfortune! We ate here on Saturday evening - 3 adults and 2 kids. Very simple menu, place looked very cute and clean from the outside. We ordered 'beer battered fish' and chips - with which you 'd think you couldn't make a mistake - WRONG. What we were served can only be described as shameful - it may well HAVE been beer battered ( at some stage during the course of the day - but I think it might have been double dipped ) it was so overdone the batter literally fell off the dried up/overcooked fish. Awful - plain awful- If this happened in a restaurant in Dublin we'd have kicked up some serious hassle! Service was poor - there was one poor man who was running the 'bistro' , the bar & probably over cooking the fish in the kitchen! Then to top it all - they don't take cards- just cash !!!!! Great in a village that has two ATMs - neither of which was working! Such a shame as we were staying in a lovely Guest house and passed lots of other lovely places to eat & we ended up chosing the WRONG one!

Visited June 2014
3 Thank MadameMop
“What a great find!”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

We came upon Vaughan's after looking for a recommended restaurant in Clifden (which turned out to be out of business) and liked the look of the menu, so decided to give it a try. We expected basic pub fare, but were very pleasantly surprised by the excellent cuisine, service, and atmosphere. My husband has the seafood chowder, which was nothing short of superb; he commented that he had never had so much seafood, and such variety, before. My cheese appetizer was also incredibly delicious.We both had a very nice fried cod dinner special.

We had such a good meal that we went back the next evening. I had the chowder and my husband had tha calamari appetizer YUM. Then we weny traditional with the Irish stew, made with lamb, and Guinness and beef pie in a crust with vegetables and served with fries. Of course, being in Ireland, we both had a pint of Guinness each evening.

I had hoped to sample their desserts, but was so very full that we just couldn't manage anything else. We enjoyed the relaxed, homey atmosphere, good food, good music and nice company of the other patrons. We expect to return to this family run restaurant the next time we visit Ireland and highly recommend it!

• Visited May 2014