“Sub-par B&B compared to other experiences”
Review of Kingstown House

Kingstown House
Reviewed 15 September 2013

We checked in earlier today and I will say that we were early and the hostess generously accommodated us. Our room was ready but the bathroom hadn't been cleaned yet, which was fine. However I noticed the bath smelled strongly of mildew which in my experience doesn't happen overnight, that's something that builds up over time and cleaning wasn't going to fix that. I asked if it would be possible to move to a different room, Regina readily agreed but reminded me the bathroom hadn't been cleaned yet. We moved up to the 3rd floor and were given our choice of rooms. They were all small but it was just for a night so we picked one.
Here's the deal, this place is fine for a night. The beds are hard (that's subjective but I personally don't like hard beds) and the water pressure is so weak I doubt I will be able to wash my hair because I don't think there is enough pressure to get it rinsed. It's an old house, I get it, but again, in comparison to our other experiences at B&B's on this trip, this isn't acceptable to me. The location is good, we reached Kylemore in 18 min. I'd suggest choosing a different place.

Room Tip: I'd suggest asking for a room at the back of the house as this is in town center and you may hav...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank bschoenherz

Reviewed 9 September 2013

Regina and Jim Hopkins B and B was one of the nicest stays I've had in Ireland. They are truly a pleasant and accommodating couple that will help you in every manner regarding your stay with them including whatever suggestions or information you require on driving Connemara. The breakfast is what really shines and I do not believe I have ever stayed at another B+B that actually gives you a menu, spoiled for choice...delightful. The beds were very comfortable for as little time as a I stayed in them and the sitting room was a great spot for a bottle of wine, cheese and wifi catch up and planning day trips

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Nicopernicus
Reviewed 28 August 2013

I highly reccommend this B&B to anyone. Everything about it is top class, perfect location, lovely place, spotlessly clean, warm & cosy but top of the list has to be the warm welcome we got from Jim & Regina. It was like visiting family. thanks guys from Derek & Joanne

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank westawake2016
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

The Kingston House is quaint and well maintained with a great central location in Clifden, but what really makes it special are it's owners, Jim and Regina. From the moment we arrived, they did everything they could to help us get parked and settled. They gave us great tips about what to see and do around Clifden, but most of all they were so warm and welcoming they felt like long lost friends. We only spent one night in Clifden, but they made us wish we could have stayed longer! Before we left, Regina served us a delicious breakfast, and she even gave us a copy of the recipe for her yummy homemade scones. We would definitely recommend staying at the Kingston House when visiting Clifden.

• Stayed: June 2013
3  Thank WalterFamily
Reviewed 15 July 2013

Normally, one tries to save the best for last. However, that was not the case on our recent vacation in Ireland. My wife and 5 children (the youngest is 19) spent 9 nights in Ireland. It was divided with the first 3 in Clifden, the next 3 in Dingle, and the last 3 in Dublin.
Without a doubt, our stay at the Kingstown House was the best of the three (and the other two places were also very good, BTW). The establishment itself is very charming. It was decorated just like a beautiful older home would be. The rooms were very comfortable, the amenities complete, and the showers nice and hot. There is also free parking just a short walk from the B&B.
The breakfasts were very generous and delicious. I now have a new appreciation for white pudding. In addition to the food itself, our hostess Regina had every detail covered, including silver napkin rings around linen napkins. She also used linen table cloths. These are all things that my wife appreciated.
Speaking of Regina, she and her husband Jim could not have been any nicer. They are both very friendly, always with smiles on their faces, and very helpful, offering us great suggestions on what to see and where to go shopping. My whole family fell in love with them, and we still laugh when thinking about our experience with them.
I would absolutely not hesitate to recommend the Kingstown House to anyone visiting the area.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank Joseph L
Reviewed 28 June 2013

Clifden and Kingstown House are growing on me!! This was our third consecutive year staying with Jim and Regina and it gets better every year. Kingstown House has been in Regina's family for many years. She, and her American born husband Jim, have been running it for, I believe, nine years. They are both great people, super friendly and a delight to talk with. Both are very knowledgeable about the area and can recommend things to do. The B&B is an older multi-story building, much like a small hotel. As such, the stairs are a bit creaky, the floors a bit uneven, the general decor a bit dated-----it all adds to the overall charm of the place!! We love it!!
This year I felt like Clifden had a real uplift from prior years. Nearly all buildings were occupied--many with new, interesting shops. I noticed tourist buses parked in the downtown area which I don't recall from previous years. (Not necessarily a good thing--but for the town--Yes.)
The location of Clifden and the B&B are both great. Drive the Sky Road and the less famous Bog Road toward Roundstone. Head up the road to Kylemore Abbey. Ask for directions to Clifden Castle--on private property, not easy to find, not much parking--but well worth the walk to explore. And the B&B is centrally located. Park the car and walk anywhere in town. Some great shops and pubs for music. We especially like J. Conneely's Pub for music.
But when it comes right down to it---the best of all are Jim and Regina. You'll never find better hosts. See ya next year guys!!!

Room Tip: If you need an en suite room be sure and ask.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank kilted2
Reviewed 16 June 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stayed here for a night while on our honeymoon in Ireland and had a wonderful time. The owners, Regina and Jim, were very helpful and gracious, giving us great tips on what to see in the area. Our rooms were spacious and comfortable, and breakfast was great. The location is perfect- you could park on the street nearby overnight and the town square was just around the corner. Would definitely recommend this B&B, and would come back the next time we find ourselves in Ireland!

• Stayed: June 2013