“Very welcoming and friendly”
Review of Kingstown House

Kingstown House
Oxfordshire, United Kingdom
“Very welcoming and friendly”
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Jim was painting the outside of the property when we arrived, Regina welcomed us and Jim carried our cases upstairs. The property is very central to Clifden and restaurants and pubs/bars, however our room was not noisy as it was at the back of the house. Breakfast was made to order and quite extensive.
My mother in law had asked us to bring a loaf of soda bread back from Ireland and on asking where the nearest bakery was where I may purchase a loaf Regina offered to bake the loaf as she was baking anyway!
Thank you Regina and Jim for a lovely stay in Clifden

Room Tip: Let Regina and Jim know exactly what you want
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank LongTallJ

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed 11 June 2011

The Kingstown House is centrally located in the heart of Clifden. Easy to walk to anywhere in town. It is run by Jim, an American, and his Irish born wife, Regina. I believe it has been in her family for a number of years. They were both great and the breakfast was excellent. Personally, I felt the rooms needed some brightening and sprucing up, but my wife loved it. Our room was big, the beds comfortable and overall clean. We had a great night listening to music in one of the local pubs which was in easy walking distance. There is on street parking at the doorstep.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
Cape May, New Jersey
Reviewed 15 May 2011

I decided to stay in Clifden spur of the moment and wandered into the 1st B&B that I came upon. My Irish luck must have been running high because the Kingstown was everything I would want in a B&B. Regina & Jim are genuinely friendly hosts and made me feel very welcome. As others have stated, I don't think anything would be too much trouble for them. Exceptionally nice people.

My room was spacious, clean, tastefully decorated, and the bed was more comfortable than the one I have at home. Slept like a baby. Free WiFi with a strong signal. Roomy shower with plenty of pressure & hot water. I did not use the sitting room but it looked nice and homey. The breakfast room is done up with tables covered with white linens & folded white napkins just like a restaurant. The full Irish is available if you want it. I was happy with cereal, fruit, oj, tea, & toast.

There is free & plentiful parking along Bridge Street. My 2nd night I was able to park directly across from the front door. The location is central to all pubs and restaurants in the small, charming town of Clifden. There is a laundry service just up the street which will deliver your clothes to the B&B. Sky Rd, Kylemore Abbey, and Connemara NP are all a short drive away. Croagh Patrick is only about 45 minutes away using the scenic route. (Took my out of shape butt 5.25 hrs up & down)

I stayed a total of 2 nights and would gladly stay again. Good value for the money.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Milwaukee
Reviewed 9 March 2011

Clean, comfortable rooms and some very kind hosts made this a great choice. Right in the center of town, try Griffins Bar for great craic. Breakfast options include the nicest cheese plate i've seen and that includes France! Best of all, free wifi in rooms.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 19 January 2011

Great B&B in most respects, with kind owners and reasonable prices. Rooms are pretty well-appointed and there was even a full-length mirror in the hallway, which is always nice to have. My only complaint would be that it was cold in the rooms, the heat was barely on but we were only there for a night so we survived...Clifden is a nice town with some good pubs and the Connemara has extraordinary scenery. Well worth a visit.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
No set address
Reviewed 26 December 2010

Turns out the young woman knitting was Regina, owner with her husband, Jim. They took us in, my husband and I and another couple with whom we traveled. Totally wonderful! Charming rooms, great hot water, comfy bed, and the breakfast table the next morning was covered with a crisp white cloth, cloth napkins, silver butter holder and a very nice breakfast. It was a lovely beginning to a sunny day. We credit the sunshine to the Kingstown House, with their care, humor, and such attention to detail. This "port in a storm" was our favorite accommodation in Ireland!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank Homelessx2
London
Reviewed 2 December 2010

This is a rather large B&B in the center of Clifden. I chose it because most places in November have closed for the season. The place was basic with fairly cold rooms, outdated furnishings, small/thin towels and some mold on the walls. But the rooms were also spacious enough and clean and the hosts were friendly. The sitting room looks out onto the street but was a great place to sit by the fire on a cold, icy day. Breakfast was basic but with plenty of food. I'd say there are other places in Clifden better than Kingstown, but if you need a place to stay, or are on a pretty low budget, this place is fine.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple